Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ultimax

What I Wish I Knew Before I Began Renovations

Hello,

Been lurking around here for a while and have benefited from the many tips everyone has shared. Unfortunately, they're usually spread out across many different threads on many different topics. Thought I'd start a new thread that's 100% on advice for those about to begin their renovation journey.

So, to all those who have been-there, done-that, what did you wish you knew before you began your renovations? :)

I'll start with one.

MISTAKE: Never carefully look into how much exactly ID's lighting proposal would cost.

I wish I had paid better attention to my ID's lighting proposal. I had assumed that the price of lighting fixtures was largely affected by design and shop/manufacturer, not so much the technology. A light is a light, right? I can always find something within my budget, right? WRONG! LED lights are very different than PLC lights. They are also a lot more expensive. They are not inter-changeable in many designs.

Lighting fixtures are not part of your ID's quotation so it's easy to overlook that when you talk to your ID about your reno budget. You generally will be focused on what he/she is charging you, and that's how their quotation will be broken down. They will also propose lights based on what works for their design, sometimes forgetting about cost.

So, make sure you ask your ID what type of lighting he/she is proposing, and how much it'll cost. If the lighting proposal calls for LED lighting, you're typically looking at almost $2000 upwards. If you go for PLC lights, you can do your house for half the price.

Actually, this leads to another lesson learnt

MISTAKE: Over-budget for ID, under-budget for everything else.

Thinking your ID's quotation will take up most of your renovation budget, and setting aside too much money for it alone. After all, most of the discussions here are about comparing ID quotations. In reality, your ID's quotation will probably be only 60-70% of your renovation budget. Items necessary but not included in the ID's quotation, like electrical appliances, aircon, furniture etc, can really add up!

Start with your final renovation budget (all things in) in mind, then work backwards. Reverse engineer your renovation. I think most people bust their renovation budget because they don't realise that there are many things which the ID doesn't provide. Appliances and furniture are the obvious examples, but there are many others, from lighting fixtures (see above) to bathroom accessories, curtains to mattresses, which are necessary for the house to be actually liveable.

Edited by ultimax

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Thanks for your advice, Thank god one of the ID's i've met informed me especially on your Mistake part, Reno alone can cost ard 70% but the other 30% most of us aren't aware of this. Me 2 was unaware and my budget was 30k max till he told me its excluding appliances etc etc...Dang

Good tips written for all to share! Should I copy and paste your other words of wisdom in our messages here for the rest of renotalk? Plenty of good information! :) you're a lifesaver for all noobs like me.

Let me add some of mine here.

1) NEVER allow Citygas to do installation of pipings by themselves. Be there to ensure the job is done properly or be prepare to be PISSED all over. Its a long story but i will post some pictures for you guys to see.

2)ALWAYS state the deadline. Delay should cost them money. I didn't state the deadline, now i am paying the price.

3) DO NOT ENGAGE ANY FRIENDS OR RELATIVE AS YOUR CONTRACTOR OR ID.

Let me add some of mine here.

1) NEVER allow Citygas to do installation of pipings by themselves. Be there to ensure the job is done properly or be prepare to be PISSED all over. Its a long story but i will post some pictures for you guys to see.

2)ALWAYS state the deadline. Delay should cost them money. I didn't state the deadline, now i am paying the price.

3) DO NOT ENGAGE ANY FRIENDS OR RELATIVE AS YOUR CONTRACTOR OR ID.

Hi, Blackmamba,

If not the citygas do the piping, who else can do the installation? can explain in more details? thanks :yamseng: