Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Lauer

Buying Landed For Rebuilding, A&a, Or Renovation - The Issue Related To Ic

(I don't say that I know everything regarding this topic, please contribute by amending, deleting, adding to the following.)

We will find that, for landed, the public sewage pipe runned underground across the land. The house on which the land sits, its sewage (waste, dirtied water, and sometime rainwater as well) is piped to an intermediate chamber called IC, which is in turn connected to the public sewage pipe underground.

For a Semi-D and of course Bungalow, iis IC can be found outside the house. But not the case of a Terrace; almost all the times we will find it inside the house for non rebuilt Terrace. So we dwell on terraces below.

Occasionally, we will also find a shared IC between 2 neighboring terraces, where either the sewage of the house you are eyeing goes to your neighbor's IC, or the other way round.

So, it pays to have an architect to survey the house before signing the OTP. And you will find that (if a rebuilding or A&A is intended), the architect is very kancheong about how the public sewage pipe & IC run. It probably just costs you a lunch for the architect's service.

The reason is that, there are quite a few by-laws related to the connectivity of the sanitary etc to the IC, and the IC to the public sewage pipe. And these have a direct impact over how a new house or alteration can be designed and approved by PUB/BCA.

Regardless of the type of modification intended, it is a good practice to locate or relocate the new or existing IC outside the house. Put your nose closed to the IC and smell, and you will know what I meant.

And not to mention the hindrance to a proper interior decoration when having the IC indoor, plus the infrequent PUB inspection of the IC when there is a blockage in the public sewage pipe somewhere.

Cheers!

Edited by Lauer

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

(I don't say that I know everything regarding this topic, please contribute by amending, deleting, adding to the following.)

We will find that, for landed, the public sewage pipe runned underground across the land. The house on which the land sits, its sewage (waste, dirtied water, and sometime rainwater as well) is piped to an intermediate chamber called IC, which is in turn connected to the public sewage pipe underground.

For a Semi-D and of course Bungalow, iis IC can be found outside the house. But not the case of a Terrace; almost all the times we will find it inside the house for non rebuilt Terrace. So we dwell on terraces below.

Occasionally, we will also find a shared IC between 2 neighboring terraces, where either the sewage of the house you are eyeing goes to your neighbor's IC, or the other way round.

So, it pays to have an architect to survey the house before signing the OTP. And you will find that (if a rebuilding or A&A is intended), the architect is very kancheong about how the public sewage pipe & IC run. It probably just costs you a lunch for the architect's service.

The reason is that, there are quite a few by-laws related to the connectivity of the sanitary etc to the IC, and the IC to the public sewage pipe. And these have a direct impact over how a new house or alteration can be designed and approved by PUB/BCA.

Regardless of the type of modification intended, it is a good practice to locate or relocate the new or existing IC outside the house. Put your nose closed to the IC and smell, and you will know what I meant.

And not to mention the hindrance to a proper interior decoration when having the IC indoor, plus the infrequent PUB inspection of the IC when there is a blockage in the public sewage pipe somewhere.

Cheers!

What does IC stands for? For inter terrace, anyway to check if it is inside or outside the house ?

Edited by singingbird

IC means intermediate chamber...

Actually, IC is Inspection Chamber.

This is a ground pit where all the sanitary pipes from the toilets and kitchen will discharge the waste to by gravity. For landed properties, there is usually one of these located at the backyard, from this IC, it is connected to a minor sewer (a bigger pipe line) that usually runs outside and parallel to the backyard boundary, where all the ICs for individual houses connect to.

Actually, IC is Inspection Chamber.

This is a ground pit where all the sanitary pipes from the toilets and kitchen will discharge the waste to by gravity. For landed properties, there is usually one of these located at the backyard, from this IC, it is connected to a minor sewer (a bigger pipe line) that usually runs outside and parallel to the backyard boundary, where all the ICs for individual houses connect to.

Most of the terrace and semi-d will have the IC at the backyard. the building plan should reflect the exact position.

Interesting. I was just replying another thread on this topic.

Yes, in older estates, sewage lines actually run about 3m or so below the surface of the ground. Therefore, before purchasing a house, it is worth getting the Sewage/Drainage Interpretation Plan (SIP/DIP) from NEA to understand if there are any sewage line running below the land. Cost $40 when I bought it a year ago. Can be purchased from the NEA website. This will give you the exact location of sewage pipe and the manhole locations.

It can save you a lot of money when it come to doing A&A on house without these sewage issues. If you are to construct over these sewage lines, BCA will require you to build a Reinforced Concrete (RC) trench to protect the sewage pipe before you can construct anything over it. This easily cost about $50k thereabout. Other things like pre and post construction inspection would also have to be done and cost about $5k. Also, if you choose not to build the RC trench, BCA will not allow you to do any construction within several metres from the sewage pipe. That will limit your land use quite significantly.

Bottomline. do your homework before you get a house. haha.

Interesting topic. The reasons given on the issue of sewage pipes were all very relevant and valid. I would just like to add that when house hunting takes place, those details matters a lot less than (1) location, (2) address, (3) land size, (4) budget, and if no reconstruction or major renovation is expected, than (5) the overall design. Indeed, it is prudent to do due diligence on the details before signing the money away.

Hi all,

Has anyone tried to relocate the inspection chamber (IC)? Is it possible in the first place?

I am considering a terrace house but the IC is currently in the kitchen area. The contractor mentioned it would cost S$20k to relocate outside of the terrace house compound / yard area.

Is it just about cost or are there any restrictions to relocating an IC?

Hi all,

Has anyone tried to relocate the inspection chamber (IC)? Is it possible in the first place?

I am considering a terrace house but the IC is currently in the kitchen area. The contractor mentioned it would cost S$20k to relocate outside of the terrace house compound / yard area.

Is it just about cost or are there any restrictions to relocating an IC?

Yes you can, but a qualified person is needed, and I supposed it needs to be included into the submission drawings.

Edited by Advertising Staff

Hi,

Just bought a new place before i stumbled across this thread. :(

So I did a quick check on my dip/sip. Need some advice what are the implications if i dont gave an ic below my house and it is linked to my neighbours' instead?

Hi,

Just bought a new place before i stumbled across this thread. :(

So I did a quick check on my dip/sip. Need some advice what are the implications if i dont gave an ic below my house and it is linked to my neighbours' instead?

If you house's sewer pipes are connected to your neighbor's IC (that is, a shared IC), then your lucky star is shining through.

If you have bought your neighbor's house instead, because its IC is shared, then the location of this IC is more or less fixed. In rebuilding a new house, or an A&A, the house would have to be designed around the location of the IC basically. Which is why we could occasionally see an IC located at the oddest places in a landed; at the kitchen walk way, inside a bedroom, beside the dining table etc.

Cheers!

• Like 1