Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Stinz

How Many Viewings Did You Go Before You Decided To Buy The Unit?

Typically when flat viewing, assuming you have intention to do major hacking type of renovation, what do you need to look out for besides layout, dimensions, ceiling beams that can't be hacked?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Typically when flat viewing, assuming you have intention to do major hacking type of renovation, what do you need to look out for besides layout, dimensions, ceiling beams that can't be hacked?

Prefab walls cannot be hacked.

"Solid" walls cannot be hacked (knock on the walls and hear the sound).

Walls with pipes probably cannot be hacked.

Yes, mine also 4s. I pay $33k for COV. You? Condition of the house is quite good. I am thinking of doing kitchen,toilet and replace only the skin of the build in cabinet in the room. Do u think the toilet in kitchen is very small? I thot of putting a glass to have a wet and dry area in the toilet but it seem impossible to do so... :furious:

I hope our area have more eatery...and do u find our area abit quiet. The future MRT abit stupid, it will stop at the Tampines swimming pool,then walk all the way in to take the main Tampines line,this is so stupid :bangwall: .i think I will take a bus rather than the future line to get to Tampines Mall.

Next time we can discuss how we can do to our flat le :drunk:

I paid $25K COV. Overall condition not bad but I'm redoing the kitchen, toilets, and basics for living room & bedroom :sport-smiley-018: engaging 3D Innovative to do it

Yes ler.. the kitchen toilet super duper small!! :furious: Oh well!!!

My area got many eateries within a few minutes walk. Can walk to 24 hours fairprice. I think urs also can one.

As for me, I also viewed quite a number of units abt <20 for about 5 mths. A lot of pple will think it's not tt many as compared to people who viewed 10 units per week! Ya, I agree. It's bcos of my busy wk schedule so it's consider a lot alrdy. Got an agent keep pestering me to go & see a few units which the owners are asking for ridiculous COV abt 50K on top of the alrdy high valuation. But I still went to see see look look lor. No harm wat. Ever view a unit which I like v much bcos it's got a big recess area and the valuation is quite low, and COV also quite reasonable but in the end got snatch by another buyer due to hesitation. Really regret about it. But soon I get over it lor. No point keep thinking abt it. Like some people says "What's meant to be yours, will be yours." Den went to see another unit with recess area but din really like the rooms cos it's kinda warm (night viewing) and view was kinda block. But still make an offer due to the fact I like the recess area. In the end, the owner got greedy. Wanted more. Initially, he says 30k neg. but in the end he wants 40k. Out of the qn! Din bother to make another offer anymore. Heard from my agent that when a PR offer 40k which he wanted, he still reject the offer and wants >40k! Hopelessly greedy! Think he got the recess area v dai sai ah?

Eventually, saw an ad of an unit which meets my mum's & my demand (reasonable COV & valuation, near MRT, corner unit, high floor and unblock). Call to make an appt for viewing. Perhaps it's fate cos I never bring cheque book along when I went for viewing but I dunno y I brought it when I went to view this unit. Well, the unit was v the original & it's not those type will squarish layout. Actually, at tt time din consider so much. I juz told myself tt if I dun book it, it'll b v difficult to find another unit which meets our demand. Those who went viewing will know tt those units which are high floor or near MRT even not tt near alrdy asking for v high COV. Den at tt time, got another couple also v interested in tt unit. They were there before I reach & after I left, they still not leaving. Had a short discussion with my mum den decide to pay the deposit but agent says no gurantee yet cos if the other couple offer more than us den he will 've to return us the cheque. In the end, the couple juz says they will offer 2k more than wat we've offered and bcos they didn't bring cheque & can only decide the next day. So owner says if we offer another 1k more than our initial offer, he will close the deal. So, we seal the deal since he's asking for another 1k more only. Honestly, if he's like the other greedy owner, I wld not 've bought this unit. So, I think luck plays a big part in hse hunting lor. Initially, I was v enthusiatic & serious in hse hunting. But after viewing a few units which is either asking for high COV or poor location, my enthusiasm starts to die down. After tt, I go for hse viewing with a see see look look attitude. My advice is always bring a cheque book when you go for hse viewing. U nvr knows if u happen to likes tt unit v much or it meets ur demand. Of cos, it doesn't guarantee anything. Cos if the owner is greedy, den oso no use.

I think should always talk to neighbors cos they will be your neighbors too if u buy that flat. Good neighbors also give you less headache.

This is a good point.

For my flat, even though I oredi paid the 1K deposit at that time, before I paid the other 4K, I actually went to check out the neighbours on the same floor, upstairs and downstairs, just to get a feel of the people I will be living with (and to check for potential ah-longs). :notti:

As a friend said, 1K is a small loss compared to if you suddenly find out something bad later on. Thankfully, everything checked out fine ...

I looked at like 15 or so in the span of 3-4 mths and got so tired before stumbling across this one. So for those who are still looking for The One, keep looking and don't give up ! :good:

This is a good point.

For my flat, even though I oredi paid the 1K deposit at that time, before I paid the other 4K, I actually went to check out the neighbours on the same floor, upstairs and downstairs, just to get a feel of the people I will be living with (and to check for potential ah-longs). :notti:

As a friend said, 1K is a small loss compared to if you suddenly find out something bad later on. Thankfully, everything checked out fine ...

I looked at like 15 or so in the span of 3-4 mths and got so tired before stumbling across this one. So for those who are still looking for The One, keep looking and don't give up ! :good:

I didn't check with neighbours.. only see who are the neighbours. After paying 5K only think maybe should have checked whether ah-long visited the hse before or not :bangwall:

Oh well! Just hope nothing bad happens :notti:

Viewed about 10 units of EM in a mth, mainly in Bishan. HG n Woodlands area.

Too many things to consider..... COV, location, unblock,floor level, neighbors, layout, afternoon sun..... Before committing to this one.

finally can reply to TS's qn - viewed about 20 (actually lost count) from west to north west then east then central..got a unit finally in Bishan..waiting for first appointment ..pretty excited :sport-smiley-004:

Viewed almost 30 EMs before we finally got one. From East to West and back.

Almost closed 2 earlier units. For the first one in Yew Tee, the owner tried to get loan for their next unit but failed, so could not sell to us. For the 2nd one in Bkt Gombak, we offered very close to the owner's initial price, but they were undecided and suddenly decided to set a new target of $100k COV. We walked away.

We were losing hope. EMs were in the news and sellers were setting sky high targets. Then we found this place, between Serangoon and Kovan. One of my preferred locations. Made an offer on the same day. Had to bumped up our offer another $17k before we closed 2 days later.

Lessons Learnt Along the way :

1) Don't buy something out of desperation, but do not set unrealistic targets either.

2) Do not give up on finding something within your means, but when you find it, be decisive and act fast.

3) You stand a higher chance of getting a unit if you engage the buying agent 'recommended' by the seller agent.

If you view it too many times, will it reduce your bargaining power? Also, if my agent (they work in pairs) also happens to be the seller's agent knows that i'm keen, is it more likely they will jack up the price?

If you view it too many times, will it reduce your bargaining power? Also, if my agent (they work in pairs) also happens to be the seller's agent knows that i'm keen, is it more likely they will jack up the price?

I think viewing more than twice will mark you as a very keen buyer and the agent might take advantage to get you to offer closer to the seller's expected price. But you can counter that by telling the agent that you are deciding between two units and need to make a decision fast. Be prepared to walk away if the seller's price is unreasonable.

An agent's (for buyer or seller) main concern is too close the sale fast so that they can earn their commision with the least effort. May not be true for all but that is what I think applies for most. So the agent pair will work on the seller and buyer as hard as possible to quickly strike a deal.

Always ask the buying agent how can he/she help you if you are willing to engage his services.

Viewed more than 150 units in the last 3 months in Seng Kang

Yes, 150 units, 30 units I viewed every weekend

100 series river vale, 200 series compassvale, 300 series anchor vale, but skipped 400 series fernvale

Made offers for 3 unit before I bought the flat of my choice

First one 125sq 2003 EA, gave 1k cheque w/ 25k cov in the end another couple beat me to it w 32k cov

2nd unit 122sqm 1999 5i, sellers agent told me 20k cov can close, I gave cheque, seller hesitated wanted 30k

3rd one 122sqm 5i nearby to mrt but low floor we went to see w cheque book, in and out, within half hour we called the agent, got the OTP signed at 28k COV

Now waiting for 1st appointment in 2 months time

Need to reno kitchen and toilets

Edited by canuck78

Viewed almost 30 EMs before we finally got one. From East to West and back.

Almost closed 2 earlier units. For the first one in Yew Tee, the owner tried to get loan for their next unit but failed, so could not sell to us. For the 2nd one in Bkt Gombak, we offered very close to the owner's initial price, but they were undecided and suddenly decided to set a new target of $100k COV. We walked away.

We were losing hope. EMs were in the news and sellers were setting sky high targets. Then we found this place, between Serangoon and Kovan. One of my preferred locations. Made an offer on the same day. Had to bumped up our offer another $17k before we closed 2 days later.

Lessons Learnt Along the way :

1) Don't buy something out of desperation, but do not set unrealistic targets either.

2) Do not give up on finding something within your means, but when you find it, be decisive and act fast.

3) You stand a higher chance of getting a unit if you engage the buying agent 'recommended' by the seller agent.

Wooh....view 30EMs? I think it must be a record. Didn't ur agent help u filter out those EMs that meet ur specification/requirement. I will make my agent do his homework to ensure he also selects those that matches what we want. I views about 10 units before deciding on the final one..... Already very tiring.

Btw where is ur EM?

I lost count.. I think we viewed about or close to 20 EM units in less than a month..... *sweat*

A tedious process which I hope not to go thru again.. Last time bought direct from HDb also not that siong

Edited by spikedoll