Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Stinz

How Many Viewings Did You Go Before You Decided To Buy The Unit?

Initially engaged an agent whom was merely calling up to set up appointments from the flat information that i was keen to visit from propertyguru instead of him doing the job which resulted with me doing on my own after "dumping" his service and saving on the 1% agent fee.

Viewed several units after calling and arranging on my own with seller's agents and finally decided on the unit which fitted my budget and a good feel that i had on the first viewing. After much negotiation, bought the 4s unit at valuation and the agreed $1k total deposit. :sport-smiley-018: First appointment is 3rd week Jan 2014.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi there,

I also had viewed a lot of units before decide to buy a HDB flat at Hougang. I went through 3 agents and luckily they are quite patient for my demanding. What I need is minor renovation, but a lot of house that i went, needs big reno.

So i decide to take this flat with only reno the kitchen cabinet. But I just found out from my agent that we need to sign a form from HDB before we engage contractor. Did you do that before? do you know the new policy from HDB before engage a contractor?

I viewed 6 units - 3 set up by my agents which were incredibly crap! And 3 I searched via PropertyGuru and set up appointment myself.

It was truly love at first sight with the first unit I found which I viewed at night time. When the valuation came out, I went to view again but during day time to get a different perspective. The unit really felt like home already. That was when I signed the OTP - negotiated 1K COV but they asked me to up to another 1K which I agreed.

The best part about this deal, they are a direct seller and I am a direct buyer so it saves me a merry-go-round situation. I supposed I was lucky to find it at the right time.

I will be collecting my keys on Apr 24. Exciting!! My first ever house! :)

I viewed more than 30 flats over 9mths. Offered 4 times b4 but was unsuccessful. Something bounds to happen when I offered the 1k deposit. Divorce case wife agree to sell but ex hubby said no, etc etc. It was very tiring. Wanted to give up. To the extend my agent felt paiseh said mayb he suay. Asked me to find his partner. But I stick to him. Mayb its bo yuan loh.

Glad I managed to sign for a 3rm last week. unit belongs to jtc so have more paperwork to settle. Now its wait n see. HLE just expired so now has to quickly apply b4 OTP. :) next headache would be reno :(

Im new to buying a flat. Is it normal to have only 2 units viewings in a day? My friend says her agent arranged many viewings in a day last time so can maximize the use of time. Also, is it really better to get more than 1 agent to find yr flat? Just wondering if it makes a difference or agents connections is impt if I know which area I want. Thanks for sharing!

Im new to buying a flat. Is it normal to have only 2 units viewings in a day? My friend says her agent arranged many viewings in a day last time so can maximize the use of time. Also, is it really better to get more than 1 agent to find yr flat? Just wondering if it makes a difference or agents connections is impt if I know which area I want. Thanks for sharing!

2 units per day is enough, I think. I view only 8-9 units.

usually those agents who work as a big team can afford many viewing as they exchange info..if the agent work alone kind, what he do is see ad and call..

like that wait until cow come home..my view is that only sign exclusive for buying agent if he can prove that he have big network of agents to exchange info..

usually those agents who work as a big team can afford many viewing as they exchange info..if the agent work alone kind, what he do is see ad and call..

like that wait until cow come home..my view is that only sign exclusive for buying agent if he can prove that he have big network of agents to exchange info..

Actually depends also, my agent work alone, but he is good, screen through those shortlisted flats based on my requirement first like house directions, and we viewed 3 flats in 2 hours, confirmed the last viewing and managed to get our selected house at my desired price which is the most important. :)

My unit was the first I saw and I offered on the same day after my first viewing- my friends were very shocked when they knew it haha. I wouldn't say the flat was love at first sight as it was in original 70's condition (i.e. super old and run down!) but I grew up in the neighbourhood, knew the area well enough and was prepared to overhaul the entire place anyway!

I would like to share some tips and experiences to those who is doing viewing or intend to do so in the future.

1. Never ever trust your Agents, they are just trying to close deal and earn the commisions.

Most of us will have all kind of questions such as ; how far away from the MRT, is the unit north-south facing, any evening or morning sun and etc. Do you think your agent will tell you straight this unit is pretty far from MRT. You will suffer evening hot sun at this unit and blah blah blah.

2. Do your homework, check the last transacted price of your block, amenities around, bring a compass or your own hp compass to check the direction of the unit, remember to try the water pressure of the toilet by turning on the shower, any leakage from the top floor and etc, ;

http://services2.hdb.gov.sg/webapp/BB33RTIS/BB33PReslTrans.jsp

http://services2.hdb.gov.sg/web/fi10/emap.html

3. Do your own financial calculation, are you eligible for HDB grant, HLE or bank loan. Reno budget and etc.

4. Do not get your agent's lawyer,banker ,ID or contractor, they will get referral fees from them. Get your own lawyer ,banker, ID or contractor. Do a bit of survey if you're in a tight budget.

5. I would strongly to advise you to view the unit at least two times( morning and evening). Try to arrange viewing in the evening during weekday. Try to imagine if the owner have some issues with the neighbuors and they 're out during the weekend, you won't know who is your neighbour and what are the consequences you will bear once you move in.

6. Usually once you enter the unit your agent will start his/her story. They will occupy you for 10-15mins which may distract you from viewing. Would be good to ask your agents to wait outside once they finish their story, take your time to examine clearly and carefully.

7.For ex. If you intend to get an unit around S$400k, never let your agent know about your budget. Tell your agent you can only afford S$380-S$390k, remember well, your agent is not to help you but earn the agent fees.

Edited by vuzu