Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
calmwaters

Hdb Electricity For Appliances

Hi all,

I am planning to renovate my brand new 4rm HDB soon but I have already bought quite some Electrical Appliances.

But lately I was told by a sales person that I need to becareful about the items I purchase cos sometimes if purchase wrongly and my house's power unit cannot support then end up cannot use.

Thus I was wondering how does the 13A, 15A, 16A, 30A things work on our power unit???

I plan to have

-1 Built in oven that is 16A

-1 Induction Hob that is 30A

-1 External Big Electric Heater for showering

-2 System3 Air-Con Compressors

-1 Washer cum Dryer

-1 Fridge

So how many 30A or 15A can my house support at a time? If cannot support means my electricity will trip???

Thanks for the advise!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I assuming the sales person is talking abt the MCB(Main Circuit Breaker) in your Home DB. for common practice usually our home would have 1 or 2 20A MCB and the rest of the MCB are 16A, 13A etc. Normally the electrician would cater more than enough MCB rating to the household

20A MCB -1 Built in oven that is 16A

32A MCB?? -1 Induction Hob that is 30A (are you sure your hob so high power consumption?)

16A MCB -1 External Big Electric Heater for showering

20A MCB - 2 System3 Air-Con Compressors

13A MCB -1 Washer cum Dryer

16A MCB -1 Fridge

Lighting wise should be using 5A MCB

Oh I checked e hobs in the spec sheet already. Its 26A thus I think thats why she says need 30A. She say all 3-4 zones induction hobs all need 30A one.

U mentioned that there is only 1 or 2 20A MCB. But I am having 2 Air-con compressors and 1 built in over that uses 20A MCB. That means I need 3 x 20A MCB already right? Does that mean I need to forgo one of the items? Or can the Electrician add many 20A MCBs?

And to what I know, the HDB flats nowadays are only 40A.

Does that mean I can only turn on 40A of appliances at any one time?

Means if I turn on my Air-cons, then I cannot cook???

Thanks for your help!

Edited by calmwaters

Oh I checked e hobs in the spec sheet already. Its 26A thus I think thats why she says need 30A. She say all 3-4 zones induction hobs all need 30A one.

U mentioned that there is only 1 or 2 20A MCB. But I am having 2 Air-con compressors and 1 built in over that uses 20A MCB. That means I need 3 x 20A MCB already right? Does that mean I need to forgo one of the items? Or can the Electrician add many 20A MCBs?

And to what I know, the HDB flats nowadays are only 40A.

Does that mean I can only turn on 40A of appliances at any one time?

Means if I turn on my Air-cons, then I cannot cook???

Thanks for your help!

the ratings are for MAX power consumption, if all your a/c is at full blast, then ya you cant cook. if not you'll get power trips. you can ask your electrician to install an amp meter to see how much power you are drawing currently.

30A induction hob only for condo or landed; hdb cannot support. If i'm not mistaken, your induction hob is the 4 zone type. You can use 2 zone type which use 15A power. You can go for 2 X 2 but not 1 X 4.

Edited by taichipanda

Oh.......... Max power only 40A... that is not good.. hahaha.

Meaning if I install 2 compressors and full blast, I cannot even use any other appliances in the house. Cannot even on my lights????

Yah I think I will be going for a 2 zones induction hob instead. But even that will take up 15A power.

40A seems too little!

Meaning if I install 2 compressors and full blast, I cannot even use any other appliances in the house. Cannot even on my lights????

Yah I think I will be going for a 2 zones induction hob instead. But even that will take up 15A power.

40A seems too little!

So many high powered electrical items, good luck to your monthly electrical bill, easily a few hundred dollars. :dancingqueen:

new hdb, sure have gas heater. so instead of using electric heater, use gas heater.

can you make do with 1 system 4 air con instead of 2x system 3?

and definitely cannot use 4 zone induction hob. i cook quite a lot and for someone to cook big portion (sometimes for 8 people), i usually use 2 hobs only. any more, will not be able to handle already. you can get a separate portable induction for soup which you can place anywhere else and use the 2 hobs for your cooking.

the portable induction can be kept if not in use..... do you do heavy cooking everyday?

40A seems too little!

40A little? to put into dollars and cents

At 40A power for 1 hour you need to pay, 40x220, 8800Wh = 8.8kWh

1 kWh about 28.78cents now hence

8.8 * 0.2878 = $2.53 dollars just for power for 1 hour.

Edited by marble

Haha I wont be full blasting All of my appliances every time lah.

But I am thinking that I will definately full blast the whole house Air-con and lights when I have guests in my house. Such as house-warming, friends gathering kinda stuff. So the high electricity bills for just that few days in a couple of months should be alright I guess.

And if we were to get together in the living room with the guys while the ladies go into the kitchen to do some cooking. Then sounds like the power aint going to hold.

My wife don't do heavy cooking thats why I am thinking of getting 2 zones induction hope will be sufficient as well.

But just the thought of All other appliances cannot be used at the same time especially with the Air-con is a little sad.

Haha I wont be full blasting All of my appliances every time lah.

But I am thinking that I will definately full blast the whole house Air-con and lights when I have guests in my house. Such as house-warming, friends gathering kinda stuff. So the high electricity bills for just that few days in a couple of months should be alright I guess.

And if we were to get together in the living room with the guys while the ladies go into the kitchen to do some cooking. Then sounds like the power aint going to hold.

My wife don't do heavy cooking thats why I am thinking of getting 2 zones induction hope will be sufficient as well.

But just the thought of All other appliances cannot be used at the same time especially with the Air-con is a little sad.

Hdb limits your ac to 8.5A each. Unless you blasting both compressors should be enough.

Oh I just saw e Mitsubishi Booklet says that e Aircon I getting can reach 14.14A max for HDB flats without current limitation. So hopefully I can still continue to run my fridge, turn on all my lights and do some cooking?

Oh I just saw e Mitsubishi Booklet says that e Aircon I getting can reach 14.14A max for HDB flats without current limitation. So hopefully I can still continue to run my fridge, turn on all my lights and do some cooking?

The ac isolator only 20A. 2 compressor shld be got limited current