Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Ken Wong

寒舍

Hehe, really ah? :lol:

Always wondered if my blog has influenced anyone (whether in a big or small way) to buy an EM. So nice to finally 'meet' someone! I was also inspired by other EM owners, so it's nice to be able to spread the 'love'. :D

Btw it takes a while to get used to the stairs hor. Think it took me abt 3 months to go up/down-stairs without mentally grumbling.

nowadays I go thru your blog again for tips lor.. :thumbs up::thumbs up: like a EM encyclopedia ..esp for lazy people like me ..lol

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Ah, I understand. Don't worry the pain goes away after a while. And it really does wonders to your mood when you back to a gorgeous home. :)

Does seem like reno costs have gone up quite a bit over the past year? Looking back my reno is relatively cheap compared to the recent ones by you, summersann, etc. But at the time I did mine, I was actually quite embarrassed to mention the cost. :P

Yes Reno cost have gone up so much due to inflation. Salary didn't go up....

Last time when I hear ppl Reno their house around $100k I was :bow::jawdrop:

Compare to now........ U cant really do much if u set a low budget.

Everything is so expensive now

Edited by popcornm3

10 big 120 small... Laughing to the bank... :rofl:

Gd luck bro! Huat ah! :drunk:

Yes Reno cost have gone up so much due to inflation. Salary didn't go up....

Last time when I hear ppl Reno their house around $100k I was :bow::jawdrop:

Compare to now........ U cant really do much if u set a low budget.

Everything is so expensive now

Maybe also too many owners renovating (resale, BTO, SOBF and others), ID / contractors also very busy with many jobs. I encounter a few Ai Lai Mai Swah attitude ID. During our selection of ID / contractor, when they know that your's is an EM, they say must prepare min $60K - $70K to SIMPLE renovate an EM nia.. :bangwall:

Maybe also too many owners renovating (resale, BTO, SOBF and others), ID / contractors also very busy with many jobs. I encounter a few Ai Lai Mai Swah attitude ID. During our selection of ID / contractor, when they know that your's is an EM, they say must prepare min $60K - $70K to SIMPLE renovate an EM nia.. :bangwall:

Agreed :( We met 11 IDs, and our quotations all came up to be about the same (~80k, not inclusive of electrical rewiring). And the price jumped fast whenever we decided to change anything. In the end, we gave up! We just picked the one who could design the best, give us the best ideas, and was the most willing to work with our budget without going too over it :P

still in the midst of bringing our budget down, but looks like it's not going to go anywhere lower than 90 :bleah:

Edited by summersann

wah..tao hin...so much money..ask my ah lao sell backside also not enough

If u don't mind he can join me @ changi point. I can help him to chop a place if I go early

Edited by popcornm3

If u don't mind he can join me @ changi point. I can help him to chop a place if I go early

kum sia for the offer..prob is chop early cannot sell also jialat

Gd luck bro! Huat ah! :drunk:

Huat Ahhhh.......

same same bro we can set a budget to the ID or contractor and tell them dont exceed if not we can also Ai Lai Mai Swah

Edited by popcornm3

Agreed :( We met 11 IDs, and our quotations all came up to be about the same (~80k, not inclusive of electrical rewiring). And the price jumped fast whenever we decided to change anything. In the end, we gave up! We just picked the one who could design the best, give us the best ideas, and was the most willing to work with our budget without going too over it :P

still in the midst of bringing our budget down, but looks like it's not going to go anywhere lower than 90 :bleah:

especially year end before CNY project. all contract and ID sure mark up price

summersann, agreed that some ID / contractor quote much higher once the design change. So bopian have to talk to ID / contractor, see if there are ways to bring down the damage.

Example (1): if you have glass or mirror, try keep it within the length that can goes into the lift. If the length is too long, workers have to go up via stairs, ID / contractor will mark-up higher incase they break it and extra labour cost.

Example (2): material wastage. Raw material is normally 4" x 8" (approx 1220mm x 2440mm), if the length exceeds the raw material length, price will be much higher.

Huat Ahhhh.......

same same bro we can set a budget to the ID or contractor and tell them dont exceed if not we can also Ai Lai Mai Swah

Bro, we must change the ID or contractor mindset.

Not all EM owner are as rich as they thought lor.. Dun bring out their knife once they see our floor plan is EM leh.. :jawdrop:

summersann, agreed that some ID / contractor quote much higher once the design change. So bopian have to talk to ID / contractor, see if there are ways to bring down the damage.

Example (1): if you have glass or mirror, try keep it within the length that can goes into the lift. If the length is too long, workers have to go up via stairs, ID / contractor will mark-up higher incase they break it and extra labour cost.

Example (2): material wastage. Raw material is normally 4" x 8" (approx 1220mm x 2440mm), if the length exceeds the raw material length, price will be much higher.

Bro, we must change the ID or contractor mindset.

Not all EM owner are as rich as they thought lor.. Dun bring out their knife once they see our floor plan is EM leh.. :jawdrop:

ID also sales man I mean very good sales man. How ever there are some really good ID around

As for my ID her knife is very sharp, sharper than her boss.

Off course every thing there is a price to pay. The pay off is she delivery her promise, to me that's the most important things

From what I know in the forum. There are ID and contractor over promise under deliver end up the house become lemon house

I have found quote much cheaper but cheap thing don't come good and fast

End of the day I don't want my family to sleep at road side if the ID can't handover the house

8 weeks to over haul an EM seems impossible. But she did it :good:

Just my 2 baht worth :yamseng:

Edited by popcornm3

nowadays I go thru your blog again for tips lor.. :thumbs up::thumbs up: like a EM encyclopedia ..esp for lazy people like me ..lol

To me.. Her blog is a EM Reno handbook... ;)

Woah, thanks. I wish I am as knowledgeable as you make me sound. Am still learning lots from the folks on the forum and am definitely not as hands on as those who engaged contractors. Like the other day was reading Jumbopanther's guide to cutting tiles. (http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49834&view=findpost&p=758071) :o Would never have thought of such things lor...

Some pic to share from last Friday progress. Been busy with work over the week end as sales has benn very slow ver the last 2 months

Further more my boss is a very result oriented person plus 出了名难搞, so I must on the ball

TV features wall (on the right is a door to access to the balcony)

59C07278-9184-4EAA-B677-16B7A7988685-1303-0000009295AC6E7D.jpg

Shoes cabinet ( on the left is a door access to the study room, we have actually convert the study room into 2 section with partition. Maid room and store room)

Wife just told me maid that she has been promoted to store room supervisor :notti:

98BF837A-0AF7-409C-B502-B9C0ED478E9E-1303-00000092F855881D.jpg

Edited by popcornm3

ID also sales man I mean very good sales man. How ever there are some really good ID around

As for my ID her knife is very sharp, sharper than her boss.

Off course every thing there is a price to pay. The pay off is she delivery her promise, to me that's the most important things

From what I know in the forum. There are ID and contractor over promise under deliver end up the house become lemon house

I have found quote much cheaper but cheap thing don't come good and fast

End of the day I don't want my family to sleep at road side if the ID can't handover the house

8 weeks to over haul an EM seems impossible. But she did it :good:

Just my 2 baht worth :yamseng:

Bro, I totally agreed. If we want horse to run, we must feed horse with grass. If we dun feed horse with grass, ask horse how to run? :horse:

Everyone needs to earn a living, a cost is a cost. If ID or contractor needs to earn their margin, we have to give them reasonable profit margin. We dun shortchange people, neither we want people to take advantage of us. If we pay a bit more and get want we want or meet our timeline, then everyone is happy. But some ID / contractor mark up too high, then we have to find others who can do the same job at a much competitive price.