Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

anyone have experience installing this? What to consider? and any recommendation on article/website for me to read up on. Thanks

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

anyone have experience installing this? What to consider? and any recommendation on article/website for me to read up on. Thanks

Hi wuga98

i am also considering solar panel for my new home. Came across this company Hyland Holdings Pte Ltd, website is www.sunpower.com.sg

tel 63564001 i made an enquiry and the person said min 20panels, size 2 x1m each, with awning structure for landed house will cost estimation $25000.

need to meet up with sales person for more details. they have free talk every sat 10am to 12pm.

just call them to register. return on investment depends on your consumption. 10 years warrenty.

hope that information is useful for you

I was at a trade show in Indonesia and there were quite a few solar panel manufacturer on the show.

Guess what? A 2x1m solar panel is only around US$100! Of cos this is just panel only..

On grid or off grid that you want?

1. On grid meaning sunny days you sell power to power grid with all the sophicated metering and sofeware that do the work. At night, you buy electricity from power grid. No dc storage battery involved. Powerone is the leader in this field in Singapore NOW, they are "experimenting" with HDB at punggol new town.

Basically u need:

- "flexible" photo-voltaic panels, which can collect maximum sun-power during sun rse till sun set. If yr total installed panels could collect ONLY "half" and less of the maximum possible, forget the idea. Meaning, efficiency of panels usage = 50%. Once this source is 50%, the "downstream" "workers" will be working at 50% and less usage rate.

- individual inverters of various sizes like 5kva, 10kva...can be connected in parallel to increase capacity. Sell MORE to power grid.

- Tokong metering and software to do the power-selling calculation job. Bear this in mind, power grid must agree to the formular and, in case, you sway sway, your inverters cause a short circuit or glitchs to the commercial power lines. Power grid reserves rights to sue u for damage/compensation.

Find out the $ rate of WH, calculate HOW MUCH you can sell per day of 12 hr maximum production (area, panel count)then do a breakdown analysis with risj-free of damaging power grid property, you will find out....BETTER SCRAP THE IDEA OF INSTALLING SUCH AT HOME.

2. Off grid needs DC solar battery - this configuration means for equipment which need to work 24hr/day to maximise its yield. Sunny days, pannels produce the "up & down" voltages to "voltage regulators" which charge up the storage battory. During cloudy days or days without sunlight, battery keep discharging... This config is BEST to be installed in unmanned locations whereby the equipment run 24hr/day. You need

- solar panel

- voltage regulator,

- DC storage battery bank, not cheap, depending on design life, daily DOD. This is a consumable item in this config, need to be replace at some time-interval.

- inverters

Indonesia Telkomsel, Malaysia BP, use a lots of such config in many remote areas. Remember, "unmanned" also mean "harsh" environmental conditions.

I was at a trade show in Indonesia and there were quite a few solar panel manufacturer on the show.

Guess what? A 2x1m solar panel is only around US$100! Of cos this is just panel only..

Almost 3 yrs ago, i bought a "rollable" solar film, R-28, from jet hobby, cost me $579. It produce 28 watt, can be rolled out, measured abt 2 meter by 0.4 meter. I use that to charge up those lithium polymer batteries that I used for flying RC plans.

After the "enthusiastic" period, now the panel is "cool storaged" in my storeroom. Why like that?

http://www.jethobby.com.sg/cgi-bin/ezsite/prod/manager.cgi?action=show&pid=1918&cid=113&idx=1&gid=25

I have also bought a "solar charger" for charging up mobile phone from chinese-web called dinodirect. ONLY after a few days of usage, i accidentally dropped the charger onto floor, its glass solar panel said bye bye to me. I wrote in a fierce and strong recommendation to DINODIRECT to change all its range of glass solar panel to plastic or equivalent which can stand the drop test. Now I understand why steve Job insisted "no plastic part" outside the 4S.

On grid or off grid that you want?

1. On grid meaning sunny days you sell power to power grid with all the sophicated metering and sofeware that do the work. At night, you buy electricity from power grid. No dc storage battery involved. Powerone is the leader in this field in Singapore NOW, they are "experimenting" with HDB at punggol new town.

Basically u need:

- "flexible" photo-voltaic panels, which can collect maximum sun-power during sun rse till sun set. If yr total installed panels could collect ONLY "half" and less of the maximum possible, forget the idea. Meaning, efficiency of panels usage = 50%. Once this source is 50%, the "downstream" "workers" will be working at 50% and less usage rate.

- individual inverters of various sizes like 5kva, 10kva...can be connected in parallel to increase capacity. Sell MORE to power grid.

- Tokong metering and software to do the power-selling calculation job. Bear this in mind, power grid must agree to the formular and, in case, you sway sway, your inverters cause a short circuit or glitchs to the commercial power lines. Power grid reserves rights to sue u for damage/compensation.

Find out the $ rate of WH, calculate HOW MUCH you can sell per day of 12 hr maximum production (area, panel count)then do a breakdown analysis with risj-free of damaging power grid property, you will find out....BETTER SCRAP THE IDEA OF INSTALLING SUCH AT HOME.

2. Off grid needs DC solar battery - this configuration means for equipment which need to work 24hr/day to maximise its yield. Sunny days, pannels produce the "up & down" voltages to "voltage regulators" which charge up the storage battory. During cloudy days or days without sunlight, battery keep discharging... This config is BEST to be installed in unmanned locations whereby the equipment run 24hr/day. You need

- solar panel

- voltage regulator,

- DC storage battery bank, not cheap, depending on design life, daily DOD. This is a consumable item in this config, need to be replace at some time-interval.

- inverters

Indonesia Telkomsel, Malaysia BP, use a lots of such config in many remote areas. Remember, "unmanned" also mean "harsh" environmental conditions.

[/quote

Thank you Bepgof for the information, i am looking at on-grid. will keep in mind what you mention before i commit to this solar panel.

Thanks, 20panels can generate how much of power?

Hi wuga98

i am also considering solar panel for my new home. Came across this company Hyland Holdings Pte Ltd, website is www.sunpower.com.sg

tel 63564001 i made an enquiry and the person said min 20panels, size 2 x1m each, with awning structure for landed house will cost estimation $25000.

need to meet up with sales person for more details. they have free talk every sat 10am to 12pm.

just call them to register. return on investment depends on your consumption. 10 years warrenty.

hope that information is useful for you

Thanks, 20panels can generate how much of power?

the brochure said system :11.76kw solar power generator (42nos solar panels)

savings 1,500wh per month. which is about $465 at present rate.

i really need to sit down and work out my sums first : )

any idea how much is the system? I need around ~1500kw to 1800kw per mth

Don't forget that you buy at retail price and sell back to the grid at wholesale price.

Sorry for digging out an old topic,  recently have been contemplating installing solar panels over my slopping down roof tiles(mind is not flat roof) but as usual, unable to convince myself for lack of  better understanding or relevant information. Has anyone done installation over the last 12 months , i suppose  the price has dropped significantly, how much did it cost ?any roof leak problem after installation  ? Is the rewiring of on grid setup massive ? 

Thanks in advance. 

When I installed solar panels on my roof, I was worried that my roof would be leaking as well, but thankfully, everything was good. I also thought I would have some problems with Solar generators, but I got lucky, and I managed to avoid all the possible problems. I hope you won't have any issues, just pick a decent company that will do everything.

Solar panels are the best option for home use but I am the only one in my area who uses a solar panel and my wish is that every person should use solar panels. I tried out Star Win Solar company I have become a huge fan of it. My personal opinion is that this company is best for solar panels.

Edited by Mike Ortan