Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kooky

Add A Maid's Room

Does anyone know if we are allowed to section some space between the Study and Kitchen to create a Maid's room in EM? The doorway entrance will be via the living room area.

A friend told me that such layout will not be approved by HDB. If you have done this, would you be so kind to share the outcome? Thank you.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

What generation of EM do you have - square or rectangular balcony?

If its the first generation, the study room next to the front door is already small to begin with.

If its the second generation with a larger study room, sectioning off would create cramped conditions for both the study and the maid - and if the maid doesn't get the side that has the windows, its pretty crap conditions for her to live in. Literally a closet.

Even if HDB approves it, I think its not such a great idea from the liveability aspect. i suspect though, if you put up fibreboard partitions that are non structural, though, HDB may not raise an issue.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

No, it is NOT just a section from the Study. To create this maid's room, we will section off some part of the Study and the Kitchen so that it's big enough to put in a bed and a wardrobe. By the way, we intend to install door with louvre or ventilation purpose. We will build up a wall after the original wall between the Kitchen and the Study is being hacked off.

Mine is a generation 2 layout.

My only thinking is if this is acceptable by HDB.

For my 5-room flat (128 sqm), I have created a small maid's room (about 5.5 sqm) from the big kitchen. The door to maid's room is from living room and it is a louvred door so that air can flow in. I also created an opening at one top side of wall for a window for the maid's room.

I ever visited a Gen 2 EM with a tiny room partition out frm the kitchen area...studyroom remain the same size.

But ventilation wise i feel its stuffy even with lourve door

I ever visited a Gen 2 EM with a tiny room partition out frm the kitchen area...studyroom remain the same size.

But ventilation wise i feel its stuffy even with lourve door

Hello hello!

You still active in this forum ah... Hehe :)

U know me? Make a guess.... Keke :)

For my 5-room flat (128 sqm), I have created a small maid's room (about 5.5 sqm) from the big kitchen. The door to maid's room is from living room and it is a louvred door so that air can flow in. I also created an opening at one top side of wall for a window for the maid's room.

For the renovation of my 5-room flat, I am thinking of changing both toilet bowl positions so that a nice wall to wall vanity top can be put in place in both bathrooms. Have anyone of you changed the toilet bowl positions before? Thanks.

The windows will not enclose the whole of void area but only up to the roof at the void area. The compressor is put at the side above the roof.

Very mysterious... do you have a 5 room, or are you renovating now? Or do you have an EM?

Hi Adidaem, Sorry for my late reply. I was away on holidays. Mine is a 5-Room flat in Woodlands and am planning for renovation sometime next year. I am always curious why the void area of an EM cannot be used as a loft.

Very mysterious... do you have a 5 room, or are you renovating now? Or do you have an EM?

Hi Adidaem, Sorry for my late reply. I was away on holidays. Mine is a 5-Room flat in Woodlands and am planning for renovation sometime next year. I am always curious why the void area of an EM cannot be used as a loft.

Look at what my ex-owner did to the void at staircase.... turned it into a study corner.

HDB did not even ask them to remove it upon inspection. So they don't really go by the book lor....but u have to take risk... heehee http://www.renotalk.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.gif

I have to spend money to dismantle the illegal platform.http://www.renotalk.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/furious.gif

Edited by potatoes

Hi potatoes,

So what my ID said was true la. Things can be done with risks taken. If get caught then face consequences.

I was discussing with him over installation of two air con compressors then.

Hi potatoes,

So what my ID said was true la. Things can be done with risks taken. If get caught then face consequences.

I was discussing with him over installation of two air con compressors then.

That's true.....one yr after my reno, finally I got my 2nd air con compressor installed. I m sure ur ID has a way to get this done.

That's true.....one yr after my reno, finally I got my 2nd air con compressor installed. I m sure ur ID has a way to get this done.

Hehe... :dribble: i think and consider first.

Would pole and shelving wardrobe save space and money as its meant for maid?