Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kovankitty

Where To Place Buddha Altar?

Hi

Attached is my 5-rm floor plan. Am looking to build a small full height cabinet to place a Buddha statue.

Would prefer the altar to face the living room windows. But where is the ideal location?

I intend to place a glass partition slightly after the main door but I do not want to block the view thru' the

glass panel, hence I don't think I would want the altar to be placed against the glass partition facing the living

room window.

Am thinking if I can ask the contractor to build the cabinet along the wall between the dining and kitchen, but my

hubby is concerned about ashes etc if the incense is burning while we are having dinner.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/145/floorplan.jpg/

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

custom make ur altar with roof ?

It will be a full height cabinet, with a cut-out to place the Buddha slightly above eye level. But I m not sure where to install this full height cabinet.

It will be a full height cabinet, with a cut-out to place the Buddha slightly above eye level. But I m not sure where to install this full height cabinet.

Where do u wish the buddha to face ?

ok, i went through ur initial post n gather u wish for the altar to face the living room windows... The ideal place is actually near the glass partition u intend to build but u worry for the obstructed view. Actually, y u worry abt the view being blocked ? If u cannot see outside, ppl outside also cannot see u...

Edited by Speed45

Just a suggestion...seal up the original Kitchen entrance and open a new entrance near the Shelter area. Place your Buddha beside the Main door facing the Living window.(this is the best position.)

Are you aware that Buddha/Goddess should not be facing/place in front of the dinner table, this is disrespectful as we are eating meaty food as Buddhas are Vegetarian.

Do you know the direction of all corners of your house? What is the Main door corner direction?

Just a suggestion...seal up the original Kitchen entrance and open a new entrance near the Shelter area. Place your Buddha beside the Main door facing the Living window.(this is the best position.)

Are you aware that Buddha/Goddess should not be facing/place in front of the dinner table, this is disrespectful as we are eating meaty food as Buddhas are Vegetarian.

Do you know the direction of all corners of your house? What is the Main door corner direction?

Yeah, I also thought about this location as an alternative to the other choice facing the dinner table, but not sure if it is ok ooz the altar will then be against the wall from which behind is just the corridor and possibly shoes may be placed (?). Of course we can try to keep shoes inside the house (in shoe cabinet) but in the event when there are guests, they usually leave their shoes outside the main door.

Pardon my ignorance, but I didn't know praying altar shouldn't be placed in front of dining table. Many thanks for the reminder and tip.

Whole house layout generally is North-South facing.

Where do u wish the buddha to face ?

ok, i went through ur initial post n gather u wish for the altar to face the living room windows... The ideal place is actually near the glass partition u intend to build but u worry for the obstructed view. Actually, y u worry abt the view being blocked ? If u cannot see outside, ppl outside also cannot see u...

Well, I mean to say that I do not wish to block out totally the glass view by placing the altar against the glass panel wall.

Coz we want to be able to see who is coming thru the front door but yet we don't want pple outside the corridor to see right

thru' our house (coz we are used to leaving the main door open for more ventilation).

This is what I worry about the obstructed view...from the inside of the house, which we do not want. Otherwise we wouldn't have

intended to build a glass partition instead of whole wall.

Yeah, I also thought about this location as an alternative to the other choice facing the dinner table, but not sure if it is ok ooz the altar will then be against the wall from which behind is just the corridor and possibly shoes may be placed (?). Of course we can try to keep shoes inside the house (in shoe cabinet) but in the event when there are guests, they usually leave their shoes outside the main door.

Pardon my ignorance, but I didn't know praying altar shouldn't be placed in front of dining table. Many thanks for the reminder and tip.

Whole house layout generally is North-South facing.

IMHO, shoes or slipper behind a wall is ok, no issues at all. Just keep that area clean and fresh.

If that corner is NW, it will be the best to have the Altar there as NW represent Heaven... :yamseng:

Edited by multi888

IMHO, shoes or slipper behind a wall is ok, no issues at all. Just keep that area clean and fresh.

If that corner is NW, it will be the best to have the Altar there as NW represent Heaven... :yamseng:

Is it Heaven or Nirvana?

Just asking.

Enjoy!

Well, I mean to say that I do not wish to block out totally the glass view by placing the altar against the glass panel wall.

Coz we want to be able to see who is coming thru the front door but yet we don't want pple outside the corridor to see right

thru' our house (coz we are used to leaving the main door open for more ventilation).

This is what I worry about the obstructed view...from the inside of the house, which we do not want. Otherwise we wouldn't have

intended to build a glass partition instead of whole wall.

ok, im abit curious here... how do you propose for the glass panel to work both ways ; To be able to see who is coming through the front door but yet people outside the corridor cannot see inside your house ?

you reply no but no explanation ? Dont always keep people in suspense leh

Well, I thought that FS preceded Buddhism. And also Buddhists speak of attaining nirvana; heaven & **** is more of a borrowed concept from Hinduism.

By the way, regarding altar position, it should be which direction to face when praying and not which direction the altar (a symbol more than anything) should face.

Regarding the discussion on facing dining table, I found the thinking odd that it is ok as long as the meal is taken behind the Buddha's back?

Enjoy!