Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

am new here.

we are getting our BTO in July 2015...but heard that HDB usually announce earlier collection dates.

Does it meant we will get new flat in 2014?

If so, when should we start planning reno n finding out more info?

thanks for all replies.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

words of wisdom! Appreciated! :thumbs up:

This is a money-grabbing society. And especially in the renovation industry, you will see a lot of sly underhand tactics used to milk as much money as possible out of unsuspecting consumers. To find someone CARING and RESPONSIBLE is virtually IMPOSSIBLE. It's not their house, why would they care so much? As long as they can earn money from you, they won't care whether it's good. They will only care if you complain! They may say a lot of nice things and make a lot of false promises to make you happy, but be very very careful.

My biggest advice: READ THE FORUMS so that you know which firms to STAY AWAY FROM. For all the rest of the firms where you don't see any negative posts, do get quotations. Some more advice:

1) In the quotation, be as SPECIFIC as possible. Even down to the detail of the type of paint used, the thickness of glass slabs, the type of wood material, the type of metal. After you get quotations, you should post them online and get some comments from the rest of the forumers.

2) During contract, please ensure that you only need to pay money in stages. And VERY IMPORTANTLY, make sure that you don't overpay at each stage. And you must keep AT LEAST 10% of final payment to be paid only when you are truly satisfied with everything in the house.

3) Please buy your own lightings and bathroom accessories. Read up the forums to know why.

4) Please source for your own electrician, and whatever service that is not included in the original deal. Many people don't mind paying a bit more so that everything is settled through one party, but it's not just about the money. It's about the quality of work. If you go with the ID's recommended electrician, you end up paying A LOT MORE (up to double the price), and risk getting poor quality work done.

5) Don't over-trust your ID, even if he is from a big, reputable firm. Remember this: the truly good people who happen to step into the industry will sooner or later come to know all the evils in the industry. And most of the time, the truly good people quit because they cannot bear to continue fleecing unsuspecting customers. Most of the experienced people in the industry are those who have a way with words, those who know how to sweet-talk customers into paying more, and those who know how to get away with giving the cheapest/poorest quality work while making customers pay high prices.

6) Read up on your legal rights as a paying consumer. Renovation is a very costly expense, and you should get to know what you can do in the event that you meet a bad ID.

Good luck with your renovation :)

Adding on:

• Avoid firms that offer tons of freebies, ugly truth but there is no free lunch in the world. :P Most probably the amount will be marked-up somewhere.....
  • Avoid firms that quote you a very low price, most probably what you'll be getting will be monkeys since you're paying peanuts.
  • If you are able to, it is advisable to shortlist and visit the company personally. If it's big enough and have their own carpentry etc, it's unlikely that they'll run away with your 20k.
  • Don't shortlist ID firms because of the quotation they give, most of them have 'hidden charges' which you will only see once you signed the contract :P

Summary: Know what you want, visit the shortlisted IDs for an exact quotation instead of expecting a 'Estimated' quotation based in email/phone conversations.

If budget is a problem, you may want to get rid of some 'optional' requirements that you can probably do it yourself. (Painting etc)

Thus if your ID is quoting you 20k for a 40k job, and throwing in freebies / tons of FOC items, RUN.

Just a personal thought, :P

Hi guys, need an advise here. With a budget of $30k, is it possible to do up resale 4 rm flat. Kitchen, 2 toilets, window grill, plastering, rewiring, l-box, polishing of marble flooring for living and all bedrooms and change all the doors. Hope some1 can enlighten me. Thanks

Just sth to share. I think its very difficult to tell you whether 30k is able to do up what you listed on top as it involves different materials and measurements and only upon seeing the floor plan and understanding your requirements then only your ID is able to quote you. because thats what i asked previously when i was renovating my house and realised that they cannot quote me an estimation because they need to understand my requirements first.

Anw, I have my house done up already and my initial quotation from an ID firm was also around 30K so i source around with several ID firms and the best I got was around 25k along with some freebies. You should try calling my ID (mich yip) from K*l**d* spamming ID firm interior for comparative rates as my cousin was the one who recommended me to her. Alternatively, can source around for more ID firm and ask them to match your rates.

That's some good advice from godchuanz. Thanks for sharing with us here.

We are also due to get our house sometime this year or first 1/4 of next year and toying with idea of engaging a ID or contractor

Having talked to some IDs we realised some of them try to "smoke" us with some of their words especially those who sell their services in bulk package pricing.. I think we rather go with those who have an itemised quotation where the material, how many foot etc is being listed..

That being said, what do you all think when an ID tells you that he/she has been in the company for only 6 months and counting .. or even like 2 yrs of experience in this field?

Would you all consider this to be a factor? Or will you all just look at purely the design and chemistry with the person?

That's some good advice from godchuanz. Thanks for sharing with us here.

We are also due to get our house sometime this year or first 1/4 of next year and toying with idea of engaging a ID or contractor

Having talked to some IDs we realised some of them try to "smoke" us with some of their words especially those who sell their services in bulk package pricing.. I think we rather go with those who have an itemised quotation where the material, how many foot etc is being listed..

That being said, what do you all think when an ID tells you that he/she has been in the company for only 6 months and counting .. or even like 2 yrs of experience in this field?

Would you all consider this to be a factor? Or will you all just look at purely the design and chemistry with the person?

i would advise you engage everything urself. it will be the cheapest. but,if u are not free, engage a contractor, where they will earn bits from u. IDs, to me, are just well-dressed contractors. they do almost the same work as contractors. (but i'm not suggesting all IDs are bad).ID charge a high premium because they can design something u want. however, now, it is very difficult to differentiate between an ID and a contractor. perhaps, the name of the company can give some clues (e.g. XYZ contractor services, and XYZ interior design)

secondly, suggest u don't go for those package (e.g.$9888 for 4 rm flat etc). all these has lots of hidden charges!! talk to one in depth and u will know why..

thirdly, the length in the industry is a factor of how 'trustworthy' that company is. a company can survive 20+ yrs obviously is safer than a 1 yr old company, i terms of experience and 'trust'. also, what matters is whether they are willing to serve u or not. by this, i means, they will answer ur call 95% of the time u call them. don't just go for cheap deals, and later encounter ID or contractors that quarrels with u over trivial matters.

and finally, of cos, having chemistry with ur ID contractor is the best. cos easier to facilitate work done, and can negotiate for more discounts!!

This is a money-grabbing society. And especially in the renovation industry, you will see a lot of sly underhand tactics used to milk as much money as possible out of unsuspecting consumers. To find someone CARING and RESPONSIBLE is virtually IMPOSSIBLE. It's not their house, why would they care so much? As long as they can earn money from you, they won't care whether it's good. They will only care if you complain! They may say a lot of nice things and make a lot of false promises to make you happy, but be very very careful.

My biggest advice: READ THE FORUMS so that you know which firms to STAY AWAY FROM. For all the rest of the firms where you don't see any negative posts, do get quotations. Some more advice:

1) In the quotation, be as SPECIFIC as possible. Even down to the detail of the type of paint used, the thickness of glass slabs, the type of wood material, the type of metal. After you get quotations, you should post them online and get some comments from the rest of the forumers.

2) During contract, please ensure that you only need to pay money in stages. And VERY IMPORTANTLY, make sure that you don't overpay at each stage. And you must keep AT LEAST 10% of final payment to be paid only when you are truly satisfied with everything in the house.

3) Please buy your own lightings and bathroom accessories. Read up the forums to know why.

4) Please source for your own electrician, and whatever service that is not included in the original deal. Many people don't mind paying a bit more so that everything is settled through one party, but it's not just about the money. It's about the quality of work. If you go with the ID's recommended electrician, you end up paying A LOT MORE (up to double the price), and risk getting poor quality work done.

5) Don't over-trust your ID, even if he is from a big, reputable firm. Remember this: the truly good people who happen to step into the industry will sooner or later come to know all the evils in the industry. And most of the time, the truly good people quit because they cannot bear to continue fleecing unsuspecting customers. Most of the experienced people in the industry are those who have a way with words, those who know how to sweet-talk customers into paying more, and those who know how to get away with giving the cheapest/poorest quality work while making customers pay high prices.

6) Read up on your legal rights as a paying consumer. Renovation is a very costly expense, and you should get to know what you can do in the event that you meet a bad ID.

Good luck with your renovation smile.gif

New here in this forum! Fantastic advise! Thanks~

once you decide on a certain ID company, pls research online to see if they have any bad reviews. Those without review one you also need to be aware.. Haha.. No choice, this is life.. everyone want to earn, end up too many rubbish company been setup just to earn...

I believe if you all notice, near your neighbourhood, got a time where there is alot of ID companies been set up, those without substance de, after few months close down already..

As most ppl advise here, check a few companies their prices first, best is ask them show you the quality of product you getting..

Good luck in sourcing..

i don't quite agree with you, based on my view, the IDs firm were not grabbing money by selling you a product such as insurance, house or car by after sharing their service & prices, once you are convinced you buy it, they get their commission and will leave you to their after-sales-service.

The IDs firm have a long way to go after convincing you, they need to build what ever that have discussed accordingly, they need to made sure your additional request to be well taking care of before you are happy to clear their payment so that is when they can get their commission. Renovation is a tough job compare to the rest that i have mentioned, i hope i did not scare away those that in mid of deciding which jobs to go for.

i am sure any of the new ID when they first renovating a house, they will surely pay lot of attention to ensure the house are well taken care of just like their own baby, but after getting more & more projects, the way of view started to change that we call them human. Nevertheless, by gathering more experience, i'm sure they will learn to care how to handle a house better than the first one that we don't denied, even if he has lost his initiate prospect but he will not loose his experience.

If you are so care about the IDs firm earning your money, then you should not go shopping ever, cause they price to earn your money, They will not care if you do not want to buy their products, and again... they are called as human.

"5) Don't over-trust your ID, even if he is from a big, reputable firm. Remember this: the truly good people who happen to step into the industry will sooner or later come to know all the evils in the industry. And most of the time, the truly good people quit because they cannot bear to continue fleecing unsuspecting customers. Most of the experienced people in the industry are those who have a way with words, those who know how to sweet-talk customers into paying more, and those who know how to get away with giving the cheapest/poorest quality work while making customers pay high prices."

i'm not sure how you get this information from, but sorry, there is NO evils in this industry, but if there is a evils here, there are lot more in any others trade, i am taking about your work place too Yes Thank you.

Please not all IDs firm fleecing unsuspecting customers, you may list out a few you had in mind but NOT ALL IDs firm are like that, atlease only very minimum IDs firm will fleecing customes, most of us- WILL NOT, yes sorry if you met one yourself you count yourself unlucky, but not everyone are unlucky.

i am one of the experience one in the industry who have a way with words, joke with customers but i do not know how to sweet talk to made my customer pay more, pardon me we are not cosmetic sales girl, we are not BMW salesman, we are not Club member salesman, we are one that is willing to spend afford to ensure the house are well taking care of according to agreeable contract, that's who we are. i hoped there is no easy way out to write you a L box but give a cornice that kind of situation, you will have to check every single item listed in your quotation, ask your ID to explain to you in detail, take out the items that you don't feel comfortable and source for other player, Sign your name only when you are very satisfy with the contract you are signing, otherwise please DO NOT DO SO, same there otherwise, don't buy taiwan pearl mike if you think it is poison!

Hope the above helps to clear IDs pants.

i don't quite agree with you, based on my view, the IDs firm were not grabbing money by selling you a product such as insurance, house or car by after sharing their service & prices, once you are convinced you buy it, they get their commission and will leave you to their after-sales-service.

The IDs firm have a long way to go after convincing you, they need to build what ever that have discussed accordingly, they need to made sure your additional request to be well taking care of before you are happy to clear their payment so that is when they can get their commission. Renovation is a tough job compare to the rest that i have mentioned, i hope i did not scare away those that in mid of deciding which jobs to go for.

i am sure any of the new ID when they first renovating a house, they will surely pay lot of attention to ensure the house are well taken care of just like their own baby, but after getting more & more projects, the way of view started to change that we call them human. Nevertheless, by gathering more experience, i'm sure they will learn to care how to handle a house better than the first one that we don't denied, even if he has lost his initiate prospect but he will not loose his experience.

If you are so care about the IDs firm earning your money, then you should not go shopping ever, cause they price to earn your money, They will not care if you do not want to buy their products, and again... they are called as human.

"5) Don't over-trust your ID, even if he is from a big, reputable firm. Remember this: the truly good people who happen to step into the industry will sooner or later come to know all the evils in the industry. And most of the time, the truly good people quit because they cannot bear to continue fleecing unsuspecting customers. Most of the experienced people in the industry are those who have a way with words, those who know how to sweet-talk customers into paying more, and those who know how to get away with giving the cheapest/poorest quality work while making customers pay high prices."

i'm not sure how you get this information from, but sorry, there is NO evils in this industry, but if there is a evils here, there are lot more in any others trade, i am taking about your work place too Yes Thank you.

Please not all IDs firm fleecing unsuspecting customers, you may list out a few you had in mind but NOT ALL IDs firm are like that, atlease only very minimum IDs firm will fleecing customes, most of us- WILL NOT, yes sorry if you met one yourself you count yourself unlucky, but not everyone are unlucky.

i am one of the experience one in the industry who have a way with words, joke with customers but i do not know how to sweet talk to made my customer pay more, pardon me we are not cosmetic sales girl, we are not BMW salesman, we are not Club member salesman, we are one that is willing to spend afford to ensure the house are well taking care of according to agreeable contract, that's who we are. i hoped there is no easy way out to write you a L box but give a cornice that kind of situation, you will have to check every single item listed in your quotation, ask your ID to explain to you in detail, take out the items that you don't feel comfortable and source for other player, Sign your name only when you are very satisfy with the contract you are signing, otherwise please DO NOT DO SO, same there otherwise, don't buy taiwan pearl mike if you think it is poison!

Hope the above helps to clear IDs pants.

A view from the "other" side.. interesting read!!

I tend to agree though. Whoever we met in our journey for anything, largely depends on luck...karma, perhaps? LOL!!