Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
keepsimple

Kitchen Sink Undercoating Strong Smell

Hi All,

I would like to check if anyone experience unbearable strong smell (something like chemical smells) from the undercoating (greyish color) of your kitchen sink?

I check on internet that this undercoating is to absorbs sound, protects against condensation and helps maintain sink water temperature.

However, this undercoating emits this strong smell makes me & my wife uncomfortable. Especially when open the cabinet below the sinks.

If you do have this type of sink, do you have this kind of problem?

If yes, how do you remove the smell?

My sink brand is Monic (dunno with model), with 70:30 split

By the way, the smell is not mouldy smells.

Thanks

Edited by keepsimple

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Could it be the smell of silicon ? Try leaving the cabinet door open for 24-48hrs to air dry the interior...

Edited by Speed45

Could it be the smell of silicon ? Try leaving the cabinet door open for 24-48hrs to air dry the interior...

Hi thanks for the reply,

the smell is not silicon... the smell is emit from the base of the kitchen sink..

The undercoating of kitchen sink is

a) To hide the welding scars of handmade sinks

b) To reduce noise

But please note that sink's undercoating does NOT prevent condensation at all. All brands of kitchen sink will have condensation when frozen food are placed inside the bowl to defrost - within 5 minutes. This is same as condensation found on cold drinks taken out of our fridge, you will find your table wet with water within 5 minutes.

As to your complaint of strong smell of the undercoating, simply paint a layer of paint (ICI or Nippon brand) over the undercoat and the smell will be covered and gone. This is a normal paint is available at all paint shop below $10 per can.