Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Oh apology, should have highlighted earlier.

Not only for window handles, even kitchen table top, must note not necessary standard 800 or 850, have to add on the base plinth, chinese wok height, soup pot height, plus the hob burner support, and also the 2 plate drainers on top of the sink, usually have 2 layers top and bottom, so must measure base on top layer, can't be too high, and also top cabinet, some say 700, some 750, some 800, don't just follow standard blindly, and also consider top cabinet handle, if install midway, surely cannot reach, consider top cabinet with opening grooves below the door type,( lower still manageable, but if too high, got to live with it for long time).

When I design these, I usually have to take reference my wife height or the domestic helper height, because they are the ones spending most time on using these items -- to me, no need to follow standard, customize to suit our own needs more important

Many things to consider..,,,,

Edited by jumbopanther

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi Jumbopanther, I am keen to know your thoughts on security. For example, should windows have locks on them? and grills? How does one mitigate against the risk of break-ins? many thanks for any insight you may have!! :bow:

Hi Jumbopanther, I am keen to know your thoughts on security. For example, should windows have locks on them? and grills? How does one mitigate against the risk of break-ins? many thanks for any insight you may have!! :bow:

Mitigate? Be like 7-11. Hang a sign that says "House has less than $30 after dark." :D

BTW, I think I lived in condo for too long already, so my sense of security is really poor (as you can probably tell). When we go for breakfast or grocery shoppings in the morning, I just close the auto-gate. Everything else is left opened! Hahaha

Hi Pud, well for security, so many options to consider:

1) dog- get one that really barks

2) grilles- yes (but looks ugly); no (but inviting trouble), if it is high floor, like 3rd sty, you can consider do without grilles, unless the thief is 'Spider-Man'

3) window that can lock- yes, and all windows using same lock and key system ( for convenience) otherwise, you will spend yr time hunting around which key for which window

4) intruder alarm system- door contacts and window contacts, that can set off alarm and also to link to SMS; as well as panic button/ duress button- so during emergency,go straight to one button and set off alarm; if need more security, can link to monitor company eg ADT, to monitor for you 24/7

5) CCTV camera- install those that can view and record day and night, location of cameras are important, cover all possible routes- link to Internet for remote viewing-if got budget- program video analytics- that can trigger SMS when rules are breached eg intrusion, climbing of fence, crossing of line etc, with VA, you no need to keep staring at the CCTV monitor, they will trigger alert to u auto.

6)motion lights for front and back porch - once movement, automatic lights on

7) learn 'martial art' or 'unarmed combat'

8) keep a baseball bat below the bed....

Sorry, am straying too far.....

Edited by jumbopanther

Though I had not come to this stage of my construction yet, maybe I start to share first, in case some of you are in the midst of doing this.

On the topic of folding doors, some may install these folding doors or 'big windows', but have not taken into consideration whether open inwards or outwards.

By default, contractor will usually assume to open 'INWARD'. however, if you intend to install curtain (which usually will), then please note that you should install the folding doors OUTWARDS, otherwise, if open inwards, the curtains will come into the way of the folding doors:

A sample photo (not my house):

bi-fold_door-3.jpg

Another point to note, there are some 'big folding window' or full-open casement window'supplier in the market which are not intended to function as normal doors, so if you want to install it, please remind supplier that you intend to use it as a door, so must install a lockable door handle somewhere in the middle of the door. Otherwise, they may not install it, and the opening or closing/locking of the folding doors are right at the bottom. What happen is that every time, you enter and get out of the house, you will have to bend down. That's too troublesome

Ha Ha you guys are very funny..... :sport-smiley-004:

Form a neighbourhood committee with your immediate neigbours

or

you forgot to add, a chopper welding "fierce wife" is also added security :disturb:

Ha Ha you guys are very funny..... :sport-smiley-004:

Form a neighbourhood committee with your immediate neigbours

or

you forgot to add, a chopper welding "fierce wife" is also added security :disturb:

Can also pay the domestic helper extra and get her to 'roam' around the house up and down, for patrolling duties.

Though I had not come to this stage of my construction yet, maybe I start to share first, in case some of you are in the midst of doing this.

On the topic of folding doors, some may install these folding doors or 'big windows', but have not taken into consideration whether open inwards or outwards.

By default, contractor will usually assume to open 'INWARD'. however, if you intend to install curtain (which usually will), then please note that you should install the folding doors OUTWARDS, otherwise, if open inwards, the curtains will come into the way of the folding doors:

A sample photo (not my house):

bi-fold_door-3.jpg

Another point to note, there are some 'big folding window' or full-open casement window'supplier in the market which are not intended to function as normal doors, so if you want to install it, please remind supplier that you intend to use it as a door, so must install a lockable door handle somewhere in the middle of the door. Otherwise, they may not install it, and the opening or closing/locking of the folding doors are right at the bottom. What happen is that every time, you enter and get out of the house, you will have to bend down. That's too troublesome

Jumbo,

my folding door just finished installation liao. this time dont need to :bangwall: because i folded outward not inward as my window contactor says it is more secure and prevents flooding. (dont wish to test it out)

:yamseng:

Jumbo,

my folding door just finished installation liao. this time dont need to :bangwall: because i folded outward not inward as my window contactor says it is more secure and prevents flooding. (dont wish to test it out)

:yamseng:

Great, you got it right! fold outwards.

Hi Pud, well for security, so many options to consider:

1) dog- get one that really barks

2) grilles- yes (but looks ugly); no (but inviting trouble), if it is high floor, like 3rd sty, you can consider do without grilles, unless the thief is 'Spider-Man'

3) window that can lock- yes, and all windows using same lock and key system ( for convenience) otherwise, you will spend yr time hunting around which key for which window

4) intruder alarm system- door contacts and window contacts, that can set off alarm and also to link to SMS; as well as panic button/ duress button- so during emergency,go straight to one button and set off alarm; if need more security, can link to monitor company eg ADT, to monitor for you 24/7

5) CCTV camera- install those that can view and record day and night, location of cameras are important, cover all possible routes- link to Internet for remote viewing-if got budget- program video analytics- that can trigger SMS when rules are breached eg intrusion, climbing of fence, crossing of line etc, with VA, you no need to keep staring at the CCTV monitor, they will trigger alert to u auto.

6)motion lights for front and back porch - once movement, automatic lights on

7) learn 'martial art' or 'unarmed combat'

8) keep a baseball bat below the bed....

Sorry, am straying too far.....

hahaha...thanks , all brilliant ideas and good food for thought. i also like the 7-11 suggestion and the chopper wielding wife ideas!!! one more idea, have the house look as crappy as possible on the outside !! :yamseng:

hahaha...thanks , all brilliant ideas and good food for thought. i also like the 7-11 suggestion and the chopper wielding wife ideas!!! one more idea, have the house look as crappy as possible on the outside !! :yamseng:

Or hang this sign at the front gate:

DDAB3030-633B-465D-A5C3-6C20498D0A8F-1336-00000178C7C06F56.jpg

Today, I want to talk about buying old houses and demolish, re-built, renovate or change roof:

On 29 Sep, I wrote a comment on fellow forummer "My Sweet Little Wajek House" about the risk and staying away from house demolition for fear of "abestos", my comments were:

"Your ID is right if he is referring to asbestos roof. Some old houses still used roof with asbestos insulation, and I understand that asbestos has already been banned in Singapore because prolong inhalation of asbestos fibre can cause cancer. Therefore, these old roofing have to be discarded properly. My advice, if your hse has asbestos roof, try not to be around when they are being dismantled and disposed."

and today, The Straits Times carried an article about this same danger also: See below. Basically, this abestos has been banned in Singapore since 1989, but in old houses, they could still be there, for eg, roof sheet, ceiling boards etc, because they are good insulation material, but was known to cause cancer.

So in short, friends, please stay away when the contractors demolish your house, even you don't know whether they are there or not. Just to be safe.

journeyphoto.jpg

Edited by jumbopanther

Today, I want to talk about buying old houses and demolish, re-built, renovate or change roof:

On 29 Sep, I wrote a comment on fellow forummer "My Sweet Little Wajek House" about the risk and staying away from house demolition for fear of "abestos", my comments were:

"Your ID is right if he is referring to asbestos roof. Some old houses still used roof with asbestos insulation, and I understand that asbestos has already been banned in Singapore because prolong inhalation of asbestos fibre can cause cancer. Therefore, these old roofing have to be discarded properly. My advice, if your hse has asbestos roof, try not to be around when they are being dismantled and disposed."

and today, The Straits Times carried an article about this same danger also: See below. Basically, this abestos has been banned in Singapore since 1989, but in old houses, they could still be there, for eg, roof sheet, ceiling boards etc, because they are good insulation material, but was known to cause cancer.

So in short, friends, please stay away when the contractors demolish your house, even you don't know whether they are there or not. Just to be safe.

journeyphoto.jpg

Phew! Architect confirmed that mine are cement roof tiles :)

Heard that abestos roof can only be disposed by authorized companies :)