Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bleucheeze

When Industrial Meets Mid Century Mod

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Black or white. No diff if its shoddy so it doesn't matter what color he likes. Since I did white and they can also not grout properly...

So yours is ok la huh? I agree with you... oh well :rolleyes:

So yours is ok la huh? I agree with you... oh well :rolleyes:

If u can be a contractor after this Reno! I can be a tiler! Lol I'm gg grout them myself when I'm done w the unpacking.

If u can be a contractor after this Reno! I can be a tiler! Lol I'm gg grout them myself when I'm done w the unpacking.

Oh ya, I remember you have grout that came off. Bleah.

Now u talk about this, I'm tempted to remove some of the grout myself and re-grout! Check this tutorial out.

http://homerenovations.about.com/od/tiling/ss/Remove-Tile-Grout.htm

If you managed to grout them youself, please do share how u do it with us!

Edited by bleucheeze

I really dunno... Tiling has completed quite a while ago, I don't see the tiling uncle anymore. I have asked contractor to re-do one of the floor tile cos the unevenness is not acceptable to me. As for the rest, maybe I will just live with it... sigh.

Huh, first time I heard that using 60x30 must top up. I thought 60x30 is quite common. Did you top up cos the particular tile you chose cost more psf, or it's solely for the workmanship?

eh.. yahlor. i dunno how come must charge oso. i'm using ID Note. Contractor. not ID, despite the name.

nope. i paid the topup in price already. But still got top up for "upgrade" to 60 x 30.

Z3phy,

You didn't use Alan correct? Who did you use?

Z3phy is using an ID if i remember correctly...

hey guys.. using contractor. not ID. =)

eh.. yahlor. i dunno how come must charge oso. i'm using ID Note. Contractor. not ID, despite the name.

nope. i paid the topup in price already. But still got top up for "upgrade" to 60 x 30.

hey guys.. using contractor. not ID. =)

Hi bleucheese I engaged a main contractor for my reno project except the double-glaze windows for the balcony (used one that is recommemded by a number of RenoTalk folks). You should be able to demand the contractor to rectify the tiling defects if you cant live with it?

I am happy with the overal result of my reno project and its not without issues of course . but i have learnt to be more forceful towards the end of the project and get things done up nicely . One thing I have learnt is contractors are very fond of using silicons to seal up gaps as a quick fix. I refused to accept using silicons to seal up a small gap at the corners of two other bedrooms by the laminate company, sent the worker back without fixing and came bqck few days later with a proper solution by changing a section of the laminate (took the more experienced uncle and his assistant more than two hours to fix), I also refused to accept the use of silicon by the window company to seal up the small gaps between the walls and the new windows. the more senior worker gave in and even helped me put up six curtain rods while waiting for the cement to dry.

Edited by sarah833

Hi bleucheese I engaged a main contractor for my reno project except the double-glaze windows for the balcony (used one that is recommemded by a number of RenoTalk folks). You should be able to demand the contractor to rectify the tiling defects if you cant live with it?

I am happy with the overal result of my reno project and its not without issues of course . but i have learnt to be more forceful towards the end of the project and get things done up nicely . One thing I have learnt is contractors are very fond of using silicons to seal up gaps as a quick fix. I refused to accept using silicons to seal up a small gap at the corners of two other bedrooms by the laminate company, sent the worker back without fixing and came bqck few days later with a proper solution by changing a section of the laminate (took the more experienced uncle and his assistant more than two hours to fix), I also refused to accept the use of silicon by the window company to seal up the small gaps between the walls and the new windows. the more senior worker gave in and even helped me put up six curtain rods while waiting for the cement to dry.

Interesting point about silicon usage. Is it common/ normal to apply silicon at the topof skirting where it joins the wall?

Interesting point about silicon usage. Is it common/ normal to apply silicon at the topof skirting where it joins the wall?

hmm dont think so? I used PERGO at my old,walkup apt and a german brand laminate for my current flat. didnt see any silicon being used. I will get them to redo if i see silicon being used. The window company guy gave in after I asked if he will come and change the silicon for me when it gets mouldy.

hmm dont think so? I used PERGO at my old,walkup apt and a german brand laminate for my current flat. didnt see any silicon being used. I will get them to redo if i see silicon being used. The window company guy gave in after I asked if he will come and change the silicon for me when it gets mouldy.

Mine is parquet flooring. Wonder if it's the same? I shall go back and scrutinize at the original wood skirting. The silicon part is in areas whereby carpentry were dismantled hence have to add skirting.

bleucheese have you started your carpentry work? I did a bar counter that sits in between the kitchen and the hall,. Kicked up a big fuss when I saw the carpenter used silicon to level the bar counter on the uneven ground. They could have done a more neat job by taking note of the uneven ground during construction instead of using silicon (my kiwi fren who was a profesional handy man and an architect think so too). my contractor told me its a common practice in singapore to use silicon, and she has learnt a lesson from this encounter and will explain to her clients in future.

now I have to take extra care when I mop the floor...

bleucheese have you started your carpentry work? I did a bar counter that sits in between the kitchen and the hall,. Kicked up a big fuss when I saw the carpenter used silicon to level the bar counter on the uneven ground. They could have done a more neat job by taking note of the uneven ground during construction instead of using silicon (my kiwi fren who was a profesional handy man and an architect think so too). my contractor told me its a common practice in singapore to use silicon, and she has learnt a lesson from this encounter and will explain to her clients in future.

now I have to take extra care when I mop the floor...

Eh, silicon may turn mouldy especially when it's so near your floor tiles. Really must be careful when you mop.

My island has a concrete support base with white tofu tiles on its exterior. It's done up already, now pending installation of carpentry. No issue of silicon there but the black grouting joining the floor is really ugly.

Please pardon the lack of updates, I'm getting so sian with my reno.... :bleah:

Inspired by makanology.... presenting treasures from my mum (or rather grandma)!

82B7841F-CC1C-463B-A4F2-88702B3F429C-375

1905338B-0C67-4719-89BD-E715CBE61046-375

6D61C3BD-9ADE-4F60-9A2F-E5DADEE05B13-375

I dug these out from my home. My mum is very happy to part with them as she doesn't use them at all.

I also bought some vintage plates/glasses from vintage collectors.... Will share the pix after we move in.

Another thermos to add on to my collection!

EE8B4307-F1F4-4D15-91BE-F29734EE6A14-375

If you have any vintage stuff to offload, please consider donating them to me! :notti: