Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
weijie1984

Renovation That Goes All The Way To Small Claim Tribunal

Hi fellow renotalk-ers,

I took my keys in Nov 2011 and started renovation Feb 2012.

To minimize third-party cost, we decided to opt for 2 contractors to help us with different expertise they are proficient in. One was a contractor that has his own carpentry workshop, the other helped us with all our other renovation matters (electricity, plumbing, hacking, flooring etc).

Working with the contractor who helped us with the "other" renovation matters went on smoothly with considerable results.

Well, as the saying goes, **** happens! And that's what happened to a new house owner like me.

The work of this carpentry contractor is horrible! And when you highlight to him why it is done this manner while the standard practice among the industry is not the case. Take for example below,

photo1.jpg

photo4.jpg

This is the photo taken after the contractor was asked to do a pelmet for the sliding glass panel. Initially I thought this was half done as the standard practice is to cover up with a layer of cement screed or something, but to my horror!

photo2.jpg

HE PAINTED OVER THE WOOD SURFACE AND CLAIMED THAT ITS THE FINISHED PRODUCT. Imagine you can see the wood grain lines upon a closer look?!!!

*HIGHLIGHT OF THIS POST*

We found out during renovation that this portion of our island top has a cracked chipped portion! And unless they change the entire strip, we reserve the right not to pay them since it was defective goods. As we still have yet to finish the total payment amount, we duly informed that unless the island top gets a relamination, we are not going to honour the contract and pay him the rest of the payment (10% of the total quoted sum). His answer is,"we can only help you patch up; no reduction in the payment". He also mentioned that the reason of the crack could be inflicted by the cooler box that weighs less than 2kg with nothing inside! Aren't our table top supposed to withstand weight higher than this?!!!

photo3.jpg

IMG_6955.jpg

Can you imagine the crack to spread downwards as times goes by? even they patch back, how much better can it help the damaged condition?

After a few months, we thought that fine, we will hold onto the remaining payment since they didn't honour their product as per contract. To our disbelief, we receive a letter from Small Claims Tribunal that we did not pay the remaining sum, and the damage was inflicted AFTER the renovation!

So the lesson is, please please please do not use this contractor:

Metal & Wood General Contractor

Lucas Lau Chee Meng 9681 2033

This is a warning, try engaging him if you do not believe my words.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Y is it easy for contractor/id to inflict fear and/or stress to home owners through SCT whereas they are like 'fearless' when it came to homeowners reporting them? This is so unfair... :(

Precisely! That's why I'm determined to fight till the end.

Can't stand all these contractors who can't perform their job well and yet dare to take legal action. Will be bringing my invoices from other sub-contractors and prove to them that if their items are delivered, payment was made on time.

Y is it easy for contractor/id to inflict fear and/or stress to home owners through SCT whereas they are like 'fearless' when it came to homeowners reporting them? This is so unfair... :(

I'm sure there is a mediation session where both you and the contractor will attend. The Registrar will listen to both sides of the story and he's a reasonable guy. I won my case at the SCT before for some other claims on IT equipment.

Hi Sentinel, Yes, there will be a mediation session. Hope we can settle the case there, however based on the personal email correspondence with him, he doesnt seem to understand me or is refusing to acknowledge my questions. Did you get a full refund at SCT or did you have to compromise your terms?

Hi Sentinel, Yes, there will be a mediation session. Hope we can settle the case there, however based on the personal email correspondence with him, he doesnt seem to understand me or is refusing to acknowledge my questions. Did you get a full refund at SCT or did you have to compromise your terms?

I got a partial refund, about 70% because I had been using the item, a digital photo frame for a few months. Just don't be intimidated, even if the Registrar side with the contractor. Try asking the Registrar whether you can counter-sue him as well. It's very cheap for us to launch a SCT claim, more expensive for companies.

Hey everyone.

Just a quick update on what happened with the negotiation with the director of the company:

Didnt work.

So now i am actually at small claims tribunal and hubby is in the mediation chambers. I will be providing a live update on what is happening.

Within 5 mins of the consultation, hubby came out and told me we printed the wrong company.

Its not Add.Space Design. Its ***. Apparently they are a branch of the company.

Problem is, the showroom we have been going to is at 507 balestier, the email corespondance said 507 balestier, but the address for add.space lifestyle is 505 balestier.

So i dont know what dirty trick they have up their sleeves, trying to mask what with the many branches they have within one showroom...

But they just made me waste another 5.50 on them.

Edited by MelanieTan

Thanks for providing updates to this. I am very interested in small claims tribunal cases and understanding to what extent the law is on the consumer's side.

Hey everyone.

Just a quick update on what happened with the negotiation with the director of the company:

Didnt work.

So now i am actually at small claims tribunal and hubby is in the mediation chambers. I will be providing a live update on what is happening.

Within 5 mins of the consultation, hubby came out and told me we printed the wrong company.

Its not Add.Space Design. Its ***. Apparently they are a branch of the company.

Problem is, the showroom we have been going to is at 507 balestier, the email corespondance said 507 balestier, but the address for add.space lifestyle is 505 balestier.

So i dont know what dirty trick they have up their sleeves, trying to mask what with the many branches they have within one showroom...

But they just made me waste another 5.50 on them.

OMG, your id firm is Add_Space? We did approach them during selection but didn't choose them because the guy didn't follow up ...

Edited by sentinel

Most ID firms, reno contractors wouldn't blink an eye when you demand the touch up work or demand a one for one replacement simply because they already collected their profit from the 3th payment. The last payment normally would be to pass to your friends, agents who recommend them to you.

It is a standard practice that if you don't pay up the 10%, a SCT will be use against you. Since they initiated a patch up, they have done their part. As long they have done some recommendation or touch up, chances are slim.

I am quite familiar with SCT process. Some advice:-

- Be precise. Sue the right contracting party. Check the quotation, invoice etc. For businesses & companies, you can do a free ACRA search.

- Be clear. Know exactly what you want: refund or reduction in price. Don't go with only a vague idea. Nobody is not going to help you and you will end up confused.

- Be concise. Limit your case to no more than 2 pages and go straight to the point. Don't tell a super long grandmother story because the mediator or registrar is going to switch off after you go on and on. Forget about the irrelevant irritating other things that have no impact on the actual issue at hand. No point telling about how you waited 3 hours for him, how he dirtied your floor, how you could have got cheaper elsewhere... Go straight to the point. He promised, you paid, he did not deliver.

- Be prepared. Verbal evidence is quite useless before the SCT. You said, he said: who is the Registrar going to believe? Try to get documentary evidence: quotation, contract, photographs, SMS, whatsapp.

- Be realistic and practical. At the end of the day, be prepared to compromise a little. You may not be able to get back 100% of what you paid. Just accept it and move on. Treat it as lesson learnt or just bad luck.

My last SCT experience was posted here. I actually tried to talk nicely to the shop & supplier were so arrogant that I simply had to teach them a lesson. I offered a very reasonable solution to them but they came back with a ridiculous offer that left me with no choice. Still, I would urge all of you try to resolve disputes amicably if possible before proceeding to SCT.

Edited by kstoh

• Like 1