Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
r0_ger

Dining Table Top

Hi all, pls share your experience with the various kinda table top for your dining table. Currently considering between tempered glass and solid or veneer wood top.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi all, pls share your experience with the various kinda table top for your dining table. Currently considering between tempered glass and solid or veneer wood top.

Me trying to custom make 1.

Looking at teak table frame with Quartz top :sport-smiley-004:

Me trying to custom make 1.

Looking at teak table frame with Quartz top :sport-smiley-004:

Me also thinking of custom make 1 too.

Raw solid oak frame with quartz top. :yamseng:

If i choose the quartz top from premium range, the top itself will cost more than $1000. :jawdrop:

Edited by taichipanda

Me also thinking of custom make 1 too.

Raw solid oak frame with quartz top. :yamseng:

If i choose the quartz top from premium range, the top itself will cost more than $1000. :jawdrop:

I have asked few teak shop some have no confident as they say quartz very heavy afraid the teak table look obiang coz thick legs :(

Some quote me 300+-600+ so I now still hunting around once I got it will post pics...simply love teak

I still have a teak coffee table and 2side table intend to bring it back to life but install quartz top on it :dribble:

I am sure it'll look nice

I have tempered glass.......and rather prefer not to have it.....

It is so hard to have the table top clean cause EVERY spot is visible, from fingerprints onwards.... You must polish it really few times until is spotless otherwise it wil look dirty..... It is the same like for the window glass, some times it driving me crazy when I see some spots there, but it's not so big problem like for the table with glass top.....

And not to mention scratches, you cannot avoid them.....my friend warned me not to buy this kind of table cause she has it and know how is hard to maintaine - but, I wanted it badly....

Yes, it is very nice and it looks like not to bulky, but......really, if I will be in situation that I will need to buy a new one, never again with glass top.

Table / Table Top use for eating should NOT & NEVER be made of glass, they don't look tough, very fragile and fake unless you choose to have your 'rice-bowl' get shattered! Nothing will beat the following:

Best Table Top should be made of natural material. Why natural stuff? Because if they get scratches, we can rectify it. They are 100 times tougher than glass top. Do yourself a simple drop test. Drop a glass of 250ML water from a ceiling height onto your glass table top, both glass will shattered. Drop a bottle of your favourite liquor (XO?) onto granite top from 10 storey high, you will find your liquor all over the place. If still not convinced, throw a few bottles of tiger beer and see what the outcome?

Best will be Natural Granite Top -

2nd will be Natural Marble Top

3rd will be Wood (Wood type depends on the price you willing to pay)

For Support:

Best - will be coming from same material, e.g. for Natural Stone, the support should be made of that Stone.

2nd - Stone Top support by Metal legs (First and Last Choice - Solid Stainless steel support)

3rd - Stone Top support by Wooden Legs (best if you can find a trustworthy wood trader and get him to sell you genuine Chengal (1st choice) or Kapoh (2nd Choice). And then get a good carpenter to help customise the support for your stone top. Chengal or Kapoh are the only wood that 'love' water; they are getting rarer and rarer hence the high cost. They are use to build midsize boat or ferry. In Singapore a lot of aquarium hobbyists uses these wood to support their large size fish tank which can weight up to more than a ton. So what is that piece of Granite Top? The unique feature of these wood type is the more the wood 'touches' water, the stronger they are, unlike those teak wood or any bedframe or sofa frame wooden structure.

**beware of saleman telling you that theirs are genuine marble aka natural marble. Cultured (man-made) marble will give a warmer feel even you are in air-con area. In an air-coned showroom, natural marble or granite top should give you a cooler feel when you use your palm to feel it. Best if you request the salesman to politely stand aside first while you examine the product. Unless you like to talk to people/salesman who doesn't even know what they are selling & get coned by them.

The only disadvantage is natural stone is 'afraid' of coloured dye from fruit or spices like curry gravy, red wine, etc. Because stone surface is quite porous, red wine, or juices from mangosteen will seep into them.

I have tempered glass.......and rather prefer not to have it.....

It is so hard to have the table top clean cause EVERY spot is visible, from fingerprints onwards.... You must polish it really few times until is spotless otherwise it wil look dirty..... It is the same like for the window glass, some times it driving me crazy when I see some spots there, but it's not so big problem like for the table with glass top.....

And not to mention scratches, you cannot avoid them.....my friend warned me not to buy this kind of table cause she has it and know how is hard to maintaine - but, I wanted it badly....

Yes, it is very nice and it looks like not to bulky, but......really, if I will be in situation that I will need to buy a new one, never again with glass top.

Same for me. Have tempered glass top for my dining table. I also regretted it. Nice to see but it's so Impractical. Buy it if u have someone to clean up after u else it's an eyesore to see the fingerprints.

Hi Casa/TaichiPanda

Read your post about custom making a quartz dining table. Did you manage to do it? If yes please kindly share the details as I am also keen to do the same. Thanks in advance!