Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
oonik grl

Laminate Flooring

Thank you for your rebuttal.

That is why I said one should not simply follow blindly what one reads on forums or from mfr`ers' site(s) but do more due diligence - read up on users' experiences. Obviously we can't simply rely on what one or two users said (that includes me), not knowing where they came from, but if the sample base of users' experiences is large enough, we can safely adopt what they said. It is not that I don't trust mfr`ers but other than useful info they presented on their site, the rest I will assign to the bin as marketing 'hype'. But user experiences? I think that is the only dependable info I can use today, provided the sample base is large enuf.

As you know, a mfr'er reputation can change - e.g. Seagate HD was highly regarded a few years ago for reliability but today they hv lost out to WD when many users complained about their more recent models. When I got the same experience with my Seagate HD bought about 1 yr ago (had been using Seagate far longer than that, also Conners, Maxtor, IBM's), I switched to WD last year. And so far found WD to be very good: fast, silent, running at lower power than Seagate's. WD today is larger than Seagate with No: 1 mkt share. Recently they competed against Seagate in acquiring Hitachi HD div and succeeded. Or take Sony. Lower end models are produced in Malaysia and it is common knowledge the quality is inferior to Sony's made-in-Japan.

Even Canon or Nikon's quality reputation cannot be trusted today. They both have quality issues. With the Net so pervasive today, one can quickly find out if a product sucks. A mfr'er quality and reputation can "slip" now and then. That does not come from me but is a market fact. Whatever I shared is from personal experiences, not some hype from sales people or from mfr'er sites or their agents. That does not mean I'm right, but even if I cannot trust my own experiences, at least I hv many others who shared similar experiences on products I used, such as cameras and TVs. BTW, have you considered the fact that suppliers don't tell where they source their products is their business secret and marketing strategy? Obviously one reason is bcoz they have to protect the brand name, not to hide some thing. E.g. OSIM brands and sells many products at very high prices, yet they don't make any of the products they sell. They are merely a marketing company, and they're very good at marketing. They don't divulge where or who make their products. Can you say therefore bcoz OSIM (and Ron Sim) does not reveal who is the OEMs therefore his products are suspect and inferior? Sure, I am ready to take you seriously any time - the moment you tell me you have "x" number of years using that particular product or brand and have not experienced any problem with it. Otherwise I will just regard what you say as "hearsay", no offense intended. That does not mean I'm right either. Because maybe in time many users will report their experiences and confirm that such-and-such no-source local brand is really inferior. Until then, I stand by what I said.

So yes, khengjoo, I absolutely agree - a little knowledge is a dangerous thing! :P hahaha

Edited by BlueFly

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Thank you for your rebuttal.

That is why I said one should not simply follow blindly what one reads on forums or from mfr`ers' site(s) but do more due diligence - read up on users' experiences. Obviously we can't simply rely on what one or two users said (that includes me), not knowing where they came from, but if the sample base of users' experiences is large enough, we can safely adopt what they said. It is not that I don't trust mfr`ers but other than useful info they presented on their site, the rest I will assign to the bin as marketing 'hype'. But user experiences? I think that is the only dependable info I can use today, provided the sample base is large enuf.

As you know, a mfr'er reputation can change - e.g. Seagate HD was highly regarded a few years ago for reliability but today they hv lost out to WD when many users complained about their more recent models. When I got the same experience with my Seagate HD bought about 1 yr ago (had been using Seagate far longer than that, also Conners, Maxtor, IBM's), I switched to WD last year. And so far found WD to be very good: fast, silent, running at lower power than Seagate's. WD today is larger than Seagate with No: 1 mkt share. Recently they competed against Seagate in acquiring Hitachi HD div and succeeded. Or take Sony. Lower end models are produced in Malaysia and it is common knowledge the quality is inferior to Sony's made-in-Japan.

Even Canon or Nikon's quality reputation cannot be trusted today. They both have quality issues. With the Net so pervasive today, one can quickly find out if a product sucks. A mfr'er quality and reputation can "slip" now and then. That does not come from me but is a market fact. Whatever I shared is from personal experiences, not some hype from sales people or from mfr'er sites or their agents. That does not mean I'm right, but even if I cannot trust my own experiences, at least I hv many others who shared similar experiences on products I used, such as cameras and TVs. BTW, have you considered the fact that suppliers don't tell where they source their products is their business secret and marketing strategy? Obviously one reason is bcoz they have to protect the brand name, not to hide some thing. E.g. OSIM brands and sells many products at very high prices, yet they don't make any of the products they sell. They are merely a marketing company, and they're very good at marketing. They don't divulge where or who make their products. Can you say therefore bcoz OSIM (and Ron Sim) does not reveal who is the OEMs therefore his products are suspect and inferior? Sure, I am ready to take you seriously any time - the moment you tell me you have "x" number of years using that particular product or brand and have not experienced any problem with it. Otherwise I will just regard what you say as "hearsay", no offense intended. That does not mean I'm right either. Because maybe in time many users will report their experiences and confirm that such-and-such no-source local brand is really inferior. Until then, I stand by what I said.

So yes, khengjoo, I absolutely agree - a little knowledge is a dangerous thing! :P hahaha

Hi BlueFly, it was all in good spirit, and most decisions at the end of the day are arbitrary. :yamseng:

I have previously paid a deposit for the laminate at the fair in Feb/Mar. But now all the contractors I encountered discouraged the use of laminate. They keep saying the scratch and water resistant are all bluff!

I told them maybe those laminates they are using are mainly for China and Malaysia hence have poorer quality as compared to this german brand. But to them, it's all gimmick.

I am now worried that the quality of the actual products might differ greatly from the samples that they used to demostrate.

Any comments regarding my concern?

Hi All,

I read from other topics in this forum many people have problems with laminate flooring due to water (spill water, close to wet area, rain water). And I think your contractor discourage you to use laminate flooring because he doesnt want you to have problems in the future and blaming him.

As for CHina Manufacturing, I thought almost all products are made in China but branded by European or American company. But of course the Company still do quality assurance on the products.

Cheers

Hiya,

Anyone using Vista Laminate Flooring?

Encountered any issues after installation?

My contractor let us choose from samples from Power Dekor and Vista.. so I suppose their price range is similar.

Or is the quality of Power Dekor better than Vista?

Thanks in advance!

Have u considered any natural product flooring?..:)

hi, u mean parquet or bamboo flooring?

Dun think so, as it is out of my budget.. =(

On hindsight, I do agree with Bluefly & khengjoo to certain extend.

Guess I will just go with Vista flooring (as provided by my contractor)

I don't have a reason strong enough to make me pay more for 'more branded' names like Pergo or Kronotex..

What matters more is how well we take care of our flooring after it's done. =)

(i work in seagate btw. haha)

Edited by stardust205

Hi All,

I read from other topics in this forum many people have problems with laminate flooring due to water (spill water, close to wet area, rain water). And I think your contractor discourage you to use laminate flooring because he doesnt want you to have problems in the future and blaming him.

As for CHina Manufacturing, I thought almost all products are made in China but branded by European or American company. But of course the Company still do quality assurance on the products.

Cheers

yep, my contractor dissuaded us from laminate flooring too.. citing the 'water issue'.

And yes.. MOST of the things are now made in China, isn't it.. even for European/US/Japane brands?

Nowsdays, its really difficult to avoid MIC products all together

LOL

I mean bamboo flooring .. well for bamboo you buy the product for a life time because of its long durable and low maintenance.

Bamboo also has a very low moisture and water absorption and also anti scratch even on the heavy traffic area...

Here are some opinion in the internet;

http://www.streetdirectory.com/etoday/bamboo-flooring-pros-and-cons-ppjpw.html

http://www.articleculture.com/Art/1412/221/Bamboo-Flooring-Review-Pros-And-Cons-Of-Bamboo-Floor.html

http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/199447/home_flooring/bamboo_flooring__.html

I just installed krono laminates in my flat recently, thou I'm very impressed by the material, I'm quite shocked by the workmanship. would like to check with fellow laminate users here if you encounter similar scenario as me.

the gap between the door frame and laminate is more than 1cm and they filled it up with colour silicon claiming that the space is for the laminates to expand and contract. although I agree that gap is important for expansion and contraction, but is a gap of more than 1cm too big? or is it an easy excuse for sloppy workmanship? I have attached a photo below to show, please advise me if you also faces the same issue.

IMG_1524.jpg

Dear all,

Currently researching for reno for my new place, perhaps would like to do laminates for my new house, came across their website when searching google that they're having a anniversary sale at $2.80psf...

Can anyone verify? Anyone here used their laminates before? Any feedbacks, please? Tana0005 any problems faced?

Hey guys,

i would strongly recommend my flooring contractor(Steve 91727038)

He's from Inovar Floor...

Their company are the direct mauafacturer from malaysia......

Reasonable price with excellent service..

And it comes with a life time warranty..

Cheers~

Speaking of INOVAR FLOOR, I saw their Ad in Zaobao paper today 16 Mar. They're having a warehouse sale today & tomorrow!!

Been thinking about overlaying the maid's room and storeroom with laminates as I dont want to spend too much after my big reno recently. I used inovar before in my previous house so i have no qualm abt their quality. Will update you guys later after I dropped by their showroom around lunch time

Happy chap here :notti: ....i got the deal at $2.70psf nett with skirting & accessories included! Really good bargain. The lowest price was $2.50 but I couldnt find the colour I want.

Anyway, compared to the price I paid 3 years ago (around $4)...this is a huge saving. The sale ends tomorrow and is available only at inovar showroom at tagore lane