Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
juxstapose

Journey To Our Home =)

Hi,

I agree with Norman, K seems to be good from the different blogs, but when I got K to give me a quotation for my EA, I had a heart - attack. ;p

His pricing is pretty pricey for me but what I see is that majority of the people do not have complains I have read one or two bloggers that do, but the majority did not.

I guess he is high demand so his pricing is also high. =)

K is good but his price laagi better. If you can afford his pricing, go for him. So far from what I see in the forums, his projects are all completed at a short time with minimal fuss and utmost satisfaction from his clients. Cheers...

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Does hacking off a wall definitely mean that the tiles underneath it are gone case? Other than trying to find back the same tile to replace, are there any other cheaper alternatives?

I'm trying to avoid having to replace all the tiles in the living n dining. Not very keen on laminating over existing tiles too.

Does hacking off a wall definitely mean that the tiles underneath it are gone case? Other than trying to find back the same tile to replace, are there any other cheaper alternatives?

I'm trying to avoid having to replace all the tiles in the living n dining. Not very keen on laminating over existing tiles too.

Tiles underneath the hacked walls confirmed gone case. Two remedies as far as I know:

1. Get back same floor tiles to replace if you are not hacking the floor.

2. Cement screed over the hacked area before laying laminates above it.

I chose the 2nd option as hacked away total 3 walls but dun have time and budget to lay new floor tiles. As such, I have to cement screed the hacked area before laying laminates above it.

Do remember to get your contractor to include the costs of cement screeding the hacked area if you chose option 2. Dun be like me having to fork out extra on top of what I was quoted coz my contractor told me hacking costs does not include making good. Cheers and all the best to your reno.

1st quote > 50k :( need to reassess my wants vs needs

For white window frames/grilles, is powder coated my only option?

50K including the below items:

1. Aircon

2. Windows + grilles

3. Painting

4. WC, Basins, taps, heaters?

5. Hood, hob, sink?

For wall & floor areas where the built in cabinets are covering, am I expecting them to tile it too?

PM me the quotation you have received and I can check with my costs to let you know if I think it is overpriced.

For wall & floor areas where the built in cabinets are covering, am I expecting them to tile it too?

I think usually they are not tiled but I assume you are referring to kitchen cabinets? If yes, a base is built for these cabinets. Only the area between the top hung and bottom cabinets are tiled or added with some form of a backsplash.

Mr K really very busy, to see him on a weekend need to wait a month! And he doesn't seem to do Sundays. Trying to arrange a weekday instead.

Will Taobao have this?

prettiestchair.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I saw a similar chair with almost same color at comfort furniture ( eunos industrial) .. Forgot the price but around 600+$

Met up with 3 contractors so far and our preferred choice is Alan! :D He really listens & the session was really a conversation. Can forsee a good working relationship if we take him.

Pending meetups with another ID & 1 more contractor... should I look for more?

Of course, ultimately it boils down to the quote.

To date: 5 meetups with 4 contractors & 1 id. I must say, the id pricing is really different from contractors! :sport-smiley-004:

Though the id was sincere & all that.. but the $$ was really :jawdrop:

Coincidentally, both the contractor & id intro-ed me vinyl laminates yesterday. Got to touch, feel & step on the real thing, & saw how the thing actually 'hooks' together. However, generally contractors advocate tiles, while ids advocate the vinyl. Is there a reason for it? bcos Contractors are more practical (ez maintenance & cleaning & cheaper) while IDs go more for aesthetics & feel?

The id did however come up with a different concept from what the contractors proposed, something that we had never thought of before too. And they did stress that the difference in the pricing is, other than 3d pics, because they emphasize more on ergonomics, like placing of switches, which types should be placed higher or lower & why. And of course they will help us match colours n stuff...

Anyone has any knowledge on that, care to share? So that I wont need the ID.... haahah :dancingqueen:

Interestingly, no one has suggested the pulout larder system for the kitchen cabinets, until I showed them a pic I took at Ikea to illustrate what I want to them. Or maybe the id would have suggested that eventually after I hired them (inline with their other input on ergonomics). Anyway that info I got from http://www.hettich.com/intelligentkitchens/ is pretty cool!

I MUST have that concept for the kitchen, hoping that there will be a cheaper alternative other than blum or hettich. :notti:

So anyway I'm down to my top 2 contractor choices! (Alan is one of them)

ID is definitely out, & 1 contractor I met definitely not the kind of person we think we can work with. K's quote is not back yet, but I dont think it can beat Alan's pricing.

Edited by juxstapose

K's quote will be higher than Alan... For ours, K quoted $10k more and both quotes are for similar items. We like K as he does have a creative streak which I think will help when we do not have the luxury of an ID. But $ wise, Alan is kinder to our wallets. Good luck and most importantly, go with what your heart tells you. Afterall we are putting our house into the hands of someone who can help us change it to our home :)