Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
wowach

Japanese Minimal/ Scandinavian Living On A Budget

Your contractor should be bringing you to the showroom to have a look. There are different colouration, grain, country of origin etc... So the price varies. You should have some choices for 3.80 psf.

For the cave in your bathroom, you can probably leave it. I wouldn't notice it much of the tiles are the same colour anyways. If that still irks you, you can ask the contractor to cover it up and tile over. Problem solved :)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Yup my contractor will be. But just wondering about the base line prices for such tiles to set my expectations right.

Guess ill just put a glass shelf and call it a day.

Hello!

What a awesome place to learn about home planning and renovation. Just so, so much to know about. Overwhelming to say the least. Hope to use this thread to keep track of my journey (approx 1 year) and to gather opinions of course!

I just signed my OTP and paid my deposit for my 4A resale in Tampines. The first appointment is in October, and I expect to pick up my keys by end-December. Still a long way... but because of my budget, I need to start planning early to cut costs. More on that later.

We love the Scandinavian/ Japanese Minimalism look. Lots of wood, whites, gray. Simple furnishings. We are not interested in those avant garde, modern look. Beautiful and classy as they might be, but I always feel that themes lack the element of a homely cosy feel. Just my preference. ;) As mentioned I have a tight budget to work on. 30K for all-in (Excludes furnishings, electronics, furniture. Includes wiring and plumbing). Further, as my unit is a resale, it is extremely challenging.

Cost is my numero uno concern. Which is why we are open to low cost options like overlaying, laminates, china tops and good-ol-Ikea.

I'm at a very very early stage of my planning. So maybe just a floor plan to share right now. :)

floorplanv.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This floor plan is exact the same as mine in pasir ris st 71.... Bought my unit 10 year back and did not perform any major renovation due to move in condition... Will be thinking of major renovation since i do not want to move/upgrade to a bigger unit( does not make economical sense ).Will be looking how you renovated your house. By the way, you can use the online 3D tool to create your house design.. http://floorplanner.com/...

It is FOC and you can visualize..

Share the design i been working on... Just trying to get use to using it.. It also allow for 3D visualization

houseiw.jpg

Edited by chiansl

This floor plan is exact the same as mine in pasir ris st 71.... Bought my unit 10 year back and did not perform any major renovation due to move in condition... Will be thinking of major renovation since i do not want to move/upgrade to a bigger unit( does not make economical sense ).Will be looking how you renovated your house. By the way, you can use the online 3D tool to create your house design.. http://floorplanner.com/...

It is FOC and you can visualize..

Share the design i been working on... Just trying to get use to using it.. It also allow for 3D visualization

houseiw.jpg

Hi Chian, wow really similar layout. I aim to complete my reno by end-Apr. Yup, I have that floorplanner account too.

A contractor quoted me kitchen cabinet at $220 per feet. I thought that's pretty expensive. Comes with standard soft closing and ABS trimming. Does not include solid top.

Am I being overcharged for this?

Edited by wowach

Hi Chian, wow really similar layout. I aim to complete my reno by end-Apr. Yup, I have that floorplanner account too.

so which ID did you contract and i think you will be using Ah huat for the cabinet carpenter..right ? It happened that ekenji is my colleague..:)

A contractor quoted me kitchen cabinet at $220 per feet. I thought that's pretty expensive. Comes with standard soft closing and ABS trimming. Does not include solid top.

Am I being overcharged for this?

Turns out that its for both top AND bottom. Phew. ;) $110 per feet then.

so which ID did you contract and i think you will be using Ah huat for the cabinet carpenter..right ? It happened that ekenji is my colleague..:)

I'm at the final stage of confirming my contractor. Will reveal once everything is settled. :) I didn't engage Ah Huat actually. Oh, what a coincidence! His workmanship and price is pretty ok actually. But I didn't have the chemistry and had other considerations, so we decided to drop him.

Just did my "dong tu" ceremony today. Even before contractor is confirmed. :D

Just symbolic as today is a good day to "start" renovations according to Chinese Calendar.

Anyone knows what is the market price to relocate storeroom entrance? Intend to shift my storeroom entrance from main living to kitchen side.

Renovation finally starting in 1- 2 weeks time. Settled the finances today.

Our final choice was Alan because

(1) Good reputation in renotalk

(2) Market price

(3) Sincere and easy going, easy to talk to

I see quite a few fellow-Alan renotalkers. Hope I have a smooth reno too.

(2) Market price

welcome to the "Alan" club! :sport-smiley-004:

(2) Market price

Hi we are considering Alan too for our 3A resale which is also a very old & original unit. We share the same budget as you. Would it be convenient for you to share with me the cost of your renovation via pm? He has given us the first quote which is $10k above our budget :(

@retchlow and bleucheeze

Thanks! Been watching ur blog with a keen eye. Looking gd for you guys.

@makan

To be honest, I bust my original 30k budget too... I am hitting closer to 40k.

@northernlight23

PM Sent. Do note i reserve my final judgement on my contractor until the end of my renovation. :) But feel free to get a quote from him.