Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
madmax67

Estimated Cost For Renovating Terrace

Hi all

I just got an initial quotation from the builder to do some extension works (back extension plus add roof terrace) plus full renovation including shifting walls/staircase The first part of the preliminary works already cost over $50k

This includes contractor insurance, demolition works, evacuation works (including supply labour & machinery), protection works around neigbbours, termination of existing service, processional fee for engineer including submission to BCA and site management.

Including the above, the whole renovation cost me $650k not including kitchen cabinets or wardrobes, nor vanity tops :jawdrop:

That works out to be 280psf for A&A works.

I thought it's overpriced....any comments/feedback is much appreciated!!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Short of seeing the drawings and fully understand the detail scope and area of works, my first impression : For renovation or A&A costing $650k, is expensive. My friend tore down old Hse and rebuilt, also spend $650k

Edited by jumbopanther

Did u ask around for more quotes? Good to do some comparison and u will be surprised by the vast quote differences from different companies.

Hi all

Sorry I should have been more specific. My current land is 1700sf and it's a split level 3-storey house with 3 bedrooms (ie one floor one bedroom). The changes are :

Extending the back wall (from 2nd storey to 3rd storey)

Creating a roof terrace with a family room, which include staircase.

Changing car porch roof - currently pitched roof, going to change to glass canopy with wooden beams.

These include extra footings (beams and columns) - 2 in front, and 1 at the back

Renovation include :

- Creating a void area inside the house, to bring more light

- Shifting the staircase from left to right for all levels

- parquet for all 3 bedrooms + new family room ($30k including laying for teak strips at random lengths * 9" width)

- creating new bathroom in each bedroom as the position for all bathrooms have been changed.

- change of carporch tiles

- marble flooring for living/dining

- floor tiles for kitchen

- new staircase for entire house

- changing all 2-panel baywindows in bedrooms to full glass windows (or at least 1.8m height, 4 panels per room)

- changing all doors, including main door

- changing current glass door panel in living room to something more current

- creating wet and dry kitchen with glass sliding door at wet kitchen but no carpentry

- shifting toilet and maid's room to one side of the house

- timber decking for front and back porch

- roof tiles

- aircons

- electrical works (including 100 lighting points @ 75 each)

- aircondiitioning

- painting

- changing of electrical main gate

Out of 650k, 50k is already for the insurance, submissions, hacking. The remaining 600k is for the above renovation. Pricing include rewiring, hacking, repiping but does not include kitchen cabinets or wardrobes.

It will change current built-in space of 2500 to approx 3000sf.

Is the price justifiable?

I'm also in the midst of getting quotation from another builder...still work-in-progress but if the above is justifable, then I will have to reconsider my plans - possibly remove the need for the roof terrace and not shifting the staircase due to limited budget. :(

Thank you!!!!

Edited by madmax67

Not a guru myself but I have to admit that items that invovles the structural changes will be costly. Seriously u might want to reconsider not shifting the stairs, might help u save a little. The golden rule is always get at least 3 quotes to compare. I think I did more sutff than u but my damages was around $450k, inculding carpentry and fittings.

The A&A works are in progress now. I did a roof terrace also with expected area gain of 1200sqf. I have also extend some part of living hall (which structural works needed) with a level 2 bedroom balcony.

I envy you guys, your contractors are on task.

The ones I showed my place to 2 weeks ago are still dragging their feet.

Even my preferred IDs stopped communicating.

Just my luck.

Honestly I really like the guy I am working with, as he has alot of very creative ideas, and he has been very responsive ... but I find his quote abit too high :(

Hi vee,

U mean have u signed up with them or not yet? Yes, I agree that during the initial quotation stage is terrible! I shown at least 10 or more builders my place and only got about 3 or 4 quotes in return. Think they all prefer to do reconstruction rather than a&a jobs.

Hi madmax67,

Tried to pm u but unsuccessful. When u planning to do yr a&a? I need to check with my builder first if his schedule does permits him to take up another job. So far I am quite happy working with him, as he is quite on the ball ( keeping my fingers crossed) :) and very knowledgable.

Hi rolex

Have just pm you. I'm getting keys in late December and hope to start in January (I know there will be a lapse during CNY), hope to move in by July. Timeline to finish is important as I"m renting a temporary place during renovation.

Thank you!