Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Erwinong

Anyone Used 3M Removable Picture Hooks/strips?

Hi,

Wonder if any of you have used the strips or hooks for hanging pictures on walls, instead of drilling a hole.

I have heard mixed reviews. There are quite many people who have their pictures crash to the floor even though they follow the instructions.

Anyone has any bad experiences to share?

Thanks!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I'm using both strips and hooks.

For strips, I use 4 strips more then the instruction. As the photo was hunging just above my sofa. I don't want get whack by it when sitting at the sofa. So far so good. Hung since Q3 2010

For the hooks, some ok. Some not.

But I notice, those tape that I bought and didn't finish it and keep for further use. They not that effective.

Sometime, after a period of time, like 1-2 yrs. It will drop.

My puzzle just drop off on Monday. I think hung for 1 yrs plus.

I used them to hold my movie posters on the wall, frames are those wooden frames from ikea, followed the 3M instruction, recommended weight etc, but all the frames came crashing down. Frames broke.

I dont recommend this product.

yup,me too.

product not that effective or so called "magical"(at least not for me)

dont reli can hold onto things(even those that didnt exceed the product's recommeded max weight)for long period of time.My longest record is about 6 months,before things came crashing down.

I have try few of them but still not so good. :furious:

Mayb it's my problem :dunno:

I used them to hold my movie posters on the wall, frames are those wooden frames from ikea, followed the 3M instruction, recommended weight etc, but all the frames came crashing down. Frames broke.

I dont recommend this product.

My photo frames also wooden frames from Ikea.

3M instruction was like 4 strips. 1 each at each side.

I, Kasu, I put extra strip in between the 4 sides.

Mean I use 8 strips.

Then instruction say must press for 60 sec.

I kasu again, press for 3 min.

Frames crash.. not so bad.

But crash on my head.. no no..

Hey everyone, thanks for the reply.

That's exactly the responses I got on many forums and websites. Very mixed reviews.

There are many who said they followed closely the 3M instructions but their frames and some even glass products still crashed.

But there are others who had luck with it. Some also said they are ok for 1-2 months, then after that still crashed. Some used it for more than a year no problem.

I think I will not risk my picture frame. Quite disappointed. Thought I found a good way to avoid nails. For those general stuffs, especially cheap ones, maybe can try.

therat, how big is your picture frame? Is it heavy?

I'm thinking of hanging a 1.1m long canvas print. It has wooden frame at the back. The weight is within 3M's specs, but the length is a bit too long. Not sure if it's worth the risk....

Btw, can you remove the tape on the back of the frame without damaging it should you decide not to use the 3M method any more?

Thanks for sharing.

I have used 3M to hang my wedding frame, those long and big type since late 2009.

Now it is still hanging up high.

Forgotten how many stripes i have used, but it does not costs much so no harm use more to secure firmly.

Edited by RyanMelissa

I have used 3M to hang my wedding frame, those long and big type since late 2009.

Now it is still hanging up high.

Forgotten how many stripes i have used, but it does not costs much so no harm use more to secure firmly.

Hi RyanMelissa, wow... are you using the 3M velcro type strips?

Is your wedding picture frame like 1 meter or more in length, with frame thickness about 3-4cm?

Thanks for your feedback!!

Edited by Erwinong

therat, how big is your picture frame? Is it heavy?

I'm thinking of hanging a 1.1m long canvas print. It has wooden frame at the back. The weight is within 3M's specs, but the length is a bit too long. Not sure if it's worth the risk....

Btw, can you remove the tape on the back of the frame without damaging it should you decide not to use the 3M method any more?

Thanks for sharing.

I forget the exact size. but it's bigger then A3 size.

Black wooden frame, Those wide frame.

My frame is a bit long. That's why I put extra strip in the middle of the frame.

I didn't remove the tape from the frame but I did remove the tape from the wall when I sold away my old house.

The wall paint still in good shape.

Hi, my personal rule when using is to play safe.

For example, the hook may say 2kg load, so I only hang stuff less than 1 kg.

I hang my wedding frame, which is like 1m by 1m with 4 of the big sized hooks (4kg load).

U can say i'm kiasu, but I don't want to drill my walls and I don't want my wedding frame to fall on my head too. Haha.

One more thing, I clean wipe the area with soap water n wet cloth before I stick.

And let the hooks stay there for a day before I hang.

My experience is the hooks are great as no drilling is involve, but u cannot trust the recommended weight load.

Hope this help :)

ignatiuz:

Thanks for sharing. Yours is a positive experience indeed. And a large frame there.

But you mentioned you used 4 HOOKS. How did you use so many to hang your wedding picture? As in paste the hooks onto the wall in a row and hang the wire over them? Or do you mean 4 STRIPS?

Some people have mentioned they also tried to be kiasu and used within the weight limit but theirs still drop. It's good that yours stayed. Maybe it's their walls that are not suitable?

therat:

You never used the 3M any more for your new home to hang stuffs?

I have a 2 sided glass frame ( around 30 cm by 45 cm) with wooden frame. Used 3M stick on. Changed the stick on like after 2 yrs and so far so gd. But I guess it has to do with the environment, whether is it near the window? Strong winds can weaken the 3M stick on? I am not sure. I think we sticked more than what is required. :notti:

I also used the 3M caddy in the bathroom for my kid. 1 yr has gone by n it is still staying strong. :yamseng:

Hi RyanMelissa, wow... are you using the 3M velcro type strips?

Is your wedding picture frame like 1 meter or more in length, with frame thickness about 3-4cm?

Thanks for your feedback!!

Hi Erwinong,

My wedding picture frame is those type with 3 pictures together, with wooden frame.

Not sure about the size though, we should have the same kind of frame which the bridal shop provide us.

Yes, we are using the velcro type!

If i remember correctly, we stick quite a few velcro (bought a few packs) to be safe.

So far, it is doing fine now.

Also we are moving to our new flat end of this year, i always wonder whether 3M really doesnt stick to the wall after removal.

Edited: We have use some other products from 3M as well, no issue with the 'stick'. (eg: towel hanger/holder, sponge holder, hooks, and also the one with a shape like a small basket).

Thing is, 3M states that there will be no 'leftover' after removal. Which we have yet to try, since their products nvr fell off before, lol. But we shall know by end of this year, when we are moving out.

Cheers.

Edited by RyanMelissa

Thanks limtan and Ryanmelissa.

Actually come to think of it, it's an amazing design.

Only thing is, there are different opinions on it. But so far, it's good to hear you've had yours stay for so long.

I will see how... If really can't help it, then got to use nail. I think that's the strongest. Actually my friends were telling me, for large picture frames, best to use nails. Moreover, it is very unlikely we would shift its position even many years later.