reload72

The Ceiling Fan Debate

Does it mean approved by SPRING = Can be used by HDB

or is there a seperate process to it?

Cause I thought approved by Spring = can be used in Singapore

don't think they are the same

you got to check with hdb regarding the ceiling fan requirements :jawdrop:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I'd been to Elmark showroom many times and was going to buy ceiling fans from them. But, heard about their bad after sales service in this forum. When I was there, I also overheard some disput conversation with their customers on the phone. Their attitude wasn't good.

Later, I got to know Amasco and Franco. Was told Amasco remote controls are more reliable and durable than Elmark and Franco. Amasco remote control design is better, too. Elmark has more different designs of ceiling fans than Amasco.

I bought 5 ceiling fans from Amasco. I must say I'm very happy with thier after sales service. The serviceman was poliet. They came back 3 times to fix some minor problems within 3 months, never complaint or charged us. Sometime it's our fault.

Joyce, the sales representitive is very friendly and good at keeping her promise. When she said she would call you back, she would do it.

http://www.amasco.com.sg/amasco/displayCat...hp?categoryID=1

I also only recently fixed up my 7 Amasco ceiling fan with light kit. Cheers!

what model did u get?? how much and where u got it from..

seems that we stay in the same neighbourhood

what model did u get?? how much and where u got it from..

seems that we stay in the same neighbourhood

Think a picture speaks a thousand words :dribble:

ceilingfan_living.jpg

$150 (exclude installation but include light kits). From Palace of Lights. Happy with the fan so far but the light bulb they give is the non-branded energy saving. Think cheapo one...kekeke...

Just do it, the pros outweight the cons. Our kind of weather with unpredicatable wind changes and confine space, I say just install the ceiling fans.

My mistake...

Bought 3 white crestar fans, 2 with 5 light bulbs, 1 with 1 round light. all 48", aluminum 5 blades. Total $890.

Didn't get the remote control ones cos was told by salesman that it spoils easily and to repair, cost too much.

Didn't move the ceiling fan to center of room cos I thought to spend extra $50 or so is too expensive to adjust from the source.

Mistake: After installation, realised the fans are very low, I can reach and touch the lights and blades. Why? Because of platforms in the rooms.

Now I have celing fans tat I find too low, ugly strings, and not center of the room.

Who to blame but myself?!!! :furious:

The only consolation that I have is that the fans are white, so it's not too obvious. Maybe on the other end, should have them black, so no one would raise their hands.

Morale of story: Don't because want to save some $$$, end up doing stupid things like this. Initial idea was light box with fans (wo lightkit) but it's 4 times more ex to do light box. So I thought, be practical and cut cost, just get lights with fans, got light, got wind, not rocket science mah, end up like this.

Dear friends,

I am trying very hard to visualise a design house concept that can 'take' a ceiling fan...

I am very pro logic type - aka, I will most likely fix one in my new place, just that I don't wanna come home seeing ,'wha kau... so obiang', like all SG'ers, I want everything - look good, price reasonable and get to cool the home... hehe.

Any kind friends who would be so kind to post a couple of photos showing your home with the fan installed. You know what they say, a pix says a million words....

Thanks guys.

Keltong have it. Applefreak has it also. I think there are quite a no. of forummers having them too, but offhand I can't remember who else. :) I have but forgot to take pics @ the shop. :bangwall:

Go to some fan shops to look-see. Royal Fanco, then Tai Yong (across the rd from RF), and some lighting shops. Black fans below white ceilings are chio manz!!

I got a very basic KDK in my place so far no one has said its obiang. All said this is smart move in this weather...you be amaze how usefull it is at noon when your house gets hit by noon sun or when its one of those day its hot and humid

Get that fan that is close up but when you turn on it opens up like flower blooming..thats nice...and like skywolf says black fans are the in thing now..really nice

would like to ask a question as dun think ive seen any answers to it..

i have a false ceiling and have gotten my contractor to add a plank for the ceiling fan (42"). is this strong enough? will the false ceiling crack?

like many of the people here, i considered pretty long if i should have a ceiling fan as my home design's the modern and sleek look (with mostly black, silver and tones of brown through-out). but given this terrible climate that we're living in, have decided that ceiling fan is a MUST. had wanted to get a 56" initially, but had to change to a 42" cause my living's not big and there's a cuckoo beam near the area.

so, i'll be having a silver fan as my square downlights are those with silver brims

Initially we wanted false ceilings for living rm... but after we decided to get ceiling fans, we figured tt the false ceiling may not be able to take the weight. And plus HDB's height requirement, in the end we forgo the false ceiling for l-box instead... it's up to individual though... i didnt want to put up my hand and risk ganna 'chop' by the moving fan when standing. :P

oh no, then has anyone installed a ceiling fan on their false ceiling? my ceiling's quite high, so im not worried about getting my hand 'chopped off' if i raise it when standing though im quite tall. haha.. am only worried about the weight issue cause do not want the false ceiling to crack after renovating the plc so nicely -esp as u guys know how costly reno works are :(

my contractor has oreadi added on the wooden plank on the false ceiling. so now, i only need to confirm with the shop on installation date and colour (wanted silver initially, but after seeing the white fans of forummers here, find it quite nice.. but my downlights are those with silver brims, so am still thinking if white fan will be abit 'off' :bleah:).

think some forummers actually get the worker to install the fan on the original ceiling and then 'wrap' the false ceiling around it

this is one of the best way to ensure that the fan don't come crashing down :notti:

I am very pro logic type - aka, I will most likely fix one in my new place, just that I don't wanna come home seeing ,'wha kau... so obiang', like all SG'ers, I want everything - look good, price reasonable and get to cool the home... hehe.

Any kind friends who would be so kind to post a couple of photos showing your home with the fan installed. You know what they say, a pix says a million words....

I learnt something interesting from the fan people and ID. If you don't want your fan to be noticed, buy plain white fans without lights and make sure your ceiling is WHITE too. In this way, it's not obvious. If you want it as part of design of house, then by all means, get the fancy ones.

My home is not ready yet (only paint, lights and false ceilings up) but here are pictures of a simple white fan. I have the exact fan in living room and MBR. Will post more (if anyone's interested) when everything's in!

Living room

livingroom_combine.jpg

livingrm_lights.jpg

MBR

master_rm.jpg

my contractor keeps telling me that the wooden plank they've added is strong enough for the ceiling fan. m just worried that it is otherwise and our heads will get chopped off if the fan comes crashing down 8|

oh no applefreak, my false ceiling's oreadi up! is too late.. it's a good idea, but what if the fan breaks down or if i need to change it? they'll hv to cut a hole on the false ceiling and patch it back?

ene, noticed your fan's mounted on the false ceiling? is it sturdy and does the fan seem 'shaky' when u switch it on? did your contractor add a plank on the false ceiling to provide support? btw, i can't see clearly from your pic, are your downlights with silver brims as well? mine's also square with silver brims! btw, is good advise regarding the white fan to make it less obvious! my ceiling's white and im now leaning more towards a white fan! :notti: