Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
yunyunhere

Kitchen Wall Tiles - Spray Coating, Epoxy Paint, Cement Screed?

How i wish my pocket is deep enough, i think i have to cut cost on the tiling jobs for my kitchen wall. Most ppl (include my hubby) have suggested to cement screed and paint over the existing kitchen wall tiles, which could give a new wall look and feel. I am quite skeptical about doing this in the kitchen, what about the maintenance on these oil stains??!!

Again, RT is a good place to learn new things, few more options that catch my eyes:

a. spray coating

b. epoxy paint

They are said to be cheap and good, give a new look to the old ceramic tiles.

Anybody can enlighten me if i should use cement screed+paint, or option a or b for my kitchen wall? btw, the wall is just about 10yrs old, so the condition is still solid.

Thanks in advance!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

You can definitely cement screed over the tiles. That in itself will give your kitchen a new look.

However, you will definitely need a counter backsplash, especially at the hob/hood area.

Mosaic glazed tiles are a nice way to construct a backsplash, and easy to clean too. But of course, it will be added cost. Alternative, you can do what this couple did and only have a backsplash at the hob where the likelihood of oil splatter (hardest to clean) is highest:

05.jpg

See their renoblog here: https://iwantahomenotashowroom.files.wordpress.com/

thanks ultimax! i think i will be doing cement screed for the wall opposite the hob/hood only, sink area will still be using tiles, but since it's a small L shape area, so it won't cost too much, then for the cooking area, will cover it by these trendy sleek glass panel :) in this way, i still managed to save quite a lot! cheers!

thanks ultimax! i think i will be doing cement screed for the wall opposite the hob/hood only, sink area will still be using tiles, but since it's a small L shape area, so it won't cost too much, then for the cooking area, will cover it by these trendy sleek glass panel :) in this way, i still managed to save quite a lot! cheers!

Cement screen for wall oso need some hacking work..... oso need to pay some xD