Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ne0matr1x

White Paint Only Matex?

I am choosing colours now for my house.

My contractor says I can get 5 + 1 colours. 5 being any colours in the normal Nippon catalog and +1 is actually ceiling white (Matex).

I wanted my walls to be pure white too, but was told by him that for pure white, only Matex have. If I want those 3 in 1 kind they don't have pure white but instead shades of white.

Is that true?

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Matex is the cheaper color($48 20L)

you have have nippon 5000 series ($70 20L)slightly better,

nippon or ici ($60 5 L)

for owner who didnt know the different, contractor will give you matex(nippon brand also) but you will regret immediate after 6 months. have you ever touch a white wall at any carpark and the white power drop? matex will get dirty very easy.

If you paint your home, you better get a good paint that last you min 5 year. Under standard painting specification, the min standard for indoor wall is using SS300.

All range of brand have white color unless you insist a offwhite colour.

Since you pay $$, insist to have a min 3-in-1 indoor color.

All paint are white, then mixed with color. So white for Dulux, Nippon, Berger 3in1 exist. Anyway, do watch out for a painters' trick. You say Dulux, he use some other brand to save money. But still charge u Dulux.

Hi guys, thanks for the advise. Just got some info from my contractor. My 5 + 1 package is 5 colours from the Nippon Vinilex 5000 series plus white (only Matex) for the ceilings)

Is 5000 series enough? Or shoud I insist for other ranges such as washable or 3-in-1? I heard 3-in-1 very hard to touch up, will have dark patches if touch up including the light colours also.

All paint are white, then mixed with color. So white for Dulux, Nippon, Berger 3in1 exist. Anyway, do watch out for a painters' trick. You say Dulux, he use some other brand to save money. But still charge u Dulux.

Hi matrix, I agree. I heard my contractor say that some IDs can give you odour-less or all-in-one paints, but they will give the "chiong" type of paints too. He says painters can have 1000 and 1 ways to "trick" you into believing its what you are paying for. So one way to authenticate is he will take the actual picture of the cans before painter start painting. But even this, the painter can put the "chiong" paint into "original" tins I guess.

Is that true?

Another question to ask. My whole house is doing plaster to make smooth finishing and there are also areas of false walls and cornices and my kitchen walls have the wall tiles removed and now with cement screet. Im planning to paint the whole house including the kitchen walls.

What is the ideal base of 1st layer coat before final finishing coat? Is it sealer or matex? I also heard that after using sealer, its very hard to apply colours to the wall as the sealer cause the wall to be "water-proof".

Anyone care to enlighten?

don't use cheap nippon matex paint la. use nippon 5170 oil sealer primer and nippon odor~less all-in-1, odor~less easywash or easywash. u can pay painter labor fee and buy nippon paint and ask shop to delivery to your house.

What DEAN mention is true > buy your material and pay for the job( pass dun too cat, you want cheap work or standard work that last your house longer)

For raw cement surface or plaster surface, die die you need a OIL SEALER..nippon 5170 oil sealer primer is very good, only about $10 different compare to Kangeroo brand..

For my project, i usually supply materials so i am ensure what i got and engage skill painter to go a good work. they will need to do all protection and maskingtape all my skirting, door frame etc.

Is it sealer or matex? I also heard that after using sealer, its very hard to apply colours to the wall as the sealer cause the wall to be "water-proof".

the fact is, after apply sealer, then you will more easy to apply color coat. If there is a mark on the wall, the new coat will not able to cover it if there is no sealer.

If you have false ceiling, the screw use to faster the ceiling board, silicon use to sealing the edge,The area will start to turn yellow after 2 years, dun believe, ask your friend who live in condo to check their kitchen or bathroom. Why? they didnt use sealer (price for sealer is 3 time more then matex)

Hope you understand by now.

Hi guys, thanks for the advise. Just got some info from my contractor. My 5 + 1 package is 5 colours from the Nippon Vinilex 5000 series plus white (only Matex) for the ceilings)

Is 5000 series enough? Or shoud I insist for other ranges such as washable or 3-in-1? I heard 3-in-1 very hard to touch up, will have dark patches if touch up including the light colours also.

I used Nippon Vinilex 5000 series for my current house. It has been 3 years, the colours are still looking good.

Another question to ask. My whole house is doing plaster to make smooth finishing and there are also areas of false walls and cornices and my kitchen walls have the wall tiles removed and now with cement screet. Im planning to paint the whole house including the kitchen walls.

What is the ideal base of 1st layer coat before final finishing coat? Is it sealer or matex? I also heard that after using sealer, its very hard to apply colours to the wall as the sealer cause the wall to be "water-proof".

Anyone care to enlighten?

Dun confuse sealer and matex. Tink of sealer as part of the plastering, not a paint. All walls need sealer to lock in the plastering dust, in preparation for a painting. Without sealer, it's like trying to paint over dust. Next time u paste masking tape over the wall and peel, u will see a dusty patch left behind. If got sealer, no paint will come off.

Sealer gives the impression of "waterproofing", but actually wad it does is that it blocks the paint from seeping into the plaster. Without sealer, the paint will just seep more and more into plaster. Paints are chemicals with colour pigments with different permeability, and when it seeps into the plaster, there is no guarantee that the resultant effect is a consistent colour. thus sealer is useful cos it creates a consistent surface for the painting.

Matex is a white wash. Is just a cover up, not meant as a final finish, and ideal for ceiling as most ppl prefer to have a matt finish ceiling. Using other paint may create a low sheen, some ppl dun like. If u really keen to understand this topic.. these are interesting readings..

http://www.nipponpaint.com.sg/advice/diy-guides/paint-guide-interior

http://www.bca.gov.sg/Professionals/IQUAS/painting.html

Matex is the cheaper color($48 20L)

you have have nippon 5000 series ($70 20L)slightly better,

nippon or ici ($60 5 L)

for owner who didnt know the different, contractor will give you matex(nippon brand also) but you will regret immediate after 6 months. have you ever touch a white wall at any carpark and the white power drop? matex will get dirty very easy.

If you paint your home, you better get a good paint that last you min 5 year. Under standard painting specification, the min standard for indoor wall is using SS300.

All range of brand have white color unless you insist a offwhite colour.

Since you pay $$, insist to have a min 3-in-1 indoor color.

Where can get Nippon 5000 series 20L for $70?