Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bleucheeze

Timeline For Reno - First Timer Here, Pls Help!

Hi guys, first time homeowner here, hope to seek advice from experienced forumers here.

We will be getting our apartment in end Feb 2013, so reno can probably start in early March. I know there will be plenty of sales end of the year, if we order furniture during year end sale, is it possible to have them delivered only in March next year? Haven't buy furniture before so not sure how is the procedure/ usual timeline like...

Then again, if we were to select furniture so early, do you guys suggest that we engage a contractor/ID at about the same time? I know it may be very kiasu and early to engage contractor/ID, but wanna avoid the case of buy furniture liao then later have to alter the design/layout/colour etc just to fit the furniture.

Hope to hear your advice. Thanks in advance!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi guys, first time homeowner here, hope to seek advice from experienced forumers here.

We will be getting our apartment in end Feb 2013, so reno can probably start in early March. I know there will be plenty of sales end of the year, if we order furniture during year end sale, is it possible to have them delivered only in March next year? Haven't buy furniture before so not sure how is the procedure/ usual timeline like...

Then again, if we were to select furniture so early, do you guys suggest that we engage a contractor/ID at about the same time? I know it may be very kiasu and early to engage contractor/ID, but wanna avoid the case of buy furniture liao then later have to alter the design/layout/colour etc just to fit the furniture.

Hope to hear your advice. Thanks in advance!

Normal renovation takes about min. 6 - 8 weeks. As for furniture, usually they can keep for 3mths, electrical no need buy so early because every now and then sure got sale and new technology keep changing, usually they can keep for 1 - 2mths, usually sale items they would want you to collect earlier. The word 'SALE' can dragged for many mths, since 6 mths ago I have been seeing the same promotion going on just from different companies. I suggest you do some research first on the items you want to buy, if there's really a good deal then you might consider grabbing them but if your design not finalized yet, don't buy them because its good deal end up you spend even more time, money and effort to change the items to your favor.

Till today, I only bought mattress and rain shower because more or less they are standard. The rest I just keep a look out and wait for the 'SALE' again. Luckily I did not commit in the hobs too early because of the size of my kitchen, I can't go for 90cm hobs but only not more than 75cm.

:yamseng: enjoy the first time.

Normal renovation takes about min. 6 - 8 weeks. As for furniture, usually they can keep for 3mths, electrical no need buy so early because every now and then sure got sale and new technology keep changing, usually they can keep for 1 - 2mths, usually sale items they would want you to collect earlier. The word 'SALE' can dragged for many mths, since 6 mths ago I have been seeing the same promotion going on just from different companies. I suggest you do some research first on the items you want to buy, if there's really a good deal then you might consider grabbing them but if your design not finalized yet, don't buy them because its good deal end up you spend even more time, money and effort to change the items to your favor.

Till today, I only bought mattress and rain shower because more or less they are standard. The rest I just keep a look out and wait for the 'SALE' again. Luckily I did not commit in the hobs too early because of the size of my kitchen, I can't go for 90cm hobs but only not more than 75cm.

:yamseng: enjoy the first time.

Thanks for your tips!

Just to share what i have gone through recently...

My designer came out with a 'cosy' theme for the living, mainly beige/white/brown color...she proposed timber furniture for her design...

But my wife loves, and yes, very in love with a black/white leather sofa. Cannot blend in. She is disappointed. We then consulted Fengshui master to audit our house. He advised us to use black/white theme in our house (dunno both of them got 'pakat' or not), so end up have to ask the designer to change the design again to modern.. And now my wife happily bought the sofa set. Is a waste of time and the designer's effort..

For me, get the furniture you like first, then only decide the design them. Very simple, nice and cheap furniture is hard to come by, esp the one you like it very much. Design can change easily. Ultimately, the owners have to be comfortable.

And yeh, u can get the home appliances at a later stage, i.e. when you commence your renovation. I only started to purchase furniture and home appliances after we have finalized the design..

Anyway my personal experience is you wont really save much from those expo/mega sales. In fact, none of my furniture/home appliances got from these sales. Too crowded, and the price difference isnt that much. I prefer to visit those stores, and slowly choose what i want. I always believe those price slashed one , 80% is definitely not something good... Good thing doesnt come cheap and cheap thing doesnt come good.. hehe

Just to share what i have gone through recently...

My designer came out with a 'cosy' theme for the living, mainly beige/white/brown color...she proposed timber furniture for her design...

But my wife loves, and yes, very in love with a black/white leather sofa. Cannot blend in. She is disappointed. We then consulted Fengshui master to audit our house. He advised us to use black/white theme in our house (dunno both of them got 'pakat' or not), so end up have to ask the designer to change the design again to modern.. And now my wife happily bought the sofa set. Is a waste of time and the designer's effort..

For me, get the furniture you like first, then only decide the design them. Very simple, nice and cheap furniture is hard to come by, esp the one you like it very much. Design can change easily. Ultimately, the owners have to be comfortable.

And yeh, u can get the home appliances at a later stage, i.e. when you commence your renovation. I only started to purchase furniture and home appliances after we have finalized the design..

Anyway my personal experience is you wont really save much from those expo/mega sales. In fact, none of my furniture/home appliances got from these sales. Too crowded, and the price difference isnt that much. I prefer to visit those stores, and slowly choose what i want. I always believe those price slashed one , 80% is definitely not something good... Good thing doesnt come cheap and cheap thing doesnt come good.. hehe

I agree with you - nice furniture is hard to come by, especially if you are after a certain niche style... Some are nice but too ex!