Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
eekenji

Second Home ~ Tampines 5I

Finally decided to start our reno T-blog ~ have been reading renotalk for many months ...

Searching for dream home

Have viewed for more than 20 units since April ... finally found the one we love. We were so particular on the floor plan, we fall in love on the floor plan of the 3rd unit we viewed but we still not eligible to buy during that time (our first home still haven't met the 5 years MOP). After viewing of few units and we decided to stick to that area with similar floor plan, this actually restricted and we only have limited choices .. i.e. it really took us few months to find the unit we like. Peoples feel strange that we buying house for its floor layout ... Our first home was located in walking distance to Bedok MRT and we really like Bedok this area, it was so convenience and many nice food markets around; but we decided to look for other areas after viewing two units in Bedok. The hdb selling in Bedok was really overprice and we started to look around for areas such as Tampines and Sengkang .. finally we settled our second home at Tampines.

The new place we bought was around 15 years old and it was at the top floor ..

First appointment fall on September and we probably will collect our key around end October ...

Here's the original floor plan and the design we plan to do :

1343128467-80397651.jpg

1343128466-305075740.jpg

Things to do :

• Foyer : (1)Full height shoes cabinet (2) bench c/w storage cabinet.

• Living Hall : (1) Homogenous tiles (2) L box (3) TV console

• Balcony : (1) level up and lay homogenous floor tiles (2) install white casement window.

• Kitchen : (1) Counter bar (2) Cabinet with laminate soft closing doors. (3) Floor tiles (4) misc.

• Common and attached bathrooms : Hack existing and re-build all.

• Master Bedroom : (1) Bay window bench c/w storage cabinet. (2) walk-in wardrobe

• Common Bedrooms : (1) Bay window storage cabinet.

• Service Balcony : Transform to study room -- flooring and wall tiles, study table.

• Study Room : Transform to play room -- (1) Fabricate wall with sliding glass doors. (2) Bay window cabinet.

• Plumbing, electrical, cleaning ..

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Congrats on your purchase. We have the exact same layout, also in Tampines!

Looking forward to seeing the process of your planning and shopping :D

Nice layout! No wonder taking a long time to find. Congrats!!

Just a comment, the washing machine and dryer with little gap to kitchen counter? Will you be able to walk in between? Or even open the door of dryer?

Congrats on your purchase. We have the exact same layout, also in Tampines!

Looking forward to seeing the process of your planning and shopping :D

Thanks tessina ~ I guess we bought the same area ... I think only that area in Tampines has that layout :P

When u going to collect your key? Can share your T-blog?

Hi there!

Welcome to T-blog~

Have a a smooth sailing Renovation!

Cheers :yamseng: ,

Jaskel

Thanks Jaskel ~ your girls are cute ... my girl still stay inside my tummy, only 4mths now :P dragon girl.

Nice layout! No wonder taking a long time to find. Congrats!!

Just a comment, the washing machine and dryer with little gap to kitchen counter? Will you be able to walk in between? Or even open the door of dryer?

Thanks May_dream1, we also have some concerns on the little gap .. guess it was around 0.4m and shall be ok to fit in one person. Our washing machine was top-loaded, so shall be ok .. hehe.

Update of layout to include the wordings:

- convert service balcony to study room ... wonder if anyone do this before?

- current study room will change to play room ...

1343172577-2053551639_n.jpg

Thanks Jaskel ~ your girls are cute ... my girl still stay inside my tummy, only 4mths now :P dragon girl. Thanks May_dream1, we also have some concerns on the little gap .. guess it was around 0.4m and shall be ok to fit in one person. Our washing machine was top-loaded, so shall be ok .. hehe. Update of layout to include the wordings: - convert service balcony to study room ... wonder if anyone do this before? - current study room will change to play room ... 1343172577-2053551639_n.jpg
I m impressed with your drawing - so neatly done and precise. I like your flat layout too. Good idea to convert service balcony to study room but the entrance can be from MBR rather than kitchen. What abt your laundry? without a service balcony/yard, how do u intend to hang ur clothes/place your mops/broom? Edited by potatoes

Thanks May_dream1, we also have some concerns on the little gap .. guess it was around 0.4m and shall be ok to fit in one person. Our washing machine was top-loaded, so shall be ok .. hehe.

Update of layout to include the wordings:

- convert service balcony to study room ... wonder if anyone do this before?

- current study room will change to play room ...

1343172577-2053551639_n.jpg

double congrats! going to have a baby dragon gal..... :dancingqueen:

you put there as washing machine and dryer. For washing machine, you can get top load, but i have not seen a top load dryer. all are front opening so i am not sure whether you can put both dryer and washing machine side by side with only 0.4m space only. And you can't stack your dryer on top of your washer since your washer is top load.

Like what potatoes said, where is your store room? you will need a store room to put all kind of stuff unless your playroom is cum store room as well (which is not advisable since your kids will be inside playing). i see you have 2 sided to full height cabinet..... is one of it so called store area?

Thanks tessina ~ I guess we bought the same area ... I think only that area in Tampines has that layout :P

When u going to collect your key? Can share your T-blog?

Blk 7xx :D

Expecting collection only around end October, so haven't started T-blog yet.

So many different possible layouts which we have in mind to leverage the space.

Do you plan to get an ID or just work direct with a contractor?

I m impressed with your drawing - so neatly done and precise. I like your flat layout too. Good idea to convert service balcony to study room but the entrance can be from MBR rather than kitchen. What abt your laundry? without a service balcony/yard, how do u intend to hang ur clothes/place your mops/broom?

Hi potatoes, I draw using photoshop (i.e. can have different layers for different items) .. I guess autocad can give more precise drawing but I long time didn't use autocad :P

There will be 2 entrances to the new study room, one from master bedroom and one from kitchen. Previously I only think to have one door connect to MBR but my husband said he want to have a door connect to kitchen as well .. so at night while using his computer at study room, he can enter to kitchen directly without passing by our MBR.

We not going to hang clothes as we are using dryer .. Right now in our Bedok 3 room hdb, we also didn't hang clothes .. everything go thru dryer .. we are super lazy type :P

double congrats! going to have a baby dragon gal..... :dancingqueen:

you put there as washing machine and dryer. For washing machine, you can get top load, but i have not seen a top load dryer. all are front opening so i am not sure whether you can put both dryer and washing machine side by side with only 0.4m space only. And you can't stack your dryer on top of your washer since your washer is top load.

Like what potatoes said, where is your store room? you will need a store room to put all kind of stuff unless your playroom is cum store room as well (which is not advisable since your kids will be inside playing). i see you have 2 sided to full height cabinet..... is one of it so called store area?

Thanks May_dream1 ~ will be a 2013 baby dragon if she not coming out earlier ... hehe. 2012 too many dragons, hope can avoid.

Our dryer is front loaded and it has no problem to access because the washing machine will put near to wall while dryer will put outside. i.e. still can load or unload the clothes from dryer front side ... yeah, we cannot stack our washer and dryer unless we want to buy new front loaded washer ...

You guys are right, there is no storeroom. Some of the design of this floor plan have storeroom between MBR and the common bedroom but ours don't have. We are going to use a lot of spaces from baywindow cabinets, shoeshelf, kitchen full height cabinets, walk-in wardrobe to store our stuffs .. or may be some can put inside the new study room (plan to have some shelfs inside the study room). Definitely not going to use space in play room ..

Blk 7xx :D

Expecting collection only around end October, so haven't started T-blog yet.

So many different possible layouts which we have in mind to leverage the space.

Do you plan to get an ID or just work direct with a contractor?

Hi tessina, so we are neighbours !! I guess the unit you bought probably also one of the shortlist unit we viewed. We started to view blk 7xx since April, have tried to view all the available 5 room units in 7xx .. we just focus on the floor plan we wanted. May be we met before during house viewing .. hehe ..

We also have done many possible layouts and this was the one we like the most ... but might change after meeting IDs.

To choose ID or contractor will depend on the quotations they provide .. so far we have met 2 IDs from the expo show, one never reply with quotation after talked for 2 hours and another one returned with a quotations but over our budget. Just the window bay settee with cabinet, she quoted $3k per room, I saw others only done with $1k ... her price really too much.

Welcome to RT

Hope to c your reno pics soon :yamseng:

Thanks casa, will share more pics and ideas we like soon ~

what's the size of this unit? Your 5i unit looks good, i also have a 5i, your layout seems better.

Thanks star 70, the size on this unit around 120sqm ...

Very nice layout to design your space! Happy Reno !

Thanks BoBochacha ~ u called this username because u like to eat bobochacha? :P

Hi,

Congrats on getting a new place!! i'm also looking ard that area :)

you got the top floor? are you concerned abt any leakage problem from the water tank?