Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Wongtoutou

Will Overlay Method Suits Me? Please Help

Hi guys im planning to do a full renovation for my 3-room hdb (40 yrs old)

The flooring based is hdb stock cement through out the living/bedrooms/kitchen. Even kitchen wall has no tiles.

The only places that has tiles are a small area of the balcony floor , common toilet floor and master room toilet floor n wall. ( done by hdb abt 6-7 years ago during upgrading in my area)

Have been using those flooring thin sheets to lay all this years.

Im wondering am i suitable to use overlay method to do my flooring? Since there isnt any tiles at most places and i can spend on other place like replacing all the doors , gate n windows and also aircon.

I supposed cement n sand would be used right? Would it be able to smooth out my old not so perfect cement floor?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Welcome to RT :yamseng:

U can check with your contractor who is doing the tiling for U

Hi guys im planning to do a full renovation for my 3-room hdb (40 yrs old)

The flooring based is hdb stock cement through out the living/bedrooms/kitchen. Even kitchen wall has no tiles.

The only places that has tiles are a small area of the balcony floor , common toilet floor and master room toilet floor n wall. ( done by hdb abt 6-7 years ago during upgrading in my area)

Have been using those flooring thin sheets to lay all this years.

Im wondering am i suitable to use overlay method to do my flooring? Since there isnt any tiles at most places and i can spend on other place like replacing all the doors , gate n windows and also aircon.

I supposed cement n sand would be used right? Would it be able to smooth out my old not so perfect cement floor?

Hello :sport-smiley-018: ,

That will be just laying of tiles. not overlay. unless you are talking about the balcony and the two toilets, laying over existing tiles will be overlaying :D Are you planning to overlay these areas with existing tiles? Usually i won't recommend my houseowners to overlay, especially for wet areas and if they are planning to stay for another >5 years.

And yes they will smooth it out before laying your new tiles if not easily become hollow.

Have a smooth sailing renovation~

:yamseng: ,

Mike

Hello :sport-smiley-018: ,

That will be just laying of tiles. not overlay. unless you are talking about the balcony and the two toilets, laying over existing tiles will be overlaying :D Are you planning to overlay these areas with existing tiles? Usually i won't recommend my houseowners to overlay, especially for wet areas and if they are planning to stay for another >5 years.

And yes they will smooth it out before laying your new tiles if not easily become hollow.

Have a smooth sailing renovation~

Mike

LOL haha oh ya should call it laying haha. So its more cost effective right? Cannot be hack away the cement and relay haha..

Then for those package that comes with hacking, i can ask for a lower pricing right? Since only hacking toilets.

Since its a package, i doubt they will give lower pricing la... :deal: For mine is Ala carte so if houseowners want they can always add or subtract any work that they want or dun wan. Usually they gave up some works/ideas because of budget constraints. hahaz :sport-smiley-004:

Anywayz overlaying existing tiles is definitely cheaper then hacking and then laying new tiles. But you will never know when the 'hidden' tiles will give way as they might be hollow already. Unless your contractor help you check before overlaying the existing. The rest will depend on workmanship and environment. ;)

For your case most likely no need hack. But all depends on existing conditions, you've got pics? :paint: Wellz have to see to have a clearer picture then can give better solution. :thumbs up:

Mike

Edited by mikeyong500

No pics leh.. Too chui to show the world LOL.

Oh ya is it better for me to get this items on my own then leaving them to renovator ?

Things like

-cooker hob hood

-toiletbowl n basin

-heater

-windows n grills

-main gate n door

-bedroom doors

-aircon

Can save more right? Can bargain and more shop to choose from

Edited by Wongtoutou

No worries! After renovation it will look good! Then you can go start a topic at T-blog and post beautiful pictures~

Hmmm as for the items... you can actually buy yourself or ask your ID/contractor bring you to buy. Cuz sometimes they got special price or discounts or even net price. hehez :sport-smiley-004:

So i would say mix and match ba... cuz you may juz walk by some shops and like their items. :D

Juz do note that whatever you wanna buy have to let your ID/contractor know lo so they can advise you, especially on the dimensions whether can fit anot. I believe your ID/contractor would have told you that when you guys meet up for discussions =) Did they not? :o

Mike