Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Volfritaz

New Home

Hi everyone, as we would be getting our keys shortly (in one weeks time), we would need to renovate the place.

After about 2 months of searching, we have gotten about 20 plus quotes not inclusive of revised quotes.

Below is the number of IDs/Contractors that we talked to. As we are on a budget, we would like to have some feedbacks on them to factor in the pros and cons such that we do not waste our money on them.

1. Ideal House

2. Weiken

3. Darwin

4. ***

5. Defong

6. Unimax

7. Inside Living

8. Chng Poh Guan

9. Tay Heng Long

10. Randy Construction

11. Home Success

12. The Ruler Group

13. Au Asia

14. -

15. One Design Werkz

Please help us take a look and comment on the abovementioned IDs and contractors such that we may make a better informed decision.

Cheers everyone.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi everyone, as we would be getting our keys shortly (in one weeks time), we would need to renovate the place.

After about 2 months of searching, we have gotten about 20 plus quotes not inclusive of revised quotes.

Below is the number of IDs/Contractors that we talked to. As we are on a budget, we would like to have some feedbacks on them to factor in the pros and cons such that we do not waste our money on them.

1. Ideal House

2. Weiken

3. Darwin

4. ***

5. Defong

6. Unimax

7. Inside Living

8. Chng Poh Guan

9. Tay Heng Long

10. Randy Construction

11. Home Success

12. The Ruler Group

13. Au Asia

14. -

15. One Design Werkz

Please help us take a look and comment on the abovementioned IDs and contractors such that we may make a better informed decision.

Cheers everyone.

Wah so many quotes for u to look at. Wouldn't that be confusing esp when they r proposing different things. I m sure u have a certain budget n Reno specs.

If I were u , I will award the ID who can meet my budget n Reno requirement.

Edited by potatoes

Wah! That's a lot of quotes! I'm beginning mine too!! But already quite exhausted after meeting 2.. Anyway, I guess what's impt is the ID being able to meet your budget and theme and of cos u can talk to the ID.. Cos it's impt to feel comfortable with ur iD :))

By the way, there's a Home and Furnishing Event at Expo now.

Cheers and good luck! Do keep us posted!

1. Ideal House

2. Weiken

3. Darwin

4. ***

5. Defong

6. Unimax

7. Inside Living

8. Chng Poh Guan

9. Tay Heng Long

10. Randy Construction

11. Home Success

12. The Ruler Group

13. Au Asia

14. -

15. One Design Werkz

Cheers everyone.

Hi Stinz and Potatoes,

yes we do have a budget and it was truly tiring in the begining however as we move on from one ID to the next the following unraveled,

1) Industry quotation item for item vary way too much.

i.e. per foot run of kitchen cabinet varies from S$90 to S$170, Tiling per square foot (S$3.00 tiles) vary from S$6.50 to S9.50

I can understand some mark up certain items more and charge certain items less BUT there were some who seem to charge every freaking thing at rediculous prices.

I gave each and every ID/contractor the same floor plan and design to follow. The quotations i revieved after equating all the quotation ranged from S31k to $120k. ( I shall not name names)

In summation of point 1. This industry is full of crap. Many IDs are so full of the stuff that they honestly can't smell how bad they sound when they tell us "S$120k its around there la..."

2) Preview of current project and showflats reveal workmanship that vary way too much.

3) Really expensive workmanship does not equate to Really Good Workmaship.

i.e. S47k quotation with plenty of advert had sooo many rediculous flaws in the workmanship and all these in the showroom. Visits to current projects done by the IDs showed cracked laminates, uneven tiling etc.

I understand certain workmanship flaws are inevitable however when I point out the flaws (e.g. cracked laminate, you should not reply "Later surface top will cover the cracks."

Hello! Cracks will propagate.

4) ID does not necesarily stand for interior designer.

i.e. Me:"If you do this the side of the fridge would be visible.(we have an open concept kitchen)"

ID: "Then you buy a nicer frige loh""

Me:"This area is very open if we were to place the dining table here"

ID:"Then you build a feature wall to cover up."

In summation spend more it will look nicer. These numbskulls will never suggest a different area to place the dining table so that it would look nicer.

5) Contractor does not mean cheaper.

Some quotes came up to 10k more than ID's.

In any case, I would post the shorter list of IDs and reasons as to why we are leaning towards them.

Thanks so much all.

First of all, welcome to RT. congrats in getting your keys soon.

You are right, some ID really 'duh' and some contractors gave ridiculous pricing. I hope you will find a suitable one for yourself.

Hi,

I went thru this selection process one month ago like the other members and know what you are going thru. Just my piece, Darwin was the first I approach, the Guy did not come back with a quote after asking me for my floor plan. That was since late june. Since then I have moved on and found a contractor I am comfortable with. Wish you all the best in your search. If in doubt or feeling not right with the id, move on to the next on. :yamseng:

Hi May and Suyun,

Thanks for the reply. As promised, please see the following for the IDs we shortlisted and why we did or didn't.

1. Ideal House - Shortlisted.

a)Good Forum reviews.

b)Competitive pricing.

c)Provided some ID like ideas.

2. Weiken - Shortlisted.

a)Competitive pricing.

b)Provided the most ID like ideas.

c)Technical and good Hand Drawn 3Ds to illustrate.

d)Economical ideas that transformed an ordinary space to something looking alot more expensive.

3. Darwin - passed.

a) Not really good with any idea.

4. A.d.d. Space - passed.

a) Expensive

b) not much idea.

5. Defong- shortlisted.

a) Competitive Pricing.

b) Practical approaches.

c) Fast in quotes and revised quotes.

6. Unimax- passed

a) 0 ideas.

b) Pushy.

c) Expensive.

7. Inside Living - Shortlisted

a)Recommended by friend.

b) Creative.

c) Accomodating.

d)Experienced.

8. Chng Poh Guan

9. Tay Heng Long

10. Randy Construction-Passed for above 8,9 and 10.

a) Expensive.

11. Home Success-Passed

a)Pushy

b)Expensive.

12. The Ruler Group-Passed

a)Expensive.

13. Au Asia

a)Expensive.

14. Clas.sic idea

a) Expensive.

15. One Design Werkz-Shortlisted.

a) Not Cheap but materials shown were all really quality.

b) Workmaship was high.

c) ID ideas were there and thereabouts.

In summation, we shortlisted

i)Ideal House

ii)Weiken

iii)Defong

iv)Inside Living

v)One Design Werkz.

We did not strike off some IDs which were more expensive as we can give up some items to do as primarily we believe sometimes quality > quantity.

I would not be posting any pictures of the house or floor plan as yet due to the fact that we have not select an ID. ( Some IDs do hang out in this website.)

P.S. there were 3 other IDs that I did not mentioned as they were way above and beyond the budget I gave them.

a) Retz and Relaz

b) Cissern

C) Chew Interior

I can understand RandR as they give lifetime the other 2 not so sure why so god **** ex.

Welcome and good luck for a smooth reno.

I too visited near to 20 Ids. :rolleyes: .

Do you think it's more helpful if you disclose the name of ID representing the company/firm.

fairer at least for those who are helping or wanna give comments or share experience with a certain Id.

.. :yamseng:

Hi May and Suyun,

Thanks for the reply. As promised, please see the following for the IDs we shortlisted and why we did or didn't.

a)Good Forum reviews.

b)Competitive pricing.

2. Weiken - Shortlisted.

a)Competitive pricing.

d)Economical ideas that transformed an ordinary space to something looking alot more expensive.

3. Darwin - passed.

a) Expensive

b) not much idea.

5. Defong- shortlisted.

a) Competitive Pricing.

b) Practical approaches.

6. Unimax- passed

a) 0 ideas.

b) Pushy.

c) Expensive.

a)Recommended by friend.

b) Creative.

c) Accomodating.

d)Experienced.

8. Chng Poh Guan

9. Tay Heng Long

a) Expensive.

11. Home Success-Passed

a)Pushy

b)Expensive.

a)Expensive.

13. Au Asia

a)Expensive.

14. Clas.sic idea

a) Expensive.

b) Workmaship was high.

i)Ideal House

ii)Weiken

iii)Defong

iv)Inside Living

v)One Design Werkz.

We did not strike off some IDs which were more expensive as we can give up some items to do as primarily we believe sometimes quality > quantity.

I would not be posting any pictures of the house or floor plan as yet due to the fact that we have not select an ID. ( Some IDs do hang out in this website.)

P.S. there were 3 other IDs that I did not mentioned as they were way above and beyond the budget I gave them.

a) Retz and Relaz

b) Cissern

C) Chew Interior

I can understand RandR as they give lifetime the other 2 not so sure why so god **** ex.

Any updated. finally which one you chose? I also get 6 quotation so far. Retz and Relaz is exp. One Design Werkz ID give me a very good expression, company background is stable, material good, but out of my budget. still searching for others.........

Hi May and Suyun,

a)Good Forum reviews.

b)Competitive pricing.

2. Weiken - Shortlisted.

a)Competitive pricing.

3. Darwin - passed.

a) Expensive

b) not much idea.

5. Defong- shortlisted.

a) Competitive Pricing.

b) Practical approaches.

6. Unimax- passed

a) 0 ideas.

b) Pushy.

c) Expensive.

a)Recommended by friend.

b) Creative.

c) Accomodating.

d)Experienced.

8. Chng Poh Guan

9. Tay Heng Long

a) Expensive.

11. Home Success-Passed

a)Pushy

b)Expensive.

a)Expensive.

13. Au Asia

a)Expensive.

14. Clas.sic idea

a) Expensive.

b) Workmaship was high.

i)Ideal House

ii)Weiken

iii)Defong

iv)Inside Living

v)One Design Werkz.

a) Retz and Relaz

b) Cissern

C) Chew Interior

Hi, good research! I went thru the same process u did, thou my appointed ID was not in your list. My reno has completed about 3 weeks ago, and Im really happy. Everything is about 95% of what I wanted, with the price that I was comfortable with.

I always believed that when we work with the arts (ID is an art, especially when u want "ideas"), the designer is just as important as the credentials of his company. How is the designer like? Does he talk flashy, or come out with ideas that spell $$$? Does he hardsell, or will he change his ideas based on your requirement? If your ID drives a expensive car, wear luxury watches decked in branded clothes from top to bottom, I believe he will not give u ideas that are value for money. Instead, he will be recommending you best of the best stuff at a ultra premium price, whether the idea fits your design or not.

If you are on a budget (I cannot understand how 31k to 120k just for renovation is considered budget, but Im assuming your home should be a terrace or semi-D, FYI I spent 18k on reno, 2k for electrical works, about 10k for fittings, home electricals, beds, lightings and consumables such as cooking spices and daily necessities to fill the fridge up for my 4-room bto), do make sure that your ID is someone who can see the importance of money and a budget. The meeting place to hold a meeting, the type of food he orders, the drinks he orders, conversations that he hold over a phone call, accessories for himself, accessories he uses for his car: all these little things will tell u alot about that person. You should be looking for a person who is honest, careful with money, thinks with logic and arts - not just ideas without the care for cost, and most importantly, humble and listens well.

The right ID for a friend might not be a right ID for you. Hope you choose your ID wisely and enjoy your reno!