Tampoi Lighting Centre Sdn. Bhd

No.2,4&6 Jalan Titiwangsa 3/1, Taman Tampoi Indah 81200 JB

M1 Lighting

No. 22 Jalan Indah Satu, Taman Bukit Indah, 79100 Nusajaya JB

LED strips for mood lighting (local supplier, cheap and provide delivery):

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/MEGA-SALE-70-DISCOUNT-3528-5050/407342594

Kitchen/bathroom accessories:

Pro-Field Home & Living Sdn Bhd

5&7, Jalan Titiwangsa 3, Taman Tampoi Indah, 81200 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia.

Aldeco Living (higher quality bathroom/kitchen products)

Go to http://www.aldeco.com.my/inquires/ for their branches addresses.

Light in the box (for designer taps and faucets direct from China)

http://www.lightinthebox.com/

Curtains and blinds:

Combi roller blinds from korea

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/ROLLER-BLIND-BLACKOUT-ROMAN-VENETIAN/406118278

AA Curtains (local supplier and installer, very knowledgeable, helped me choose a correct texture for my U-shape track)

Aaron, 91006974 (say Eugene from sengkang recommend for discount)

Electrical appliances:

EJ @ AMK

Mustafa centre (some things are really cheaper! just make sure to check for warranty, as some are export sets)

Others:

King Furnishing (sofa)

Star furniture (dining table set)

Posturecare Gallery (Bed with storage frame)

IKEA (sideboard, makeup shelf, study tables and chairs - the chairs come with rubber wheels so it does not scratch my timber flooring)

Hi lancified,

many thanks for the list of where-to-get home essentials! :deal:

the kitchen sink....gonna make my way to Skudai one of these days...during my weekly petrol top-up tris.

EJ...hmm...they've been around for quite a long time...will look see there too.

Congrats on your new place.!

gonna start mine...quite likely after CNY. :notti:

For my aircon, I went with Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. 1x18k and 3x9k system 4 inverter with a 32k compressor!

I know many people would choose Starmex or toshiba/sharp/panasonic. But I have never been a branding person, I dont appreciate having a celebrity teaching u how to clean an aircon and jack up (pun intended) the prices by so much.

I have many friends who specializes in aircons and they gave me the following advice:

1) aircon gas leaks are caused SOLELY by installer. you can have the best aircon, but a newbie installer who does not know how to bend piping problem will more probably induce a leak. take into consideration that R410A gas needs a pipe that can withstand the higher pressure. if u realised, why many old aircons dont leak and last so long, one reason: they are using R22 gas, which require less pressure so pipes are less likely to leak. but R22 will be phased out in 2015, so R410A is the way to go.

2) water dripping / leaking - definitely caused by a bobo installer.

3) the 5 year warranty on compressor only applies to parts (such as the fan motor) and NOT THE CIRCUIT BOARD! Therefore any compressor that have a history of circuit board burning out, I avoid. The brand that has a hedgehog called "sonic" in its name is a major culprit. all my kakis advised against that brand, even though they have more commission if they sell that. If your circuit board fails, it will cost u around $700-$900 for a replacement.

4) Ulu brands such as york/midea, most people dont like them. However, if you are budget constrained, I highly advise u to get them. I have stayed for prolong periods for work in Malaysia and China, and have used york / midea for 3 years without any servicing. and the aircon is still cold, no leaks and no sound. function/energy saving wise - they are comparable to korean brands. FYI, york is the number 1 brand in malaysia, and midea is a top electronics brand in china.

In the end, I chose MHI for many reasons:

- more functions than all the japanese brands

- higher compressor BTU means I can turn on living room or 2 rooms at any one time and only use 50% load.

- more energy saving than mitsubishi starmex (surprise surprise! many people don't know this)

- manufacturer pushing promo, i paid $700-$800 less than what was advertised at a top aircon retailer that is yellow and has a city in its name.

- wife is home based, so my aircon is going to be turned on for at least 16-20hrs a day, I dont want a compressor that burns out quick.

There u go. This savings means I can give my wife a new vanity counter for the MBR toilet!

Hi, lancified thank for sharing the information it well written I am thinking install the starmex it I change my mind after what your advise can you please PM the price of the Mitsubishi heavy industries system 4 inverter price and where I can purchase and price for my resale flat this year as well as your contractor ID contact and the bathroom accessories infor where is the place to buy as what you mention money is difficult to earn and must well spent looking forward for your more post and advise thank :)

Edited by tarzanboy

Hi everyone,

While waiting for my wife to wake up and go collect our kitchen sink and all other toilet accessories, I thought that I should share a little on how I saved on my toilet accessories. This is no joke, my toilet accessories should have easily cost over $2k but i'm really glad that after studying and understanding how the industry work, I managed to cut all the unnecessary middle man and got them for cheap!

I have surveyed all shops in SG, from balestier stretch to jalan besar, to even those shops that my ID recommend, say got special discount... basically, it's all a major scam. I understand that in SG, rental is expensive, manpower is expensive, taxes are heavy. I also understand that businesses must earn to survive. But take a look at the prices of the things i bought:

Kitchen sink 45cm x 45cm x 20cm (this is thick metal, not those that will warp and change shape after u pour boiling water)

The best price is saw after walking balestier = SGD$599. Price that I bought it for = $210.

Kitchen faucet/tap (stainless steel, with mixer and pull out)

Best price in SG saw at jalan besar = $190. I paid $70.

Basin and tap for wife's vainity counter (basin is 50cm x 36cm, tap is 31cm high stainless steel)

We only saw the price of the basin, and we were so disgusted we don't even looked for the tap. SG price $380

My price for basin+tap+pop up drain pipe (stainless steel also!) = $150

Not to mention heaters, mirror cabinet, bidet sprays, stainless steel glass shelving for toilets, kitchen counter rails. I spent less than $700 when I could have easily exceeded $2k. I bought all my stuff from different retailers and some from online.

The items are all made overseas, but sometimes u see different brands on them even though they look the same. This is called OEM. the factory produces the design, the retailer buys them in bulk and and stamps their "italian branding" on it. If you go to balestier, u see many shops advertising made in italy/germany and all the crap. All rubbish. Do they think we were born yesterday? It's like putting a BMW logo on a proton and advertised it as made in germany.

I'll gladly share all my contacts, please PM me if you guys need them.

Hi everyone,

While waiting for my wife to wake up and go collect our kitchen sink and all other toilet accessories, I thought that I should share a little on how I saved on my toilet accessories. This is no joke, my toilet accessories should have easily cost over $2k but i'm really glad that after studying and understanding how the industry work, I managed to cut all the unnecessary middle man and got them for cheap!

I have surveyed all shops in SG, from balestier stretch to jalan besar, to even those shops that my ID recommend, say got special discount... basically, it's all a major scam. I understand that in SG, rental is expensive, manpower is expensive, taxes are heavy. I also understand that businesses must earn to survive. But take a look at the prices of the things i bought:

Kitchen sink 45cm x 45cm x 20cm (this is thick metal, not those that will warp and change shape after u pour boiling water)

ksslsr4545ss1.th.jpg

The best price is saw after walking balestier = SGD$599. Price that I bought it for = $210.

Kitchen faucet/tap (stainless steel, with mixer and pull out)

Best price in SG saw at jalan besar = $190. I paid $70.

Basin and tap for wife's vainity counter (basin is 50cm x 36cm, tap is 31cm high stainless steel)

We only saw the price of the basin, and we were so disgusted we don't even looked for the tap. SG price $380

My price for basin+tap+pop up drain pipe (stainless steel also!) = $150

Not to mention heaters, mirror cabinet, bidet sprays, stainless steel glass shelving for toilets, kitchen counter rails. I spent less than $700 when I could have easily exceeded $2k. I bought all my stuff from different retailers and some from online.

The items are all made overseas, but sometimes u see different brands on them even though they look the same. This is called OEM. the factory produces the design, the retailer buys them in bulk and and stamps their "italian branding" on it. If you go to balestier, u see many shops advertising made in italy/germany and all the crap. All rubbish. Do they think we were born yesterday? It's like putting a BMW logo on a proton and advertised it as made in germany.

I'll gladly share all my contacts, please PM me if you guys need them.

Hi, can share your contacts for the above items and also the contacts of your ID? Thanks.