Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
whitehousey

White House...

The Kitchen Top came in. :sport-smiley-004:

We wanted to use silestone but with this much top involved it was going to burn a hole in our pockets...

Finally settled on LG Hi-mac.

2875e528.jpg

The oven at it's new height.

868c405d.jpg

There was a lot of gap around the dishwasher which we asked our ID to sort out.

49f9e711.jpg

Artichoke.. Either you love it or you don't. We do. :D

336e94f8.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Should go for CaesarStone 1141 (20mm) quartz instead of LG Hi-mac 100% acrylic, I worry it will be an eye sore for you in 5 years time.

How long is the 2 L-shape kitchen cabinet? You can calculate yourself, just X $250 pfr. Will not burn a hole in pocket.

taichipanda, u can b caesarstone's salesperson leh! See this comment in many T blogs :P

I guess to each their own preferences. Likewise for me, I considered the joint lines a greater eyesore than the scratches n stains on my LG Hi-mac. This is before i factor in the consideration of cost. Moreover, if 5yrs later my solid surface is really stained, I can opt to polish it. It'll still b cheaper than caesarstone.

taichipanda, u can b caesarstone's salesperson leh! See this comment in many T blogs :P

I guess to each their own preferences. Likewise for me, I considered the joint lines a greater eyesore than the scratches n stains on my LG Hi-mac. This is before i factor in the consideration of cost. Moreover, if 5yrs later my solid surface is really stained, I can opt to polish it. It'll still b cheaper than caesarstone.

ya, he loves silestone and ceasarstone a lot a lot :wub::wub::wub:

i also think that joint lines re greater eyesore. let's say 5 years later, really so badly stained, i am ok to polish it or else, just replace the whole thing loh.... 2 times using LG /samsung is cheaper than 1 time of quartz. heheheh :bleah:

Edited by May_dream1

ya, he loves silestone and ceasarstone a lot a lot :wub::wub::wub:

i also think that joint lines re greater eyesore. let's say 5 years later, really so badly stained, i am ok to polish it or else, just replace the whole thing loh.... 2 times using LG /samsung is cheaper than 1 time of quartz. heheheh :bleah:

I'm totally with you guys on this. And I've also seen taichipanda's multiple suggestions to everybody about caesarstone, so much so that I was actually expecting such a reply from him when I wrote my last post. But hats off to you Taichipanda for your enthusiasm!

There are always so many different "levels" you can select for any one of your purchases. Choosing one that would meet my needs for function/looks(being honest here) vs the price was the recurring question throughout this whole renovation process.

For flooring, all my bedrooms already have timber flooring so I had to consider between timber throughout the house or just the standard homogeneous tiles..

Marble came into the picture too but I couldn't justify the price difference so I settled with Homogeneous tiles.

For the toilet bowls and sink, we first considered the China brands then came across Japanese and European brands.

We finally settled on Toto. I also don't know why we chose it but I think/hope they will last.

For taps, we also wanted something cheap but ended up with the lower range of Hansgrohe.

Is it better? I don't know either.

For furniture, we like the wood look and were choosing between the cheaper IKEA stuff, other veneer stuff and finally settled on solid wood.

This was an expensive option but we know that solid wood furniture will last so we took the plunge.

When choosing a fridge, we had to choose between paying almost double for a made in Korea Samsung or the made in Indonesia Samsung.

Ended up with the Korean one.

When choosing an oven.. This one was difficult.

I really wanted a Gaggenau because I bake a lot... after a lot of "discussions" we settled for a basic Brandt that was about 4 time cheaper.

My conclusion after all these choices is very simple. When you pay more, you usually(not always) get better stuff but then you'll be stuck with those for a longer time. If I got all cheap particle board Ikea furniture at 1/3 the price of my furniture, I can change them every few years when it's out of fashion and even when friends come over and damage it I wouldn't feel too much about it.

Do I regret any of my purchases so far? Well not yet, but I'm pretty sure I will have new preferences down the road and that will be reflected in my next home. :D

Edited by whitehousey

Do I regret any of my purchases so far? Well not yet, but I'm pretty sure I will have new preferences down the road and that will be reflected in my next home. :D

*thumbs up!* it boils down to personal preferences la.. i had the same discussion alot of times with my husband too.. whether if we should go all out throughout the house or be selective.

btw where did you get ur coffee table and bench from? scanteak?

i am trying to hunt down a few minor pieces of furniture to fit my house..

thanks~

How you hide the cables with TV mounting on the wall?? Nice!

Yeah that's nice right. It's a secret... Haha.

The TV was just mounted without any cables in this photo actually.

The contractor mounted it without plugging anything in and it was so difficult for us to plug in everything after.

Yup it's not as pretty now with the cables dangling.

most importantly, its your home. as long as you are happy...... and when we make decision at that time, have to take into consideration everything.

Seeing your home now, looks so clean and cosy... like all the teak wood furniture! :dancingqueen:

*thumbs up!* it boils down to personal preferences la.. i had the same discussion alot of times with my husband too.. whether if we should go all out throughout the house or be selective.

btw where did you get ur coffee table and bench from? scanteak?

i am trying to hunt down a few minor pieces of furniture to fit my house..

thanks~

I love this coffee table. Probably my favourite piece of furniture in the house actually!

yeah they are from scanteak. :D