Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Stinz

How Many Viewings Did You Go Before You Decided To Buy The Unit?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I viewed nearly 20-30 units over a period of 4 months from April 14 till July 14 until I finally found my Unit.

Thus my experiences tells me a few thing over this period. (Pardon my lorsorness as some of the Bro/ Sis had shared those views here too.)

i) If you have an existing Unit. Sell it first. Because from the calculation you gathered from your Agent if you sell your Unit at certain pricing, you will know how much you can afford for your next Unit. Without it, you're only guessing and it's dangerous. I made a fool of myself via viewing 3-4 Jumbo flats and only to know every one of them are looking at COV of 100k minimum. I better dream on .... after I met my current agent, he carefully calculated the cost and I comfortably sit in my current budget range and thus it is easier to filter down Units which I can afford.

ii) Find a reliable Agent. I made a mistake of calling up one from the leaflets distributed to my mailbox. They are the worst. Put their face so big big and they totally threw it to one of their subordinates to do the job AFTER they told me they will do it themselves. It was a nightmare 3 weeks of advertising. No calls, no updates and best part, no advertising as well. Finally we gave up, approached one agent and we had our Unit sold within the same day we advertised. And guess what, the Agent gave me parting shot, your Unit totally cannot sell thus no phonecall. Right, explain why it is sold now?

iii) Don't be pressurized to commit to any Units you've seen. Take your time to search. The market now are full of Units. Most Units' price will drop after a period of 1-3 weeks after first advertising and subsequently months later. Units which refused to drop, you'll somehow know the owners are testing market only. They won't listen to negotiation and unless you're so rich that you can pay what they want. That's fine ... But do note if they are convinced to sell their Unit to you, be prepared they will ask for extension 'cause usually they haven't started viewing their own choice of flats.

Do your own survey. Location, age of the Flats, consider issues like will you sell it again? etc. Browse through Iproperty. propertyguru etc and observe the Units. You don't need your agent to do the job. It's easier to link up yourself. But be prepared Agents do screening too. If you haven't sold your current Unit, they might not entertain you. As I am lucky since I've sold my Flat, most Agent entertained me, but the stress of getting the Unit I wanted before my deadline of handling over my current Unit can be a killer. Still, do not rush to buy. I made a **** good deal ... I paid zero COV :P

iv) After signing OTP. If you want to speed up process, get your Valuation done and HDB/ Bank loan approved in shortest possible time. You might be able to get the deal done within that 21 days period. It can be very draggy.

v) Be very sure how much you need to loan. Usually the Banker will work out your budget based on both your spouse and your Salary, income tax, age etc. Even if you can loan much higher than you've calculated. Don't be fool into thinking it in okay. I made a mistake and sign on dotted line because the Banker said it can be changed later but just get the loan approved first. Now I wanted to change it to the loan I need. I can only do so after the first month from 2nd appointment. So in short, I have to pay an unnecessary amount for nothing. Kena scolded by wifey... hahaha .....

Now I am in the mist of waiting for my first appointment ..... the torment days of searching are over. Heng ... so good luck to those peeps still in the market.

All in all... viewed about 6 mansionettes... 2 5-Room units...

Due to tight budget, did not engage any buyer's agent for myself.. viewed listings and contacted the respective agents for viewing appts...

Agree with the rest on procedures...

It is very important, once you have plans to start looking for a unit, make sure you gather all your documents and go submit your HLE (HDB) or Bank loan first... Once you have that in hand, you have the power to call... Unless you buying full cash.. of course, then you are the king to make the call...

I encountered once.. I liked the unit, made a lowball offer... and surprise, agent hinted that seller is willing to accept because seller bought new unit, and keys were due for collection soon.. so... But then, my HLE had expired already because I used that for a BTO unit years ago.. However, due to unforseen circumstances... you know lah... things fell apart and failed... So anyway, because I didn't have my HLE on hand, the agent told me no point placing deposit because I cannot exercise option... so they didn't grant me OTP... Then I had to go submit HLE and get HDB to expedite for me... After HLE finally approved, the agent told me unit already granted OTP few days ago... =.=" Sian to the max I tell you... Heart suddenly **** heavy... no mood to do anything... Become like very desperate to get a place asap... Started arranging more viewings... but none could match the budget I had...

Well, perhaps my prayers were answered somehow... the previous buyer encountered hiccups... and then... didn't exercise... So I waited out for their option to lapse and finally managed to get the option granted.. Kudos to the seller's agent who helped a great deal also... So now, finally... waiting for 1st Appt in 1 mth time... can't wait for time to pass and get all the paperwork and transaction completed.... :thumbs up:

Well, perhaps my prayers were answered somehow... the previous buyer encountered hiccups... and then... didn't exercise... So I waited out for their option to lapse and finally managed to get the option granted.. Kudos to the seller's agent who helped a great deal also... So now, finally... waiting for 1st Appt in 1 mth time... can't wait for time to pass and get all the paperwork and transaction completed.... :thumbs up:

Seibey on the edge feeling, hahahah

Seibey on the edge feeling, hahahah

Yeah, it was like those maybe have, maybe don't and not even sure kinda feeling.. so eager yet had to suppress, scared later don't have liao then even more disappointed. .. lol

I viewed a total of 18 units before settling on my purchase. Now waiting to get valuation to so can exercise OTP.

Buying HDB is like going on a rollercoaster ride. Most of the viewings, I arranged them on my own though propertyguru, except 4 of them were arranged by a very nice agent whom I went viewing together once. Didnt choose the units which I went viewing with her cos that was in Mar 14, and then, I don't have my HLE yet. Also, no feel for the units I saw, somehow, there will be something u dont really like.

You kind of know if you like or don't like the house when you step in. For the flat which I finally offered, it was so spacious, high ceiling and clean that once you step in, you feel good. Viewed twice and we gave the owners an offer. I think that flat was barely marketed for over 1 or 2 months. Strangely, this flat wasnt something we thought we would like coz the location is not a familiar one, but it fitted all the rest of our criteria. So, the random viewing turned out to be a blessing in disguise. The flat is quite new, less than 20 yrs, nicely renovated, very clean and pleasant.

All in all... viewed about 6 mansionettes... 2 5-Room units...

Due to tight budget, did not engage any buyer's agent for myself.. viewed listings and contacted the respective agents for viewing appts...

Agree with the rest on procedures...

It is very important, once you have plans to start looking for a unit, make sure you gather all your documents and go submit your HLE (HDB) or Bank loan first... Once you have that in hand, you have the power to call... Unless you buying full cash.. of course, then you are the king to make the call...

I encountered once.. I liked the unit, made a lowball offer... and surprise, agent hinted that seller is willing to accept because seller bought new unit, and keys were due for collection soon.. so... But then, my HLE had expired already because I used that for a BTO unit years ago.. However, due to unforseen circumstances... you know lah... things fell apart and failed... So anyway, because I didn't have my HLE on hand, the agent told me no point placing deposit because I cannot exercise option... so they didn't grant me OTP... Then I had to go submit HLE and get HDB to expedite for me... After HLE finally approved, the agent told me unit already granted OTP few days ago... =.=" Sian to the max I tell you... Heart suddenly **** heavy... no mood to do anything... Become like very desperate to get a place asap... Started arranging more viewings... but none could match the budget I had...

can share where you bought and how much?