Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sih

Exhaust Fan In Toilet

My toilet has Louvers windows and it has Grill, Im planning to

• Remove grill if there is need then remove 2-3 panel of glass
  • Install aluminum frame with Glass or Acrylic
  • Cut the hole for exhaust fan
  • I want to do installation by myself (Including electrical)

Question:

• Do I need HDB Approval?
  • Where can I get the frame with glass/acrylic?
  • Any Idea about cost?

Edited by sih

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

My toilet has Louvers windows and it has Grill, Im planning to

• Remove grill if there is need then remove 2-3 panel of glass
  • Install aluminum frame with Glass or Acrylic
  • Cut the hole for exhaust fan
  • I want to do installation by myself (Including electrical)

Question:

• Do I need HDB Approval?
  • Where can I get the frame with glass/acrylic?
  • Any Idea about cost?

Really need the fan for "private consumption"? How many ppls use the tiolet, 24 hr a day? I can understand those coffee shop tiolet, too many users...so need fan, but own home ??? consume electricity to burn pocket a hole?

Edited by bepgof

I'm planning to install exhaust fans as well.

Exhaust fans will help to expedite the drying in your toilet. Of course the fan doesnt have to be in operation 24x7. On it for 1 or 2 hours after bathing to remove excessive moisture

I'm planning to install exhaust fans as well.

Exhaust fans will help to expedite the drying in your toilet. Of course the fan doesnt have to be in operation 24x7. On it for 1 or 2 hours after bathing to remove excessive moisture

Question:

[*]Do I need HDB Approval?

You'll need a permit for the replacement of the bathroom vent, not for the electrical part though.

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10324p.nsf/w/HomeRenoGuidelinesBuilding?OpenDocument#Bathroom

Anyway, the power consumption is fairly low.

Example: KDK's basic 15WUD model is rated at 9W. Used 2hrs a day at the current tariff of $0.27 per kWh = $0.15 a day = $1.79 a year.

Even if you left it on 24/7, it works out to $1.77 a month.

Edited by artblakey

You'll need a permit for the replacement of the bathroom vent, not for the electrical part though.

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10324p.nsf/w/HomeRenoGuidelinesBuilding?OpenDocument#Bathroom

Anyway, the power consumption is fairly low.

Example: KDK's basic 15WUD model is rated at 9W. Used 2hrs a day at the current tariff of $0.27 per kWh = $0.15 a day = $1.79 a year.

Even if you left it on 24/7, it works out to $1.77 a month.

i'm planning to install this fan too in my toilets... is maintenance easy.. i know silly question.... but will it be troublesome to clean off dust trapped ..

i'm planning to install this fan too in my toilets... is maintenance easy.. i know silly question.... but will it be troublesome to clean off dust trapped ..

I will be installing it too, just tap it to your light switch. makes the toilet clean and dry and prevent algae from building up.

quite difficult to have trapped dust, just blow it off with a can of compressed air once a year will do.

I will be installing it too, just tap it to your light switch. makes the toilet clean and dry and prevent algae from building up.

quite difficult to have trapped dust, just blow it off with a can of compressed air once a year will do.

Does anyone have pics on how this can be installed on a louvered window?

Intend to install for the toilet which has a louvered ventilation window.

Does anyone have pics on how this can be installed on a louvered window?

Intend to install for the toilet which has a louvered ventilation window.

This is what my ID did.

12122012020.jpg

THe glass pane with circlular cut out and aluminium border cost me $50, which I think is cheap compared to the prices I've seen here. But as always, it came as part of the totla package so you know lah :)

The fan I'm using is the KDK 15WUD. I think it was $50+ at Chan Huat.

You could DIY the whole thing if you want, just that it may not look as nice. It's not difficult to remove the glass pane. You can get an acrylic shop to cut a piece to size. Mounting the fan is straightforward. Wiring is also straight forward (usual 3 wires - Earth, live and neutral). The whole piece is secured in place with sillicone.

Hi ultimax,

Where did you get the Aluminum border and cut the circular cut in glass? Do you have any pics to share.

Hi, i am renovating my HDB bathrooms now and I saw your piping box up with access vents in this picture below.

Would like to ask you where u got the access vents or was it already installed by HDB when u got the flat?

12122012020.jpg

Edited by wizi

I remember someone mentioning he installed a timer control on the power supply, so after he does his business, just set the timer for the duration to let the fan operate and turn off automatically after that. I find it a very good idea. Never done this myself as I didn't install this in my house.

In my previous place, i fit the fan and light to the same switch, so when i turn on the light to shower/do biz, the fan is operational.

I find that this is alot more efficient. most of the moisture/smell is removed even before we are done with what we are doing.

just wondering if anyone has a cheap contractor to recommend, for the installation of exhaust fans and bi-fold doors? would greatly appreciate some recommendations! TIA

This is what my ID did.

12122012020.jpg

THe glass pane with circlular cut out and aluminium border cost me $50, which I think is cheap compared to the prices I've seen here. But as always, it came as part of the totla package so you know lah smile.gif

The fan I'm using is the KDK 15WUD. I think it was $50+ at Chan Huat.

You could DIY the whole thing if you want, just that it may not look as nice. It's not difficult to remove the glass pane. You can get an acrylic shop to cut a piece to size. Mounting the fan is straightforward. Wiring is also straight forward (usual 3 wires - Earth, live and neutral). The whole piece is secured in place with sillicone.

Hi ultimax,

Thanks for sharing. I got my contractor to do the same thing. However, my window is dead fixed (i.e. can't be opened) after the ventilation fan was installed. Is yours the same?

Also, my contractor initially promised to provide 15WHPC and then delivered 15WUD instead which is a cheaper model.

Did you have any issues with 15WUD?

How much did your contractor charge you for the 15WUD inclusive of window customization and fixing of the whole thing?

Thanks much in advance for sharing!