Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
rolex

Open Net In Landed

I am in the process of renovating my whole house, existing we had open net fibre cable, starhub cable and telephone line installed.

According to my builder we need to contact opennet, singtel and starhub to reconnect the cable they cannot connect back for us how true is this?

My question is:

Do we still need to run starhub cable on whole house will it be replace with something else in near future?

Do we still need to run telephone line to every room and hall?

I will be running whole house with lan cable so can I without running starhub cable still able to watch their programme, how many lan point should each room need?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Honestly, if you have the option now when you are renovating your place, run Lan cables.

The speed diff is very significant and wif in landed really is horrible.

I am in a 2 storey landed which i consider small, OpenNet connected behind my TV console, hidden in a small storage compartment.

I complained to starhub and their answer which i have no doubt, was the hardware that was giving issues. So i went out and bought top of the range Wifi router for close to 400 bux and thought it would fix it, but it didn't.

i have crap speed and wifi reception in my bedroom on the second floor. Am thinking of converting my old router into a repeater but i have no idea hour to do it. Does anyone know?

I wouldn't advise home owners to install LAN cables unless you have walls and floors which are easily removable/collapsible. Cables have a limited shelf life - advisable to change every 5 years - so unless you are willing to rip up your walls every 5 or so years...

You need a wifi repeater - you don't even need to spend any money if you have an old wireless router.

What you need to do is install a new firmware into your old router - a DD-WRT is good, there is also OPENWRT and Tomato - use this excellent guide with detailed instructions: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-extend-your-wi-fi-network-with-an-old-router-915783308

I have a three storey terrace with a 200Mbps fibre plan - I have an excellent ASUS RT-N66U router which provides great connection and speeds up to the 2nd floor - it can't reach the third floor - so I simply turned one of my old wifi routers into a wireless repeater using the guide above and now I am surfing at 20Mbps on the third floor - 20Mbps is more than enough for anything you want to do outside of downloading torrents and transferring large files over your network - and even then, it's not too bad!

How do you get it free? I called open net as the previous owner didnt install it during the free period, when the whole estate was being done. My argument was that i just bought over this house, and was not the one who ignored them.

This cut no ice, and they flatly refused. Wanted to charge me the standard fees, close to $500!!

Probably a bit late for you - but I just installed fibre at my place - OpenNet came and installed the Termination Point - if you buy a package from Starhub, the OpenNet installation is free!

The other ISPs don't provide this - Singtel is only willing to waive it if you purchase a fibre connection with their crappy Mio TV package!