Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Lunareverie

Strictly Scandinavian Home

Hi Lunareverie,

congrats to you for getting such a huge home:)

why do you want to restrict yourself to the scandi style since your natural preference is not that?

Thanks.

Well I tot scandi style is nice from the pics I see. So I do hope to achieve like something like wat I see on the websites. My hubby do not like retro scandi or quirky scandi style... So I'm trying hard to something pleasing to the eyes. Hmmm I dunno wat my natural preference, mayb u can enlighten me? Thanks.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

i guess when we look at Scandinavian homes, we tend to see green plants, art prints, paintings, floor/table lamps, etc...perhaps you might want to look for paintings/art prints that will suit your theme...also most importantly you like those painting/art prints... if not you end up achieving the look but not to your liking...

Thanks.

Well I tot scandi style is nice from the pics I see. So I do hope to achieve like something like wat I see on the websites. My hubby do not like retro scandi or quirky scandi style... So I'm trying hard to something pleasing to the eyes. Hmmm I dunno wat my natural preference, mayb u can enlighten me? Thanks.

I'm not pro enough to enlighten la... just that since you said the stuff/furniture you like or bought are like resort/country style, I thought that would be your natural preference, so you subconsciously bought what you bought even though you were aiming for Scandi style?

Comparing Scandi and resort/country style a bit, they do have some similarities, which is the common usage of wood.

Someone enlighten me too please... haha

Edited by veryboliao

I'm not pro enough to enlighten la... just that since you said the stuff/furniture you like or bought are like resort/country style, I thought that would be your natural preference, so you subconsciously bought what you bought even though you were aiming for Scandi style?

Comparing Scandi and resort/country style a bit, they do have some similarities, which is the common usage of wood.

Someone enlighten me too please... haha

U r right on the subconscious mind!!! Somehow I feel the Reno set the right backdrop. But the furnishing, deco and finishing touches will give the feel of the house.

Scandi style is really more on clean lines, and graphical prints I guess, they are also good at doing the colors.

I see many pictures from various websites i thunk i have personal preference. Like shared previously, my hubby's style and my style is quite different. If given a choice, I would love to go to all the shops adidaem recommended, sadly...very sadly... My hubby chose scanteak (all scanteak w/o even looking at air or balcony etc) somehow have to try and make it work. :~

There are some elements of Scandi design I would love to I corporate but again...hubby has strong views and hard for me to push the ideas... Like the floor lamp...I love having one, but he doesn't...

The whole dressing up the house part is really stressing me to the max... :bangwall::horse:

Thanks for the tip. I intend to try putting a tree branch in a white pr glass bottle vase or some personal stuff to add the nature or human touch... I'll upload some pics once I'm done. When I look at the pic, I feel somehow, something missing... Like very empty and cold...

Wa don't stress! Decorating should be the most fun part of Reno really. Think maybe you're trying too hard to achieve the look and style that you see in the blogs you like? My hubby has to remind me of this a lot too since I sometimes get sian when I can't do what I want with the Reno. Just have fun, choose pieces that speak to you or mean something to you about who you are or what you like - it may look cold cos it might look like a catalogue or a display from a shop - not very you or personal! Like the feel of some cafes that try too hard to achieve a cerain look, a bit pretentious. It takes time to curate a personal space that is tasteful at the same time- think that's probably what you're after? You are probably putting a lot of stress on yourself to get that look right now but that sort of thing takes time.. And it's certainly more meaningful if each item has a story to tell. jia you!

For wall art, I'd definitely look at etsy. So many talented artists! Or frame bits and snippets from your daily life - photographs, wedding memorabilia (I have a super huge poster I made from my wedding invite waiting to find a home in my house heh). And relax k, important thing is to enjoy the process... Btw there is some really awesome art from Asian countries that isn't resort like. For example when I was in hcmc I saw some really interesting art and a lot of reproductions of famous pieces. I guess that won't particularly be very scandi styled but if that's what your hubby likes.. It won't necessarily look resortish and can add interest to a room (:

Wa don't stress! Decorating should be the most fun part of Reno really. Think maybe you're trying too hard to achieve the look and style that you see in the blogs you like? My hubby has to remind me of this a lot too since I sometimes get sian when I can't do what I want with the Reno. Just have fun, choose pieces that speak to you or mean something to you about who you are or what you like - it may look cold cos it might look like a catalogue or a display from a shop - not very you or personal! Like the feel of some cafes that try too hard to achieve a cerain look, a bit pretentious. It takes time to curate a personal space that is tasteful at the same time- think that's probably what you're after? You are probably putting a lot of stress on yourself to get that look right now but that sort of thing takes time.. And it's certainly more meaningful if each item has a story to tell. jia you!

For wall art, I'd definitely look at etsy. So many talented artists! Or frame bits and snippets from your daily life - photographs, wedding memorabilia (I have a super huge poster I made from my wedding invite waiting to find a home in my house heh). And relax k, important thing is to enjoy the process... Btw there is some really awesome art from Asian countries that isn't resort like. For example when I was in hcmc I saw some really interesting art and a lot of reproductions of famous pieces. I guess that won't particularly be very scandi styled but if that's what your hubby likes.. It won't necessarily look resortish and can add interest to a room (:

Thanks a lot for your words of encrouagement Mandj.

Like previously shared, the reno set the right backdrop, but the props entering the scene can make or break the look... I'm not as talented as many forumers here who can deco their house so well. i had to look through many pics, look for inspiratation and literally had sleepless nights thinking of how to decorate the space (my hubby thinks i'm nuts) Worst is my hubby is always not around, he left the entire deco part to me...i have no one to discuss too except for Jiawei, who has to take all my non stop questions. I feel paisei bothering Jiawei too much with trivial questions.

Yes i am very stress cos like what u say i try so so hard to create what i like from the webpages. The style is so hard to achieve. The scandinavians did it so effortlessly. I've seen local spaces trying to do up the scandinavian concept, it does look pretentious, which is what i do not want. I want people to walk into the space and feel that i've done it up effortlessly...

sorry for my rants. Meantime i'm going to put up some prints that i got from this website.. i do not know if it is scandinavian enough? :unsure:

ecc1f0280ceac12a925cd6e320c48bb4.jpg

Hi, I've observed that Scandinavian wall prints can be as simple as just stripes and triangles, and really random ones like a scanned picture of their hands!

Maybe to incorporate both Scandi feel and your own touch, you can buy a canvas or wood block from Art friend, use masking tape to randomly create a pattern, and choose colours you and your husband both like and paint :) I've seem them use potato cut outs to create random prints as well.

I believe the above picture could work :)

Just for fun, I like the prints by seventytree on Etsy.

I tried putting some scandi stuff into the study room, adding the bunting flags... Hope it's not overdone.

16882583-695A-4E44-8330-E371AAA9143A-1025-0000026E178B090D.jpg

Edited by Lunareverie

Another inspirational pic...

d9d31fc1d8ae0f047b81a4e08319f84a.jpg

It is impossible to get furniture like this now for me. I'm trying hard to fight for a floor lamp, or table lamp or some simple flea art print. Gosh... Wish me luck... I hope hubby is open to ideas... :jail:

Another inspirational pic...

d9d31fc1d8ae0f047b81a4e08319f84a.jpg

It is impossible to get furniture like this now for me. I'm trying hard to fight for a floor lamp, or table lamp or some simple flea art print. Gosh... Wish me luck... I hope hubby is open to ideas... :jail:

That arm chair is pretty! If your hubby is not open to the idea of floor lamp, perhaps can add in at a later stage?

Btw, how is the general workmanship of JW? Is he more of ID or contractor in terms of the service he provides and his fees?

The chair is completed n will b placed in the mastered room.

CD80E04A-A4C7-4516-9429-68A6B0F5B694-980-0000025923B238A2.jpg

Wahh love your chair, totally gonna try this out also! Lol. Shall go hunting for some cheap rattan furniture soon (: