Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
valkilmer

Need Help With Tenant Issue

My tenant from India rented my whole unit and shifted in on 1st January 2012 and we did a thorough cleaning with a cleaning company before handing over the unit. We had also stayed in my own unit for slightly more than 1 week before the current tenants moved in without having any issues.

On 1st Jun, the tenant’s agent called us regarding a bad infestation of bed bugs and wanted us to replace all the furniture + pest management service and be fully responsible for the beg bug problem in the house.

We refused because of several reasons after doing some homework and the below are quoted from Wikipedia:

Dwellings can become infested with bed bugs in a variety of ways, such as:

▪ Bugs and eggs inadvertently brought in from other infested dwellings by visiting pets,[37] or a visiting person's clothing or luggage

▪ Infested items (such as furniture, clothing or backpacks) brought in

▪ Nearby dwellings or infested items, if easy routes are available for travel (through duct work or false ceilings)

▪ Wild animals (such as bats or birds)[38][39] that may also harbor bed bugs or related species such as the bat bug

▪ People or pets visiting an infested areas (apartment, subway, movie theater, or hotel) and carrying the bugs to another area on their clothing, luggage, or bodies

With all the references above, how could anyone pin point that we were the ones who brought in the bed bugs? It would be very unfair to let the landlords bear the full consequences based on something indefinite.

Prior to this, the tenant engaged a pest management company on the 8th May with a follow up on 22 May and advised them to throw away all heavily infested mattresses and furniture. Apparently the tenant did not know what to do and only wrapped up the mattresses and continued to sleep on infested beds.

The tenant and agent met up with us a few days later and we came to a settlement whereby we will pay for the first pest control and replace 1 bed and the sofa if it cannot be salvaged. The tenant will pay for the subsequent pest control and replace the other 2 beds.

The pest control company came on 8th June and the tenant asked them how long the bed bugs have been there. He replied “1 or 2 months” and that bed bugs take about 1 month to multiply. Based on his answers, if we minus 3 months from June, it will be in March that the bed bugs came in. The tenant shifted in on Janurary, there are subsequent 2 months where nothing happened. That’s a few more reasons to think that it couldn't be us.

Today, 22nd June is the 3rd and the last treatment and the pest control guy said that there is a heavy infestation inside the parquet and asked us to replace all of it. It has put us in a very difficult position as we have already agreed to pay for the pest control and furniture, now we still need to pay for re-doing up parquet which is going to cost a bomb.

The tenant’s agent kept using the sentence on us “it’s fully the owners duty to keep the house in a tenantable condition”. How should we deal with such statements when it concerns of a pest, not a structural default or defect in the house?

Fellow readers, what will you do if you were in our shoes? Any good advice will be deeply appreciated.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

My tenant from India rented my whole unit and shifted in on 1st January 2012 and we did a thorough cleaning with a cleaning company before handing over the unit. We had also stayed in my own unit for slightly more than 1 week before the current tenants moved in without having any issues.

On 1st Jun, the tenant’s agent called us regarding a bad infestation of bed bugs and wanted us to replace all the furniture + pest management service and be fully responsible for the beg bug problem in the house.

We refused because of several reasons after doing some homework and the below are quoted from Wikipedia:

Dwellings can become infested with bed bugs in a variety of ways, such as:

▪ Bugs and eggs inadvertently brought in from other infested dwellings by visiting pets,[37] or a visiting person's clothing or luggage

▪ Infested items (such as furniture, clothing or backpacks) brought in

▪ Nearby dwellings or infested items, if easy routes are available for travel (through duct work or false ceilings)

▪ Wild animals (such as bats or birds)[38][39] that may also harbor bed bugs or related species such as the bat bug

▪ People or pets visiting an infested areas (apartment, subway, movie theater, or hotel) and carrying the bugs to another area on their clothing, luggage, or bodies

With all the references above, how could anyone pin point that we were the ones who brought in the bed bugs? It would be very unfair to let the landlords bear the full consequences based on something indefinite.

Prior to this, the tenant engaged a pest management company on the 8th May with a follow up on 22 May and advised them to throw away all heavily infested mattresses and furniture. Apparently the tenant did not know what to do and only wrapped up the mattresses and continued to sleep on infested beds.

The tenant and agent met up with us a few days later and we came to a settlement whereby we will pay for the first pest control and replace 1 bed and the sofa if it cannot be salvaged. The tenant will pay for the subsequent pest control and replace the other 2 beds.

The pest control company came on 8th June and the tenant asked them how long the bed bugs have been there. He replied “1 or 2 months” and that bed bugs take about 1 month to multiply. Based on his answers, if we minus 3 months from June, it will be in March that the bed bugs came in. The tenant shifted in on Janurary, there are subsequent 2 months where nothing happened. That’s a few more reasons to think that it couldn't be us.

Today, 22nd June is the 3rd and the last treatment and the pest control guy said that there is a heavy infestation inside the parquet and asked us to replace all of it. It has put us in a very difficult position as we have already agreed to pay for the pest control and furniture, now we still need to pay for re-doing up parquet which is going to cost a bomb.

The tenant’s agent kept using the sentence on us “it’s fully the owners duty to keep the house in a tenantable condition”. How should we deal with such statements when it concerns of a pest, not a structural default or defect in the house?

Fellow readers, what will you do if you were in our shoes? Any good advice will be deeply appreciated.

While I don't have any experience with a similar issue, I am not sure how you are going to get the tenants to pay for parquet replacement. Is your objective to get the tenants to pay for the pest treatments as well? You may need to sit down and settle this. Indeed it is the responsibility of the landlord to keep the house in a tenantable condition. You may need to research on what this point means.

As far as pest control is concerned, have you tried getting a second opinion as well? I am in the management committee of my condo and in my limited experience, different pest control companies use different products with varying costs and vastly varying effectiveness. I am also surprised that the pest control company points out to the parquet infestation only at the 3rd treatment. Overall, might be useful to get a second or even third opinion.

Finally, I am not sure the of relevance of the tenants being Indian to the entire issue. Having it in the topic of your post is unnecessary and in my personal opinion, inappropriate. What are you trying to achieve with that really?

i understand that i have to keep it in a tenatable condition. but what if they bring in cockroaches, hair lice or rats..all these under land lord? they reported this problem after 5 mths. and still my issue? i am at a lost. the parquet also i pay for it?

=(

Finally, I am not sure the of relevance of the tenants being Indian to the entire issue. Having it in the topic of your post is unnecessary and in my personal opinion, inappropriate. What are you trying to achieve with that really?

valkilmer, i don't think this issue got anything to do with the nationality or the race of the tenants. the problem is the bed bugs infestation.

I am not sure that bed bugs can go to parquet, only termites would.

i would suggest you get 2nd opinion as what lonerwithaboner said. then if really need to replace, then i would suggest that you get the tenant to move out then redo the flooring with tiles. there is no way to proof they brought the bed bugs in.... count it as unlucky loh.

valkilmer, i don't think this issue got anything to do with the nationality or the race of the tenants. the problem is the bed bugs infestation.

I am not sure that bed bugs can go to parquet, only termites would.

i would suggest you get 2nd opinion as what lonerwithaboner said. then if really need to replace, then i would suggest that you get the tenant to move out then redo the flooring with tiles. there is no way to proof they brought the bed bugs in.... count it as unlucky loh.

i never mentioned that it's got to do with indians or nationality. just mentioned it to be in detail of what is happening..it's really frustrating me alot. they were extra rude and nasty to me and want me to bear full cost of everything. i don't believe in luck anyway. i will try to find a way.

However your topic sent a different frequency

I had edit your topic - remove the nationality

i never mentioned that it's got to do with indians or nationality. just mentioned it to be in detail of what is happening..it's really frustrating me alot. they were extra rude and nasty to me and want me to bear full cost of everything. i don't believe in luck anyway. i will try to find a way.

i guess its equally frustrating to the tenants as well to be living in a place that have bed bugs and they are not sure also how it become so bad. that is why they are frustrated and rude and nasty?

well, i can see it as 3 ways only, either you pay or they pay or again share the cost. since you will find a way, then i am sure it will come to whatever way you want.

u got clause to say that tenants to maintain the condition of house and furniture?

if yes, they broke the clause, keep the deposit and evict them asap.

get a written statement from the pestbusters to judge when the infestation probably started.