Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
shinechey

Resale Condo Renovation

Hi

I am planning for my 3 bedroom condo renovation. Basically I am planning to do full Kitchen, living room(feature wall and a mini bar counter), 2 bathroom, wardrobes in 3 bedrooms. false sealing in living & master bed room. Plannig to hack the wall between kitchen and living to make it an open kitchen with some fixed and sliding glass panel as well. any idea how much will be rough cost for this much work?

any suggestion for a cheap and good ID? as of now i have short listed 2 ID's

1.Fuse concept

2.Space Define

have anybody engaged them for renovation? any feedback pls? really apprecite your comments.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Congrats on ur new home. sounds like a hack of a job. I would estimate it to be anything from 50-60K or more.

Cos hacking for condo are REALLY expensive as u need PE submission and approval. I reckon it to be at least a

2-3month job. Remember, bulk of condo reno is labour costs because of the fact that they only work between 9-5.

Hi Batman

thanks a lot. Ya you are right i have received quoted from few ID's like rest n relax, Cisern, Space define, Fuse concept, Rhiss Interior etc. all of them have quoted above 50K. i am still discussing with Fuse and Space define.

for the PE endorsement how much will it cost? it is very expensive?

I'm also planning reno for condo. Got a little to hack, definitely not as much compared to yours. Does your floor plan show which is hackable? Cos mine doesn't. I called the management office and they ask me to hire PE. Not sure how much it cost though.

Hi Shine,

I have no idea how much is PE endorsement. if I were to shoot for a figure, I reckon it to be in the region of 3-5K,

depending on the "complexity" of the approval.

I guess, by now, u should realise that 1 remarkable difference is the haulage fees. Condos easily is 3-5K region bcos

of higher labor costs + inflexibility of management to allow "dump trucks" entry.

In any case, my advice would be to compare around and make ur final decision on the comfy level and "chemistry" with the ID.

Hi Shine,

I have no idea how much is PE endorsement. if I were to shoot for a figure, I reckon it to be in the region of 3-5K,

depending on the "complexity" of the approval.

I guess, by now, u should realise that 1 remarkable difference is the haulage fees. Condos easily is 3-5K region bcos

of higher labor costs + inflexibility of management to allow "dump trucks" entry.

In any case, my advice would be to compare around and make ur final decision on the comfy level and "chemistry" with the ID.

hi batman,

does changing the flooring consider hacking and need PE endorsement since they need to hack the old tiles?

sorry if this sound stupid...first time doing reno...

Hi Batman

thanks a lot. Ya you are right i have received quoted from few ID's like rest n relax, Cisern, Space define, Fuse concept, Rhiss Interior etc. all of them have quoted above 50K. i am still discussing with Fuse and Space define.

Hi Shinechey, I'm also planning to renovate my 3-bedroom condo but mainly the kitchen and 2 bathrooms. I'm also going to hack off the kitchen between my kitchen and dining area to create more openness and install a 3-panel sliding glass door. For PE endorsement, so far I've been quoted anywhere between $600-700, not cheap. I'd read in other threads that some forummers were able to engage PEs for as low as $300 but I wasn't able to obtain any contact details :(

Sorry monk, I m not too sure about that. I would think it should not, unless u r hacking down a wall.

For PE endorsement, if it does not include any calculations, meaning they take your plan, chop their PE chop, submit to authorities, it will be probably $500-600. If need calculation type, like hack wall, make corridor narrower, then need to calculate the fire escape, this will go for >$1k-$1.5k... if those more complicated angmoh house, (landed properties) like deck extension la, new overhang la, move column la (yes, amazingly, column can be moved), this will be 'they say whay you pay what'...

Hi Batman

Hi Shine , I am also in the process of renovating my house. Did ask the management about PE too , I guess same , they ask me to consult a professional on the charges, spoke to my designer , pricing seems to be about SGD 450.00 and such , have yet to nego , still considereing if I am going to hack away the walls. Seems very troublesome .. :bangwall:

Do we hire PEs through contractor? currently, there is a 'hole' in my kitchen wall dividing it from the dining/ living area. I find that 'hole' small and since the kitchen is dark, i want to hack off the top portion to widen and brighten the area abit more.

If just hacking top portion of the wall, is a PE still needed? and is this job considered complex?

Other than this job, i need to hack and change kitchen, yard and bathroom wall and floor tiles. Keeping the living and bedroom flooring - just need to buff it nicely. also need carpentry for 3bedrooms, 1study and TV console. can this job be kept within 40k or less?

How to save $$ on this job?

Contractor will have PEs contacts. I also heard that some condo's management office may require home owners to use PE endorsed by them.

Anyone with affordable PE contact?

Hi loly, personally, it's impossible for ur job to be within 40K. I m not ID or in this business.

I'd estimate it to be 50-60K. My advice will be that u check out at least 3-5 for quotes. If one

is way off, then u knw tat one cannot take. Reason being that cost of materials is more or

less there. So don't be penny wise pound foolish. Always bear in mind that u cannot compare HDB

with condo; in that how come HDB have this n that n build this n that only 20-30K and condo cost

so much..

Good luck my friend :)

40k is possible if use direct contractors not IDs who probably markup 10k for profits. Don't forget, many sales designers are free lancers sharing half the profits with the company.

Condo reno cost more is because of restrictive working hours and days, pass changes which sub-contractors hates or they don't have work permits, more regulations and inspections on Reno works by condo management such as debris clearing, putting up protection for lifts, landings, rubbish have to be in bags before taking them down lifts, etc. The extra cost should be about 10 to 20 percent more I believed and not much more than HDB. Of course, finishes for condo are expected to be higher due to different class of clients, therefore can charge more.

Get quotes from direct contractors and see the difference between the ID quotes and them. Prices are usually big difference especially from those big or corner booths in expo or big names like Cxxx design. Use these prices as reference. Or you may engage them as some direct contractors are no difference from IDs except for showroom. Showroom and expo costs are very expensive, and their clients pay for it. I was told the very large showflat at the show coat $25,000 a booth, not including setup, running costs. Most if almost all IDs outsourced their works to sub-contractors and put in their high markups. Many contractors are also good in design as they use outsourced 3D rendering companies like many of the large IDs. If your works have carpentry besides wet works, chose one that has woodworking factory. Visit them to verify, not just office.

Some direct contractors do multiple trades with own workers and they are better choices as they can deploy more manpower resources to finish up the works. In renovations, there will be some issues which everyone has not foresee such as the client buying a bigger fridge, change electrical or plumbing position, different lightings, bathroom accessories like rain shower ... These small changes usually take forever as they involve different sub-contractors, electrical, tiling, plumbers, carpentry, ceiling partition and painter with each party coming one after another. That is where the delays usually happens, not to mention the extra high costs your ID is going to charge you as their sub-contractor charges them. Therefore, using a direct contractor with own workers and carpentry factory will minimize the time to fix the changes as they use own workers, so it is faster to deploy workers and lower the costs as the workers are already there. Many small main cons doing school projects, house constructions have similar system different from IDs who uses separate sub-cons for different works. I have seen at least 2 such multiple trades direct contractors in this forum. If you cannot find them, PM me.

good info here...i know that direct contractors are supposingly cheaper but it's not easy getting one that is good with design...

I'm more concerned with the standard of reno especially carpetary...

Could you advise on the 2 direct contractors in this forum? are they any good?

have PM you.

thanks.