Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
rolex

Open Net In Landed

Hi all folks,

Is doing A&A currently and thinking to install the open net fibre in my house. Would like to seek those who are already using the broadband fibre in your home for some advice. The open net guys told me that installing the termination point at my level 1 tv console area might result in weak signals for places like level 3. He told me to install in my storeroom which then I can run LAN points to level 2 and 3 so that I will not have signal problems. Problem is I have trouble running the wires up due to the hacking job that will be involved. Is it true that the signal is really weak if the termination point is at level 1? Would appreciate any advices from users.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi all folks,

Is doing A&A currently and thinking to install the open net fibre in my house. Would like to seek those who are already using the broadband fibre in your home for some advice. The open net guys told me that installing the termination point at my level 1 tv console area might result in weak signals for places like level 3. He told me to install in my storeroom which then I can run LAN points to level 2 and 3 so that I will not have signal problems. Problem is I have trouble running the wires up due to the hacking job that will be involved. Is it true that the signal is really weak if the termination point is at level 1? Would appreciate any advices from users.

Just did my opennet fibre in my terrace house this June.

Just get opennet to install the fibre connection to your TV console area. You may need to liaise with your contractor as the fibre will come in from the outside (via the telephone line pipe) and terminate it (first termination point) somewhere outside your patio area. They will then lay another cable from that termination point into your house. If you are re-doing your floor, your electrical contractor can lay a pipe with a string inside and then the floor contractor will overlay the floor tile over it. The Opennet people will then pull the fibre to your tv console area via that string and this will eliminate the ugly conduit along the wall.

You will have to subscribe the telco service for internet and they will come with wireless. If you need to reach your upper floors or anywhere obscure, you can use powerline technology to transmit the internet traffic to the rooms. Alternative, you can use wireless repeaters to do it. You can check out Aztech or D-link which have products which can do it easily.

You should not use LAN cables anymore because over time (5-8 years later), you will have a big issue replacing these cables. However, with these wireless technology, you can just replace these appliances.

You can check out this link for a better idea.

http://www.aztech.com/AztechHomePlugBrochure2012.pdf

Good luck.

Wireless solution will never be as good as LAN cables in terms of speed, security, bandwidth and reliability. The reason why you would go for homeplugs is because you have no other choice. Laying concealed LAN cables may require too much hacking or you don't want to have ugly trunking running along your walls or you prefer to save money in not laying cables.

Edited by Zdog

U can use moca network on your existing SCV cables to extend network coverage to all rooms which have SCV outlets.

I am running 2 Mio set top boxes on level 1 and 3 which doesn't have network socket outlets.

U can use moca network on your existing SCV cables to extend network coverage to all rooms which have SCV outlets.

I am running 2 Mio set top boxes on level 1 and 3 which doesn't have network socket outlets.

Where can we buy moca equipment in Singapore? Last I researched can only get them from eBay and ship in from USA. This is quite costly

Where can we buy moca equipment in Singapore? Last I researched can only get them from eBay and ship in from USA. This is quite costly

no way to buy in SG. all from USA. I shipped in 4 sets from States, serving me well, using them for MioTV set top boxes

no way to buy in SG. all from USA. I shipped in 4 sets from States, serving me well, using them for MioTV set top boxes

Hi GMC, can you advice at which website did you purchase the MOCA network systems, Care to share the models or website. Thank you.

Hi GMC, can you advice at which website did you purchase the MOCA network systems, Care to share the models or website. Thank you.

only source is ebay. I personally uses ActionTec MI424WR. have fun configuring and installing.

Hi all,

I will be renovating a old landed soon and the previous owner has turned down the opennet installation...

Just like to ask landed owners here where does the cables comes in from? And how to hide the cables...

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Twinsen

Hi all,

I will be renovating a old landed soon and the previous owner has turned down the opennet installation...

Just like to ask landed owners here where does the cables comes in from? And how to hide the cables...

Thanks in advance!

For mine, it comes in the same under-ground pipes as the phone line. At least that is for mine as I am also rebuilding my place also.

:sport-smiley-004:

HI Twinsen & eaglef18

Have you renovated your place ? Can you share how did you resolve the cables for fibre optics?

Also, did you pay for open net to come to lay the cables etc ?

Thanks in advance..

Open Net just came to install today finally, free! Took less than 45min with my builder supervisor supervising, refused to pay my builder $500 to hasten up the connection 2yr ago. They open up the public cable on the road, pull the cable to my meter box. Then pull the cable to my DB box at carporch where my modem is currently located. Nice and clean, didn't even have to enter my indoor area. My house is wired with LAN cables in every room, living room and family area (network storage and printer)

Open Net just came to install today finally, free! Took less than 45min with my builder supervisor supervising, refused to pay my builder $500 to hasten up the connection 2yr ago. They open up the public cable on the road, pull the cable to my meter box. Then pull the cable to my DB box at carporch where my modem is currently located. Nice and clean, didn't even have to enter my indoor area. My house is wired with LAN cables in every room, living room and family area (network storage and printer)

How do you get it free? I called open net as the previous owner didnt install it during the free period, when the whole estate was being done. My argument was that i just bought over this house, and was not the one who ignored them.

This cut no ice, and they flatly refused. Wanted to charge me the standard fees, close to $500!!

Oh. I wrote in to ask to defer my installation in 2009 coz i knew i was going to demolish it so no point to do it first. Had email records filed nicely and guess what, they are so black and white. If i didn't kept my emails properly, they will make me pay. I think it's $450-500.

Actually now that i think of it, quite ridiculous leh. they open up the public hole in the road, bring a staircase in, connect the wire, pull the string in my lead-in-pipe, pull another string to connect to my DB box less than 45min charge $500. Means $500/hr job for 3 ahnehs that cannot speak proper english to do the job.

Honestly, if you have the option now when you are renovating your place, run Lan cables.

The speed diff is very significant and wif in landed really is horrible.

I am in a 2 storey landed which i consider small, OpenNet connected behind my TV console, hidden in a small storage compartment.

I complained to starhub and their answer which i have no doubt, was the hardware that was giving issues. So i went out and bought top of the range Wifi router for close to 400 bux and thought it would fix it, but it didn't.

i have crap speed and wifi reception in my bedroom on the second floor. Am thinking of converting my old router into a repeater but i have no idea hour to do it. Does anyone know?