Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
madmax67

Estimated Cost For Renovating Terrace

Hi all

I've just bought a 2.5 storey split-level Inter Terrace and since it's already 20 years old, I would like to renovate the whole house and would like to ask if anyone can help me estimate if my budget of 200k is reasonable :

Living/dining

Marble flooring (total area est about 800sf)

Change powder room toilet

Change main wooden door

Change old sliding door to 4 panel glass door with wooden frame

Kitchen

Change of kitchen windows

Kitchen cabinets and hardtop (about 4m long)

Hack floor/wall tiles (est 250sf floor, 300sf wall)

Install ceramic/homogenous floor and wall tiles

Change back wall to half concrete/timber

Change shower room, extend maid's room

Entertainment room

Install patio with timber decked floor

Change windows to sliding door with locks

Change parquet to wood flooring (about 250sf)

Master room

Change parquet to wood flooring (about 500sf)

Change toilet

Walk-in wardrobes

Change 2x2panel windows

2 bedrooms

Change parquet to wood flooring (about 500sf)

Walk-in wardrobes

Study tables and shelves

Change 2x2panel windows

Change toilet on 3rd level

Change design of airwell

Car Porch

Change roof design

Change floor tiles

Koi pond

Timber decking

Car auto gate

Others

Maid's room - extend

PUB extension to external house

Change old staircase design (3 flights)

Electrical wiring

Electical points

Piping with hot water heaters

Repainting interior and exterior of house

Change roof

Change whole house airconditioning

Thank you!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

It is probably more than reasonable. For my terrace, 3rd storey built-in about 2800, I hacked away and redo everything including the tiles, cabinets, electricals and false ceilings. The only things I've kept are wardrobes and parquet (though I will resand and revarnish). I've also spent some money on termite pest control and roof maintenance (including replacing yard roof extension).

The above costs me about $100K. Hence for your case, I would say $120-$140K should suffice, unless you are going for really top notch materials.

Edited by Minerat

It is probably more than reasonable. For my terrace, 3rd storey built-in about 2800, I hacked away and redo everything including the tiles, cabinets, electricals and false ceilings. The only things I've kept are wardrobes and parquet (though I will resand and revarnish). I've also spent some money on termite pest control and roof maintenance (including replacing yard roof extension).

The above costs me about $100K. Hence for your case, I would say $120-$140K should suffice, unless you are going for really top notch materials.

100k, that is super cheap. Almost impossible in my opinon. I guess you are asking for much less work than TS. Did you change the roof? Staircase? Only change ground floor tiles. No woodwork in bedrooms since you are keeping wardrobes. Toilets? Each toilet probably cost close to 10k if I remember correctly especially if you use good fittings. your reno is probably a mix and match reno as you are keeping quite a few old stuff.

I did something similar to the TS which is basically change EVERYTHING. I think the TS is asking for more than what I did as I did not change autogate...

my built up is 2500sqft.

MAjor items done

Wetorks

1) redo all flooring, marble for living, ground floor bedroom, tiles for kitchen, backyard, car porch. Timber strip flooring for higher floors. Redo staircase (Expensive).

2) change roof tiles

3) redo all toilets, homo tiles and waterproofing, new fittings.

4) extend backyard roof. Wall tiling for backyard

5) change all windows, foyer doors. Glass doors for TV room, master toilet.

Cost, $150k

Carpentry, electrical

1) Eletrica1 with new aircon for all rooms.

2) wardrobes, feature walls.

3) new doors

4) painting interior and exterior

Cost $100k

Furniture

1) Furniture,

2) bathroom fittings

3) lightings

4) appliances

Cost $50k

Total is $300k.

Thank you all for your responses!

I also think 100k is very cheap :)

So I guess 200k thereabouts should be somehow realistic, just need to stretch a little bit more. I intend to also put aside another 30k for furnishing, appliances and lightings, and also considering installing solar for another 25k.

Hi Wind30, when did you do your renovation? Is your contractor/ID good?

cheers

100k, that is super cheap. Almost impossible in my opinon. I guess you are asking for much less work than TS. Did you change the roof? Staircase? Only change ground floor tiles. No woodwork in bedrooms since you are keeping wardrobes. Toilets? Each toilet probably cost close to 10k if I remember correctly especially if you use good fittings. your reno is probably a mix and match reno as you are keeping quite a few old stuff.

I did something similar to the TS which is basically change EVERYTHING. I think the TS is asking for more than what I did as I did not change autogate...

my built up is 2500sqft.

MAjor items done

Wetorks

1) redo all flooring, marble for living, ground floor bedroom, tiles for kitchen, backyard, car porch. Timber strip flooring for higher floors. Redo staircase (Expensive).

2) change roof tiles

Cost, $150k

Carpentry, electrical

3) new doors

Cost $100k

Furniture

1) Furniture,

2) bathroom fittings

3) lightings

4) appliances

Cost $50k

Total is $300k.

Hi Minerat,

When did you do your house? The quote u got look irressitably attractive. :)

Reno is ongoing. Not sure if quote is cheap but it includes some top notch materials like marble for all toilet vanity tops, caesarstone for kitchen countertops. But I did reuse some stuff like aircons and I didn't do anything to front porch area.

Hi Minerat

Do you mind pm me your quotation so that I can do some comparison ?

Thank you!!

Reno is ongoing. Not sure if quote is cheap but it includes some top notch materials like marble for all toilet vanity tops, caesarstone for kitchen countertops. But I did reuse some stuff like aircons and I didn't do anything to front porch area.

my built up is 2500sqft.

MAjor items done

Wetorks

2) change roof tiles

Cost, $150k

Carpentry, electrical

3) new doors

Cost $100k

Furniture

1) Furniture,

2) bathroom fittings

3) lightings

4) appliances

Cost $50k

Total is $300k.

May I know how much it cost you on your electrical plus new aircons? Do you rewire the whole house? One of the quote I got , for aircons alone nearly 26k (6bedrooms with total built up around 3700 in future) the reason being told is exposed trunking in hdb are easier to do and hence cheaper.. But I still think i am being "chopped"

May I know how much it cost you on your electrical plus new aircons? Do you rewire the whole house? One of the quote I got , for aircons alone nearly 26k (6bedrooms with total built up around 3700 in future) the reason being told is exposed trunking in hdb are easier to do and hence cheaper.. But I still think i am being "chopped"

That's like 8 aircons? Sounds high if you ask me. I was given a quotation of about $4.5k for a daikin system3 (other brands should be cheaper) including concealed pipings. To extrapolate, it shoud not be more than $15k for 8 aircons i supposed. You might want to check out gaincity. You can pay $1k deposit and they will send someone down to access installation cost. If you don't want to proceed after that, they will return you the $1k.

I got quoted about 10K for aircons my place - 6 Daikin aircons for a built up of about 2500 sq ft. I think some of the aircons are underpowered (i.e BTU seems a little low) though, so asking the aircon man to do a site survey this weekend to make sure that the aircons are cold enough for the space.

For a terrace house and if space permits to mount more compressors, you should give some serious thoughts to the aircon configurations. That could save you big time $$$. I like what my previous owner did

Level 1: Both living and dining room are single non-inverter units. These 2 aircons we will hardly on them, hence having non-inverters are cheaper.

Level 2: System 3 inverters for 3 bedrooms. Obviously they are more utilized.

Level 3. Single split non-inverter for wardrobe room as that is hardly used. Another single unit for the MBR, which I changed to a system2 to accommodate the new study room.

Thanks minerat and pinkflower for the quote :)) though the contractor told me his quote will be the upper bound as he don't like to give us surprises (VO) in future.

But it's really good I don't need to pay that much.

Minerat, thanks for advising the use of inverter and non-inverter which is very applicable in my case :D

200k seems reasonable, but also depends on quality of materials selected. Is there a need to change the timber floorings ? Can save some cost by re-polish or varnish.

Like some forumers suggested, installing non-inverters to liv/din or AC that are seldom used can save you some costs. I did that too. However do note that the refrigerant (or gas) used for non-inverters are slowly being phased out as is it more detrimental to the environment ; so may pose a problem in the future should you need to top up the "gas" .

Thanks all for the replies.

I talked to an architect and he told me before adding an additional level, the cost will be around 400-500k for a total move-in condition!! :jawdrop:

Guess he's out to ketok but also told us we can reduce whatever we don't need (eg certain carpentry...etc). We will have to seek other firm's quotation and make comparison.

Just came across your t-blog, all the best to your reno. i think it will be good for you to really look around before committing. Some Architect are very expensive. may want to consider having an additional level done by a qualifed architect and the other reno done by a contractor. in that way you may have some savings. check with other forerummers who have done A and A. perhaps you might strike some "gold" along the way. All the best :yamseng: