Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
originalbread

Originalbread's Humble Abode

67785_10151177647398285_837737638_n.jpg

wonder if my old chair could look like the one on the right after restoration. new chair pic is from Francfranc.

another piece to be restored.

559248_10150999355303285_2137040479_n.jpg

My vision is to get it spray painted in cream color. minus the shabby chic.

EPF-Vanity%252CSpan+010.jpg

Any one know reasonably priced restoration carpenters? I contacted a few, but really don't know how good they are, though the price could vary quite a bit.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

sigh, discover another area leaking, and this time, its very obvious leaking.

first pic on the top left was the spot I have been observing for some time. the rest of the pics are the same spot, just beside the light, and discovered only today.

483585_10151177785778285_800773492_n.jpg

:furious:

It just make me feel that this is a crumbling house, no matter what I do, old house is old house.

is upstairs leaking? Can ask HDB to check?

Dun feel despondent! Look forward to the end of all these!

sigh, discover another area leaking, and this time, its very obvious leaking.

first pic on the top left was the spot I have been observing for some time. the rest of the pics are the same spot, just beside the light, and discovered only today.

483585_10151177785778285_800773492_n.jpg

:furious:

It just make me feel that this is a crumbling house, no matter what I do, old house is old house.

Exactly, could either ask HDB to check, or ask the neighbors one floor up directly. Might not be your unit's fault.

My flat almost 32 years liao, still gg strong with no leakages...

Exactly, could either ask HDB to check, or ask the neighbors one floor up directly. Might not be your unit's fault.

My flat almost 32 years liao, still gg strong with no leakages...

That's right, originalbread... Get it check ASAP. This kind of problem cant close one eye...

Thanks Kenjo, Rhin and Sygnur. I went up to the neighbour one floor above upon seeing the water leakage on Sunday. Couldn't see anything abnormal, and don't look like they splash wash the floor.

Actually I already notified HDB last week and the officer came down today. Guess what, I discover another spot leaking even before the officer step in. :jawdrop: the bathroom pipe area show water marks. :furious:

The officer said the bathroom pipe under Town Council, so he need to notify them. The most serious leaking area beside the light was puzzling to him, he need to see the unit upstair, but the aunty happened to be not at home when we went up. As for the portion above the stove, because its boxed up, he can't see if anything wrong with the pipe. :( he say shouldn't box up like this. When I told my contractor, he say he did mention upfront the complication of calcium silicate box up if leakage. But I really didn't recall him saying this. But anyway, he say he will remove the box up so that the hdb officer can see what is wrong. Sigh... I just feel I'm the most unfortunate house owner.

Thanks Kenjo, Rhin and Sygnur. I went up to the neighbour one floor above upon seeing the water leakage on Sunday. Couldn't see anything abnormal, and don't look like they splash wash the floor.

Actually I already notified HDB last week and the officer came down today. Guess what, I discover another spot leaking even before the officer step in. :jawdrop: the bathroom pipe area show water marks. :furious:

The officer said the bathroom pipe under Town Council, so he need to notify them. The most serious leaking area beside the light was puzzling to him, he need to see the unit upstair, but the aunty happened to be not at home when we went up. As for the portion above the stove, because its boxed up, he can't see if anything wrong with the pipe. :( he say shouldn't box up like this. When I told my contractor, he say he did mention upfront the complication of calcium silicate box up if leakage. But I really didn't recall him saying this. But anyway, he say he will remove the box up so that the hdb officer can see what is wrong. Sigh... I just feel I'm the most unfortunate house owner.

=( dun give up hope! hopefully everything will clear up soon - leaks are always not good to deal with.. i understand how it can spoil ur day - my mum's place also had leakage in my wardrobe - clothes got wet =( got to really figure out whats going on n get ur guy to fix it before u move in!

=( dun give up hope! hopefully everything will clear up soon - leaks are always not good to deal with.. i understand how it can spoil ur day - my mum's place also had leakage in my wardrobe - clothes got wet =( got to really figure out whats going on n get ur guy to fix it before u move in!

Thanks Princess. Still waiting for HDB to catch hold of the owner upstair.

Oh dear, to have a leakage on wardrobe sounds horrid. In the end did you find out the cause? I thought leakages usually occur in kitchen and toilets...

68176_10151191684263285_1740503865_n.jpg

Finally, the floor has been washed and major work done (except for leaking and door issue). So I hung up the curtains. Gasp, there is a gap such that the curtains do not cover the window grills.

Here's a close up:

37072_10151189439918285_1847381031_n.jpg

contractor said the drill can't fix the bracket all the way to the end. and for such system to work, windows can't end at the edge of the walls, else there would certainly be a gap. :(

:help: anyone could advise how to avoid the gap without changing the rod?

Some updates.

3866_10151193175758285_196359451_n.jpg

finally got Air Division to deliver my sofa, which I ordered since July. Called them quite last minute to bring forward the date as some guests were coming, they were really nice to squeeze in a slot for me.

563579_10151194422243285_1425910015_n.jpg

my temp dining table. not sure why I got myself this table many years ago as a writing table. But its cheap, just $59. Only that the wood is in raw state. Have been covering it up in plastic sheet (so ugly), until recently I strip out the cover and oil it. Need to do some sanding and oiling job to protect the surface. (That's why it was sold so cheaply.)

Am still thinking if I should just use this as dining and get another writing table, or get a smaller dining to fit the limited space, and move this to the study to continue its original role as a writing table...

537498_10151197799028285_663448005_n.jpg

the dresser has finally been restored. got a carpenter who do restoration work down to my home to do it. I think this color fits more with my room, though originally, the surface wasn't in bad condition that really needs restoration.

Some updates.

3866_10151193175758285_196359451_n.jpg

finally got Air Division to deliver my sofa, which I ordered since July. Called them quite last minute to bring forward the date as some guests were coming, they were really nice to squeeze in a slot for me.

563579_10151194422243285_1425910015_n.jpg

my temp dining table. not sure why I got myself this table many years ago as a writing table. But its cheap, just $59. Only that the wood is in raw state. Have been covering it up in plastic sheet (so ugly), until recently I strip out the cover and oil it. Need to do some sanding and oiling job to protect the surface. (That's why it was sold so cheaply.)

Am still thinking if I should just use this as dining and get another writing table, or get a smaller dining to fit the limited space, and move this to the study to continue its original role as a writing table...

the dresser has finally been restored. got a carpenter who do restoration work down to my home to do it. I think this color fits more with my room, though originally, the surface wasn't in bad condition that really needs restoration.

Hi originalbread,

Restoration nicely done! U mentioned ur layout like mine too ya? Urs also corner unit?

Have you solve the leaking prob? When you bot the house did you look at the water mark? My house already 38 yrs old too..

Read thru ur blog, indeed loads of issues need to be settle.. Don be dishearted ya, when I done my Reno due to my busy schedule I have no time to monitor, when I have time to look at it, a lot of things are not exactly what I want.. But too late to rectify so no choice but to accept and try to make the best out of it.. So far so good! Enjoy and love staying this place so much now. Wish you solve ur prob soon ya.

68176_10151191684263285_1740503865_n.jpg

Finally, the floor has been washed and major work done (except for leaking and door issue). So I hung up the curtains. Gasp, there is a gap such that the curtains do not cover the window grills.

Here's a close up:

37072_10151189439918285_1847381031_n.jpg

contractor said the drill can't fix the bracket all the way to the end. and for such system to work, windows can't end at the edge of the walls, else there would certainly be a gap. :(

:help: anyone could advise how to avoid the gap without changing the rod?

i am using ikea rod too.. i get the handy man to do it as close as possible, still abit of gap but i solved the problem with a flat stopper instead of those you bought.. ur stopper took up alot of space at the end.

And i put the curtain last hook over at the end of rod hook, so no more gap le..

mabe you can change the stopper to the flat one? it cost 2.50 a pair in ikea.. show you some pics, hope you understand what i meant. and i believe ur rod still can adjust abit wee more closer to the end, you still have quite abit of space left!

IMG_0022_zpsa91ed9dc.jpg

IMG_0018_zps927b0955.jpg

Edited by mafiawife

i am using ikea rod too.. i get the handy man to do it as close as possible, still abit of gap but i solved the problem with a flat stopper instead of those you bought.. ur stopper took up alot of space at the end.

And i put the curtain last hook over at the end of rod hook, so no more gap le..

mabe you can change the stopper to the flat one? it cost 2.50 a pair in ikea.. show you some pics, hope you understand what i meant. and i believe ur rod still can adjust abit wee more closer to the end, you still have quite abit of space left!

IMG_0022_zpsa91ed9dc.jpg

IMG_0018_zps927b0955.jpg

thanks Mafiawife. yup i need to change the stopper to a flat one. Did you put the curtain through the rod? I decided i should use the ring and hook thing instead, the one that have clip on the curtains. then i can put the ring and hook beyond the bracket.

Hi originalbread,

Restoration nicely done! U mentioned ur layout like mine too ya? Urs also corner unit?

Have you solve the leaking prob? When you bot the house did you look at the water mark? My house already 38 yrs old too..

Read thru ur blog, indeed loads of issues need to be settle.. Don be dishearted ya, when I done my Reno due to my busy schedule I have no time to monitor, when I have time to look at it, a lot of things are not exactly what I want.. But too late to rectify so no choice but to accept and try to make the best out of it.. So far so good! Enjoy and love staying this place so much now. Wish you solve ur prob soon ya.

Hi Mafiawife

yes, mine is a corner unit. actually i guess once you live in it and busy with all the chores, you tend to accept things as they are. Glad to hear you are enjoying your stay. For me, I still haven't get over unpacking as perpetually caught up with other stuff. So tiring...

there was no water mark when i bought the place. it actually appeared only when the reno almost complete. happened that the upstair neighbour's kitchen sink was leaking just one month before my reno complete. but at least, now it seems dry, after they repaired their sink.

hope to post more photos soon. :)

cheers

originalbread

Hi, could you PM me the contact for your carpenter? He did a really nice job on your dresser! :thumbs up: