Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tabithalee

Problem With Formica Plastic Laminate, Help!

I need some advice. My cabinets have just been done. There is glossy black laminate on the cabinet doors, but the problem is that I realized its very uneven. I can see what seems like 'sunken holes' or 'crumpled'. From an angle, it looks awful, like very old or something. Anyone knows what I'm talking about or has experienced this before?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I need some advice. My cabinets have just been done. There is glossy black laminate on the cabinet doors, but the problem is that I realized its very uneven. I can see what seems like 'sunken holes' or 'crumpled'. From an angle, it looks awful, like very old or something. Anyone knows what I'm talking about or has experienced this before?

Hi,

I can say that its common because is a glossy laminate and it is BLACK in colour,the chances of seeing this problem is high compare to

non-glossy type.UNLESS....the door used is make of MDF or Chip Board where the surface is smooth.

There are 2 major reasons why this happened.

1.Thickness of laminate used.Laminate comes in 0.7mm-1.2mm thick and if you use a 0.7mm thick laminate

its likely to have this problem.My advise is to use 1mm at least for glossy laminate.

2.The plywood used for the doors.If the surface of the plywood used is too 'ROUGH or UNEVEN' and a thin laminate is used,

it will have this problem also.(very rare carpenters will sand the surface smooth before applying laminate)

BTW.... nowadays the plywood came,the surface are not as smooth as like last time.Laminate quality is also

not as good as before.

Cheers!

Hi,

I can say that its common because is a glossy laminate and it is BLACK in colour,the chances of seeing this problem is high compare to

non-glossy type.UNLESS....the door used is make of MDF or Chip Board where the surface is smooth.

There are 2 major reasons why this happened.

1.Thickness of laminate used.Laminate comes in 0.7mm-1.2mm thick and if you use a 0.7mm thick laminate

its likely to have this problem.My advise is to use 1mm at least for glossy laminate.

2.The plywood used for the doors.If the surface of the plywood used is too 'ROUGH or UNEVEN' and a thin laminate is used,

it will have this problem also.(very rare carpenters will sand the surface smooth before applying laminate)

BTW.... nowadays the plywood came,the surface are not as smooth as like last time.Laminate quality is also

not as good as before.

Cheers!

Thanks! Your reply is most helpful! Will settle the matter with my ID who's the worst I've encountered so far!