Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
reload72

The Ceiling Fan Debate

ene, noticed your fan's mounted on the false ceiling? is it sturdy and does the fan seem 'shaky' when u switch it on? did your contractor add a plank on the false ceiling to provide support? btw, i can't see clearly from your pic, are your downlights with silver brims as well? mine's also square with silver brims! btw, is good advise regarding the white fan to make it less obvious! my ceiling's white and im now leaning more towards a white fan!

Hi socks! My place is not a HDB flat so the fans are actually mounted on an actual ceiling (not false ceiling). When I turn it on at full blast, it doesn't shake but it's super noisy! So I'm a bit concerned about that. My fiance thinks that it's because the house is empty so noise is amplified. Am keeping my fingers crossed that it'd be ok once all the furniture and stuff comes in. If not, I'd be super irritated and end up turning on the aircon which defeats the whole purpose of fans in the first place :bleah:

My downlights are with white rims. Our house theme is generally white so we went with the white ones.

Yes yes, go for plain white ones if you don't want your fan to stand out. I wanted a black fan for my MBR to match my black chandelier but my ID was quite horrified ;) Hehe.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi socks! My place is not a HDB flat so the fans are actually mounted on an actual ceiling (not false ceiling). When I turn it on at full blast, it doesn't shake but it's super noisy! So I'm a bit concerned about that. My fiance thinks that it's because the house is empty so noise is amplified. Am keeping my fingers crossed that it'd be ok once all the furniture and stuff comes in. If not, I'd be super irritated and end up turning on the aircon which defeats the whole purpose of fans in the first place :bleah:

My downlights are with white rims. Our house theme is generally white so we went with the white ones.

Yes yes, go for plain white ones if you don't want your fan to stand out. I wanted a black fan for my MBR to match my black chandelier but my ID was quite horrified ;) Hehe.

Hi ene.. my place is not a hdb either. but my false ceiling's already up! they are infact installing the downlights now. so i supposed i have no choice but to have the fan mounted on the false ceiling, hope the plank is really strong enough :(

oh, i hope if i change the fan to a white one, it won't clash with the silver downlights. have realised that there are so many 'should haves' and 'if onlys' after making some reno decisions or purchases :bangwall:.. can't wait for the whole nightmare to be over

yup, i think probably cos your house is still empty, hence there's no furniture, curtains etc to 'absorb' the noise. once you have all the stuff in place, it should help. btw, are you going to have a fan in your MBR afterall? :P

oh ene, juz realised you said you've got exact white fan in MBR. :P

think i'll most probably get white. thanks for sharing!

I believe the false ceiling should be able to withstand the weight of the fan. My current room (my parents' house) has a ceiling fan mounted on a false ceiling as well and not to scare you but after 10 years (long time!), there are cracks on the 4 directions, meaning, starting from the fan, there is a crack in FOUR directions. But this is after 10 YEARS. I always joke to my fiance that one day, the fan will come crashing down on me when I'm asleep :dancingqueen:

Don't worry too much about the white fans and silver downlights. They're both pretty neutral so I'm sure they'd match. As my colleagues advise me, when we move in, we'd probably never ever notice them again! :notti:

Yes, I do have the same fan in both living room and MBR. Haven't been able to turn on the one in the living room because it's not connected but I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the sound will be less obvious once my furniture and everything else is in the MBR.

ene, aren't u glad you're moving out soon? so u no longer need to worry about the fan crashing down on u :D

yup, 10yrs is an ok time-frame for the life-span of the false ceiling.

guess im so 'anal' about matching the downlights and fan cause it's like a new project. haha.. like you've said, once we move in, after the initial first few weeks, we'll probably not even notice the fan's existence!

oh ya, try not to have too many reflective/metallic surfaces in your MBR. have read in a home&decor mag article on minimising noise level that such surfaces reflect noise. things like wallpaper, cushions, upholstery, wood etc helps to absorb noise :)

oh ya, try not to have too many reflective/metallic surfaces in your MBR. have read in a home&decor mag article on minimising noise level that such surfaces reflect noise. things like wallpaper, cushions, upholstery, wood etc helps to absorb noise :)

Thanks for the tip! I don't have any reflective/metallic stuff in the MBR except for erm, the bay windows?! Haha. Like I said, am keeping my fingers tightly crossed that the whirring noise will become less noticeable once everything comes in!

So have you decided on your fan colour/design?

hahah.. there's not much u can do about the bay windows! but the curtains/blinds should help :)

talking about my fan, i've originally ordered a silver 56" from a shop in balestier. realised later from contractor that it's too big as there's a cuckoo beam near the area, so ive got to change it to a 42". went down to the shop happily after ive decided that i'll get a white fan. however, the only white fan they've got in 42" is a elmark 5 blade fan. i was hoping that i can get somethg sleeker and with 3 blades only. was so disappointed

and the thing is that ive bought all my downlights and lightings, so i can't exchange for other items! :(

after being so jaded by all these reno issues/woes, i decided to juz take the only option avail :bangwall:

guys, remember if you have full height wardrobe in ur bedrooms, to factor in the available ceiling space with opened cabinet doors while choosing blade lengths... just a tip :)

guys, remember if you have full height wardrobe in ur bedrooms, to factor in the available ceiling space with opened cabinet doors while choosing blade lengths... just a tip :)

But that would depend on the type of wardrobe. If you have sliding doors on your wardrobe, this won't be a problem then :)

hahah.. there's not much u can do about the bay windows! but the curtains/blinds should help

talking about my fan, i've originally ordered a silver 56" from a shop in balestier. realised later from contractor that it's too big as there's a cuckoo beam near the area, so ive got to change it to a 42". went down to the shop happily after ive decided that i'll get a white fan. however, the only white fan they've got in 42" is a elmark 5 blade fan. i was hoping that i can get somethg sleeker and with 3 blades only. was so disappointed

and the thing is that ive bought all my downlights and lightings, so i can't exchange for other items!

after being so jaded by all these reno issues/woes, i decided to juz take the only option avail

Oh dear, sorry to hear that. But I know what you mean. It'd come to a point when you're so tired of all the renos, you'd just make snap decisions just to complete the process! I know I'm approaching that mode now. Ha. Am sure the one you chose in the end would be fine so don't stress over it.

hi, i just bought a crestar 48" ceiling fan......... It was recommended by the salesperson who serve us. He say that this brand is more powerful than the other brands like amasco,elmark and he is also using it too. Did anyone install this brand of ceiling fan? Any comments on the poer of it? Thanks in advance!

My ceiling fan is finally up. I really like this fan! The 54" blades are a transparent arcylic material and it looks resort-tish yet modern. According to the shop, this is the latest model and definitely look better than the other wooden or metal blades fan I've seen so far

I cant turn it on yet cos the wiring to the regulator is not done. It will be wired only after my carpentry is up since the regulator is going to be mounted on the side of the shoe cabinet. So I have no comments on the wind speed yet.

P1040291_resized.jpg

P1040290_resized.jpg

Hi guys, back to the topic on the SYCAMORE fan. cant find a suitable design for our modern looking living room, decided to drop by Elmark to see the sycamore.

was told by the lady that all their Sycamore fans has 'motor from UK, fan put together in Taiwan'

Display piece seemed to have below average finishing, very dissapointed, because was there to buy 2.

retailing for 1388. 30% can be given.

i remember the owner of the Sycamore thread says that his fan supposed to come from the Aust factory direct.

Can someone clarify this? has Elmark made a replica, and sell it at the priginal price? or is the original Made in Taiwan?

nonetheless, i am emailing the sycamore makers for more information.

Hi guys, back to the topic on the SYCAMORE fan. cant find a suitable design for our modern looking living room, decided to drop by Elmark to see the sycamore.

was told by the lady that all their Sycamore fans has 'motor from UK, fan put together in Taiwan'

Display piece seemed to have below average finishing, very dissapointed, because was there to buy 2.

retailing for 1388. 30% can be given.

i remember the owner of the Sycamore thread says that his fan supposed to come from the Aust factory direct.

Can someone clarify this? has Elmark made a replica, and sell it at the priginal price? or is the original Made in Taiwan?

nonetheless, i am emailing the sycamore makers for more information.

Hi newhouse,

any updates from sycamore makers?

:) KK

i think this one looks clean n nice n cheap =p

LMD15GM.jpg

i got this in matte silver :dancingqueen:

this colour looks darker in actual but is really nice if u wan ur fan to stand out! (was so tempted to buy this but HTB says it's too outstanding)

wind quite strong. or maybe is cos my livin rm is small. (sales lady says the motor is industrial type so is strong but a little bit noisy. but tot wat the heck....on tv, open window, will cover the noise liao)