Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Alexz

Drill On Wall Tiles

Hi All,

I try to dril on kitchen wall tiles but crack and crack. Please advise what drill bit size and head should I use? I heard only gt drill bit for walls,woods and metal, no tiles.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi All,

I try to dril on kitchen wall tiles but crack and crack. Please advise what drill bit size and head should I use? I heard only gt drill bit for walls,woods and metal, no tiles.

Adjust the right speed don't drill it at high speed as tiles can crack easily

Hi All,

U can buy a tile bit to make a counter sunk hole or a diamond tip bid to do the same which will prevent cracking.

But so far i drilled no cracking ... do not select hammer when initial drill and control your speed.

Good Luck...

i check with hardware shop they duno wat tiles bit. red wall plug is use wat size of bits?

Hi Alexz,

to prevent chipping of tiles, always start with the smallest drill bit. followed by the next smallest to the exact size you require. tried it before and it works.

:yamseng: ,

Mike

Hello there,

Try to drill the lines between the tiles..

Used a smaller drill bit then slowly upgrade to a bigger one cos bigger drill bit will cost it to crack easily..

Try to use the screw option first then change to the hammer option on your drill..

use a black tape on the tile then drill on the tape..

Cheers

You must use a tile bit. It looks like a spade. Pic below.

Switch off the driller's hammer mode. I like to use the bit with a variable speed drill first to slowly get the hole going. The bit is very efficient and neat.

Once you make it through the tile, you can use a regular masonry drill bit to deepen the hole

Any good hardware shop will have this bit, even the neighbourhood ones. Homefix has it too but sizes may be limited. It's less than $10 there, abt $5 at the neighbourhood shops.

I have to say this is my favourite bit because it saved me a lot of money. Didn't have to pay the contractor to mount my bathroom/kitchen finishings :)

Good luck!

Glass-Tile-Drill-Bit-TWD00023-.jpg

Hello there,

Try to drill the lines between the tiles..

Used a smaller drill bit then slowly upgrade to a bigger one cos bigger drill bit will cost it to crack easily..

Try to use the screw option first then change to the hammer option on your drill..

use a black tape on the tile then drill on the tape..

Cheers

ok.. homo tiles.. some are super hard, need to use the drill bit meant for granite. And when drilling, need to use tons of water to cool the bit.

For wall tiles, after marking out the holes, use a hammer and a drill bit to chisel out a chip so that the drill bit got a countersunk hole to bite into.

Then turn off hammer mode and drill lightly to make sure the bit dun run off. Drill using low speed, and dip the bit into water to cool it occasionally.

It's almost like grinding a hole.

Once the drill bit has penetrated beyond the tile.. into the screed or brick layer, then activate the hammer mode.