Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
gothique

Windows And Grilles

hi all

can i ask if changing window FRAME and window GRILLS, is it different?

I thought that to change window GRILL is easy, just screw on or off only. but change window FRAME is more complicated cuz u have to hack off the existing frame, plaster it back smoothly, paint it back the same color as the wall, then install the new frame.

Am i correct?

so we can't really change the window frame AFTER the reno right? it has to be during the reno?

cuz i am also thinking of getting 3rd party.

can anyone confirm this?

and for EA, i just want to change the frame to bronze aluminium, no grills at all,

living room 6 panels (sliding)

balcony 3 panels (casement)

kitchen 3 panels (casement)

bedrooms 3 panels each = 9 in all (sliding)

how much should the ID charge me? thanks...

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Sorry I have not heard of changing the window frame... I thought for window... once U change is changing the whole window ( glass panel with frame) ??

Edited by HSH21

hi like to check, is it possible to change the glass window onli without the frame?? or need to change the frame and the glass window??.. i dun intend to change grilles..

hi all

can i ask if changing window FRAME and window GRILLS, is it different?

I thought that to change window GRILL is easy, just screw on or off only. but change window FRAME is more complicated cuz u have to hack off the existing frame, plaster it back smoothly, paint it back the same color as the wall, then install the new frame.

Am i correct?

so we can't really change the window frame AFTER the reno right? it has to be during the reno?

cuz i am also thinking of getting 3rd party.

can anyone confirm this?

and for EA, i just want to change the frame to bronze aluminium, no grills at all,

living room 6 panels (sliding)

balcony 3 panels (casement)

kitchen 3 panels (casement)

bedrooms 3 panels each = 9 in all (sliding)

how much should the ID charge me? thanks...

hi, actually there's no issue of changing the windows AFTER the reno

it's just that it'll be more dusty and the paint around the frame will look slightly newer

as for the grilles, think none of us here can give you a definite price

coz it depends on how big the panels are, casement with or without top-hung

normal aluminium or double-hollow

and most importantly the ID's profit margin :sport-smiley-004:

even for my own place, i get quotes from $900 to $1,500 for windows

so it really depends loh

hi,

has anyone done aluminum grilles that do not cover the top-hung part??

is it cheaper than the normal grilles that goes right up to the ceiling??

got pics to show???

thanks! :)

Actually its better to do the window change during the reno period if you are redoing your kitchen and toilet wall tiles. The windows/grill must be changed after the old wall tiles are hacked and before the new wall tiles are lay. This allows the tiler to close up the gap between the wall and window frame. Nicer this way. If done after also can, but not as nice.

To change the whole house windows plus grill to white powder coat will cost about high $2k to $3k depending on how big is your windows. They charge by surface area (length x breath), so if you have tall windows, means more $$... Think many forumer indicated only the cost of grills which is a few hundred dollars. For grills only usually cost around $600-$700 for bronze colour and ~$900 for white colour, again depending on the window area.

I know a window installer quite good and he charge at factory direct price. Nice chap, good after sales service as well (my mother like to hang her cloth on the window handle to dry, so her handler corrode quite badly and after 5 years it broke. Ask him to come and he still will come change FOC plus give us a few more handlers as spare.) My previous two house all done by him. No problem encountered. Even my present house, I get my ID to tell me the date to install and still get him to do it for me. Even my ID say his price is really cheaper.

His shop is "Kia* Ho*g Alumi*ium"... PM me if anyone keen to get the contact. :~

Actually its better to do the window change during the reno period if you are redoing your kitchen and toilet wall tiles. The windows/grill must be changed after the old wall tiles are hacked and before the new wall tiles are lay. This allows the tiler to close up the gap between the wall and window frame. Nicer this way. If done after also can, but not as nice.

To change the whole house windows plus grill to white powder coat will cost about high $2k to $3k depending on how big is your windows. They charge by surface area (length x breath), so if you have tall windows, means more $$... Think many forumer indicated only the cost of grills which is a few hundred dollars. For grills only usually cost around $600-$700 for bronze colour and ~$900 for white colour, again depending on the window area.

I know a window installer quite good and he charge at factory direct price. Nice chap, good after sales service as well (my mother like to hang her cloth on the window handle to dry, so her handler corrode quite badly and after 5 years it broke. Ask him to come and he still will come change FOC plus give us a few more handlers as spare.) My previous two house all done by him. No problem encountered. Even my present house, I get my ID to tell me the date to install and still get him to do it for me. Even my ID say his price is really cheaper.

His shop is "Kia* Ho*g Alumi*ium"... PM me if anyone keen to get the contact. :drunk:

[Hi can i have the contact? my email address is joycial@yahoo.com

TQ]

My Wife and I are in the middle of renovating (Ho Bee) our resale 3S Serangoon flat.

During the reno, the existing windows and grilles have been removed and new Alu sliding windows fitted.

We were surprised how bright and airy the flat looks without any grilles being fitted. My contractor is now asking what type of grilles I want to fit.

I am a foreigner, and do not understand the apparent desire of Singaporeans to live in a prison-like environment with all windows and doors fitted with bars, and I am considering the alternatives.

My main questions are: -

1. Is there a high risk of robbery if I don't fit grilles, bearing in mind that the old grilles would not have posed much of a barrier to a determined thief. I always assumed that Singapore was a relatively crime free country.

2. Are there any types of removable grilles available. By this I mean easy and quick to install when we are away and remove when we are living there. Alternatively a concertina folding type of grille might be the answer if available.

Sorry for not using any Singlish, but the only word I know is "La" ( and a couple of unrepeatable Hokkien words).

Don

My Wife and I are in the middle of renovating (Ho Bee) our resale 3S Serangoon flat.

During the reno, the existing windows and grilles have been removed and new Alu sliding windows fitted.

We were surprised how bright and airy the flat looks without any grilles being fitted. My contractor is now asking what type of grilles I want to fit.

I am a foreigner, and do not understand the apparent desire of Singaporeans to live in a prison-like environment with all windows and doors fitted with bars, and I am considering the alternatives.

My main questions are: -

1. Is there a high risk of robbery if I don't fit grilles, bearing in mind that the old grilles would not have posed much of a barrier to a determined thief. I always assumed that Singapore was a relatively crime free country.

2. Are there any types of removable grilles available. By this I mean easy and quick to install when we are away and remove when we are living there. Alternatively a concertina folding type of grille might be the answer if available.

Sorry for not using any Singlish, but the only word I know is "La" ( and a couple of unrepeatable Hokkien words).

Don

Firstly, we install the window grilles not becos we like it but for the safety of our young generation. Sorry to say this but i find that your this sentence "do not understand the apparent desire of Singaporeans to live in a prison-like environment with all windows and doors fitted with bars." is very offencing.

Firstly, we install the window grilles not becos we like it but for the safety of our young generation. Sorry to say this but i find that your this sentence "do not understand the apparent desire of Singaporeans to live in a prison-like environment with all windows and doors fitted with bars." is very offencing.

Hi Alison,

I apologize for causing you offence, it was certainly not my intention. The analogy between bars on doors and windows, and a prison like environment was the only one I could think of at the time.

I had mistakenly assumed the grilles were fitted to stop people getting into the flat, whereas you are informing me that it is to stop children falling out. I stand corrected.

Thank you for the information, I can now cancel my order for window grilles, as I have no small children living with me.

Don

Hi Alison,

I apologize for causing you offence, it was certainly not my intention. The analogy between bars on doors and windows, and a prison like environment was the only one I could think of at the time.

I had mistakenly assumed the grilles were fitted to stop people getting into the flat, whereas you are informing me that it is to stop children falling out. I stand corrected.

Thank you for the information, I can now cancel my order for window grilles, as I have no small children living with me.

Don

Grills are not only to stop overactive kids from falling out but may help to prevent prevent accidental deaths to adults too. Forumers may recall that recently there was a news report of a guy who slept-walk and fell to his death because the window was without grills. According to the report, the brother-in-law had asked the deceased (flat owner) to install grills but his advice was not taken.

Makes me wanna install grills too although I prefer my windows to be without them. :dunno:

the shop at imm quote me 2k for whole house, 4rm flat and use solid one...is it im being chop chop?? :jawdrop:

saw on ch8 "the king of thrift" they recommend to the grill shop the one at defu lane3, well*** metal works. they do very cheap isit true?

Don: heheh sooner or later u will loveee....singlish :notti::notti: im a foreigner too :dancingqueen:

in my opinion if u not afraid of high and no children that still ok....enjoy it :sport-smiley-003: .... im the type very "kiasi" when we hvnt put grills and dont hv children, i dont let my spouse to stand nearby the window , i will imagine the worse worse thing :dunno::dunno: so in the end we put grills. for landed house still ok for me not to put, but for high apartment is no no....

Hi Alison,

Don

Hi Don,

It depends on where you stay also. If your the windows of your flat is next to a common corridor (where passerby can just walk pass), then it is good that you had window grilles for those windows. Even our police has statement that says "Low crime, doesn't mean No crime".

E.g.: if you have a cupboard next to the windows, and someone unintentionally left a handphone on it. Someone walks pass and happen to see the handphone, it is very tempting and very likely that someone will just take it away.

As for the rooms and kitchen side, it is not just to prevent children from falling off. There are many cases of maids falling off while cleaning the windows too. Of course, maids who clean windows are likely to open up the grilles too.

So, it all depends on your needs, your feel and your budget. :)

Have fun.

Edited by nath.adrie