Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Babysteps

Remaking A 3Rm Hdb

Hi,

Before I got my flat, I google for a lot of information, and found very good sources, including Renotalk. I would like to rant and rave about how challenging it is for a single chinese above 35 yo (think subsidies, racial quotas, COVs, prices that increase faster than my paycheck) to buy a flat, but this blog is strictly to write down the reno journey so the next person can make an informed choice. Paying it forward lah.

After months of viewing, I bought a 3 Rm HDB in Telok Blangah. Am now actively talking to contractors and IDs, as the 7th month is approaching, and Mom is very insistent reno start before or after it!

Submitted my queries to Renotalk, and got endless phone calls, all wanting to meet up and find out more before sending in quotations. Unfortunately, it was a very busy month for me, weekends burnt, and it's really not practical for me to meet 10 companies right... Several still submitted, and I shortlist 4 to meet for further discussion.

So far, I've met with 3 of them, and my first impressions are:

- mostly very good customer service. gone are the days of the ah beng contractors (I know, cos my uncle was in this business :P). However, it remains to be proven if this is still the case once deposit is paid and work starts. Enough horror stories heard.

- they all give very diverse, sometimes impractical ideas on how to handle my reno challenges (piping block a toilet wall that I want to hack, kitchen too long and narrow for my island table etc etc).

- cost varies, but some do charge A LOT MORE for certain works. I wonder if it's because they outsource it?

- workmanship is something I worry most, and so far, none has been able to assure me of this. I don't expect anything to last 10 years, but also don't want to spend money and fix anything in the next 2 years.

- even though it's my first time, I can tell who has not much experience in this line, from the way quotation/ space planning is done. My 4 years of tertiary education finally comes in handy.

- some of them are too eager to sell granite countertop, it's beautiful yes, and costly, but I am quite partial to the ceramic tile Moroccan/ Spanish look leh.

Meeting with the 4th guy end of the week, and after which I will decide on one, and share here who is the chosen one :D

Hope there are no major hiccups and things will be smooth sailing. Obviously if they do a good job, I'll give a glowing report. Fingers crossed!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Welcome to RT! I know what you mean to buy as single and also have to handle Reno on your own. I was in same situation as you too. So you can pm me if you have any queries.

Hi there, welcome to RenoTalk. You can post your queries here if you need some opinions. We'll try to provide answer whenever possible.

:yamseng:

Sorry to hijack this thread - Tachichanpa - do you accept PM (can't seem to msg u)? wanted to ask you abt quartz top, please PM me?

Sorry to hijack this thread - Tachichanpa - do you accept PM (can't seem to msg u)? wanted to ask you abt quartz top, please PM me?

i accept PM but if you have question on quartz top, you can ask in this thread. i'll try to answer you.

Guess much would it cost to cement screed the floors of a 3rm HDB, excluding the bathroom? I'm not hacking the floors, just overlay.

The highest I'm quoted is $3600!

Supply and lay wall and floor tiles for 2 toilets? $4600...and for up to $2.50psf selection.

Not sure if I still want to meet and listen to their idea............

Guess much would it cost to cement screed the floors of a 3rm HDB, excluding the bathroom? I'm not hacking the floors, just overlay.

The highest I'm quoted is $3600!

Supply and lay wall and floor tiles for 2 toilets? $4600...and for up to $2.50psf selection.

Not sure if I still want to meet and listen to their idea............

normal price to reno a toilet is about $5k including wall and floor tiles, piping, accessories, toilet bowl, mirror etc etc. so for 2 toilets, will be abt 10k. So $4600 for tiles are not that bad.... all depends on your floor area and wall area.

Finally found an ID whom I feel comfortable with. He was the only one who told me I can't change my toilet bowl direction, and I need a fire rated door since my place is next to the lift.

However, certain items he quoted I thought was on the high side, but I'm no expert. If anyone here has experience in the below items, please let me know:

6.5ft walk-in wardrobe: $1455

fire rated door: $1700

door frames for 2 x bedrooms and store room: $510

Also, if I have a L shape cabinet, and it's 8ft one side, 5 ft the other side, it should be counted as 12ft right? since there is an overlapped area.

There are other items, but I don't like to bargain for everything. They are doing this for profit afterall.

By the way, does anyone know to rewire a 3Rm HDB will cost how much? And if I don't rewire, but just add/ change switches, is it cheaper?

Now I understand why some of my friends say "to get your dream home, you need to live through a nightmare" :)

Finally found an ID whom I feel comfortable with. He was the only one who told me I can't change my toilet bowl direction, and I need a fire rated door since my place is next to the lift.

However, certain items he quoted I thought was on the high side, but I'm no expert. If anyone here has experience in the below items, please let me know:

6.5ft walk-in wardrobe: $1455

fire rated door: $1700

door frames for 2 x bedrooms and store room: $510

Also, if I have a L shape cabinet, and it's 8ft one side, 5 ft the other side, it should be counted as 12ft right? since there is an overlapped area.

There are other items, but I don't like to bargain for everything. They are doing this for profit afterall.

By the way, does anyone know to rewire a 3Rm HDB will cost how much? And if I don't rewire, but just add/ change switches, is it cheaper?

Now I understand why some of my friends say "to get your dream home, you need to live through a nightmare" :)

how many ID / contractor you met? none told you that you cannot change toilet bowl position and need fire rated door? :jawdrop: thank goodness now you found quite a good one. :yamseng:

$223 pfr is a bit high, usually abt $200-$220 but i think its not that bad. if he will give you overall discount then will even out.

the fire rated door a bit ex.... but other bedroom and store room door price is ok. my fire rated door was $1200.

depends on the condition of the flat. if the wiring was done more than 10 years ago, better for you to rewire again. as for prices, really depends on how many power point and lighting points that you want. some ppl want 20 downlights in living room, then will be 20 x $30 (roughly) = $600. but for me, i only need 6 points so only 6 x $30 = $$180. i have 17 double sockets, so its 17 x $55 = $935 but if you only want to have 10, then it could be $550 only. so if you want a lot, then you pay more. for my 4 room, i only paid slightly less than $3k. for 3 room, i think maybe $2-$2.5k?

Edited by May_dream1

I only met 3 before this. Thought as long as the toilet bowl uses the same hole, it doesn't matter if it faces the same way or 90deg away. Wanted to save some space for the wash basin. Didn't know HDB regulate this.

$510 isn't door price. It's door frame :)