Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Minerat

Journey Of My Minaret Walk

Yes, did new roof from the front to the back using German tiles, much much less than $17k.

My long time contractor quoted me $7k for a simple roofing, I went with Perfect Deco for $1.5k thereabout.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

After staying there for a week, I realized I did not do the most important thing of them all! I need a lift! Any lobangs and can I still do now? It's either that or knee replacement surgeries down the road.

After staying there for a week, I realized I did not do the most important thing of them all! I need a lift! Any lobangs and can I still do now? It's either that or knee replacement surgeries down the road.

Lift maintenance is not cheap, also it will eat into the floor area of every floor in your house.

your bedroom is on the 3rd floor? Take it as daily exercise? :sport-smiley-003:

Our master bedroom was originally on the 3rd floor, I gave it up for my girls and will be using the room (2 single room combined to one) on the 2nd floor as the new master room instead.

Figured the young ones will need something to spend their energies while old folks like me can't climb too high. :P

Lift maintenance is not cheap, also it will eat into the floor area of every floor in your house.

your bedroom is on the 3rd floor? Take it as daily exercise? :sport-smiley-003:

Our master bedroom was originally on the 3rd floor, I gave it up for my girls and will be using the room (2 single room combined to one) on the 2nd floor as the new master room instead.

Figured the young ones will need something to spend their energies while old folks like me can't climb too high. :P

Even my young ones hate climbing up to the 3rd floor :bangwall:

No way, don't think about it. it is as good as A&A, and you have sewage pipes running leading to the IC within your plot.

Myself, wife, daughter are staying on the 3rd level. I initially complain a lot, got used to it after a year.

Spend our evenings in the family area on level 3. Equip yourself with Food and Beverage and SNACKS.

Nice & cosy house! Looking forward to your review on your IDs. Btw, is Donny that ID who worked for Mae's house under reno blog also?

Yah, same Donny :)

Okay, before I share the pictures..let me share abit about my experiences with the mover. For those who have followed my T-blog, you would have known that I had a very bad experience with the previous mover whom I engaged to move out of my previous house. This time round, I was determined to get a good mover. And the mover of choice is CYC Movers

I must really give them 2 thumbs up!! :thumbs up:

For a start, they are very very careful when handling my stuff. That means they are not as fast as other movers but I'd trade that any day to ensure that my things are moved properly. The reason,as I found out, is that each team will only move 1 house a day. Unlike my previous mover who have to rush for another job, CYC movers have the luxury of time to do things slowly, carefully and properly.

They took off their shoes while inside the house, and no trolleys come into my house. All items get hand carried to the trolleys outside. If there's a need to shift heavy furniture so that they can shrink wrap them, they make sure to lift the furniture, and not drag them.

Just look at how they protected my piano. BTW, CYC Movers and the previous one both charged me $80 extra to move the piano but the way they handled my piano is so different! The previous mover just shrink-wrapped it and use cut-board pieces to pad the corners. CYC Movers first shrink-wrapped the piano, then wrap another layer of bubble wrap (those commonly used to protect electrical appliances), then another layer of shrink-wrap, then wrap with the corrugated cut-board protection, and finally another shrink-wrap!!

pic000376.jpg

They also brought along 2 chiller boxes so that I can pack the food in the freezer and fridge into those chiller boxes, before the move.

At the new house, they have to use the trolley to move the piano into the house, so before they do so, they placed the same corrugated cut-board materials on the floor to ensure that the floor is protected. All boxes and other furniture gets hand-carried while inside the house.

All in all, I am very happy with CYC Movers. In fact, I tipped each worker $50 each :yamseng:

I will HIGHLY RECOMMEND them!!

Hi, Can PM me the contact for CYC movers?

How much did they charage you in totoal for moving ?

Thanks

Hi, Can PM me the contact for CYC movers?

How much did they charage you in totoal for moving ?

Thanks

PM ypu already.

Review of Donny and James

It is weird to have to deal with 2 IDs. Who do we instruct what and when? Luckily things settled down after a while as we quickly learned that James is the creative element and Donny is the project manager.

First and foremost, I think the 2 of them made a great pair (not that kind of pair though 8| ) as their strengths complement each other. While James is the creative one, he sometimes get carried away without considering the practicality aspect of the design. Donny is the more pragmatic and practical of the 2 and he will point out challenges, issues and workarounds that sometimes a designer may either fail to see, or sacrifice for the sake of design. They are both able to value-add and highlight areas whereby I could do better, or not do to be better.

Both of them are very responsible and very responsive. From the day that my reno started till handover, I can honestly say that they are on site almost everyday to check on the progress and defects. As with most reno, hiccups occur here and there and they won't shirk their responsibilities or try to argue with you unlike other IDs. They always accept their mistakes and are quick to rectify.

I am also very happy with the way they've scheduled the works, with everything lined up perfectly. Not a day goes by where no work was done (other than Sundays and public holidays of course).

Now for some of the items which they can improve in. I am appalled at how unobservant they are. Even though they visit the site everyday, yet I was the one who is constantly highlighting the defects to them. Some of these defects were also pretty obvious that I am surprised they didn't spot them before me. Of the 2, James is pretty forgetful and sometimes forget our requirements or things get done incorrectly. We have to keep reminding him, and things still cock up despite that. To be fair to him, our requirements change constantly too, so it's hard for him to keep track sometimes :P But like I've said, they are both very accommodating and responsive to our requests...then again we are also very accommodating to the various mistakes made :P

Their contractors were all pretty good and accommodating to us as well.Workmanship wise,I can't really hiam much, minor hiccups here and there which they rectify immediately.

Having said that, no relationship is perfect and we are very happy with them so far. The reno experience has been very positive for us and we will not hesitate to recommend them to others. :yamseng:

Need some help from the gurus here. I noticed that the aircon insulation did not run all the way to the compressor. The ends of the pipings connected to the compressor were not insulated. I've checked with the aircon person and she said that is the normal practice. So the question is, is it really the normal practice?

1349483486picsay1349483.jpg

Need some help from the gurus here. I noticed that the aircon insulation did not run all the way to the compressor. The ends of the pipings connected to the compressor were not insulated. I've checked with the aircon person and she said that is the normal practice. So the question is, is it really the normal practice?

1349483486picsay1349483.jpg

Short brief of how aircon works( minus the very detailed processes)

Each outdoor compressor to each fan coil unit in the Hse has 2 pipes: gas & liquid lines. Liquid out from compressor and gas into the compressor. These are for heat exchange, (stage 1) removing heat from the room via the gas line, (stage 2) use compressor and fan to discharge the heat to outdoor, (stage 3) has becomes liquid and liquid flows to the Hse indoor fan coil unit, then back to stage 1-liquid becomes gas when heat from room is removed, and so on.

So it is very important to insulate the gas and liquid lines thoroughly to prevent heat loss or heat gain.

In short, yes, it is good and standard practise to insulate all pipes right into compressor

I've checked the other compressors and they all insulate right into the compressor. Only the new one I installed didn't. ****..still trying to pull a fast one over me! :furious: