Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Jenny1983

Renovation Package Or Individual Quotes

Kindly advice, I wonder sometime there are so many ID firm around is it better to confirm the deal as a package or is it better to ask the id quote each item individual? Anyone facing the same problem or pls share your experience

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

If u have the time to coordinate, then u can go individual..

Else go w an ID will be more convenient..

U can ask yourself this, if today u r selling ur services to an ID firm, will u sell cheaper? Then a walk in customer call in, will u still sell same price or more ex? :)

If got $$$ and no time to manage, get an ID to do everything for you.

If no $$$ but got time to so some coordination with the different contractors, then get a contractor.

For my new house, I am basically getting two contractors to settle everything for me. Contractor A will be doing the hacking, tiling plus plumbing works. Contractor B will be in charge of electrical and carpentry. I will handle the windows installer, Inovar floor laminates, painter and aircon man personally. Saves me at least $5-7K based on the reno works I need so I dun mind doing it myself.

If the whole renovation cost 20 to 25k a saving of 5 to 7k saving is a lot those Id told me that their profit is about 5 to 8 % of the $25k so I think about it we dun really save a lot.

Do not get an ID, unless you want swee swee designs.

Approach a main contractor, which will coordinates for you.

Even if you have some concepts/designs on mind, tell the main contractor and he

will be able to do it.

In my case, the main-con will arrange a meetup with the carpenter he works with

and i will tell the carpenter what design i want for my kitchen, built-in wardrobe etc.

Cheers, Merry Xmas!

Have fun with your renovation

If the whole renovation cost 20 to 25k a saving of 5 to 7k saving is a lot those Id told me that their profit is about 5 to 8 % of the $25k so I think about it we dun really save a lot.

U believe its only 5-8%??

Some charges higher and use inferior quality, which you will only know few years later.

Have to give and take. Some good IDs have products of their own which are cheaper. Whereas some just go by adding % to cover project management cost. Genuine ones do in pros way, but sales designers are a bit diff...major non experience, that's why lots of headache.

You can see all kind of Aggressive ads everywhere, from expo, Internet, newspaper, magazine.......... I suppose all ful of gimmick, no hidden cost, no gst no so on. So when u sign with them all the the hidden cost appear, all the gimmick come along. Is it true sometime if you get a one man show contractor without a showroom you will get a better deal and he will focus on your project more rather get a Id company when they had too many contract on hand and somehow they may delay yr work due to too many thing to handle. A very funny ads I come across tell you they will understand what u want in 15 minutes.

http://www.sginteriorhub.com/promotion/renovation-package/category

You can see all kind of Aggressive ads everywhere, from expo, Internet, newspaper, magazine.......... I suppose all ful of gimmick, no hidden cost, no gst no so on. So when u sign with them all the the hidden cost appear, all the gimmick come along. Is it true sometime if you get a one man show contractor without a showroom you will get a better deal and he will focus on your project more rather get a Id company when they had too many contract on hand and somehow they may delay yr work due to too many thing to handle. A very funny ads I come across tell you they will understand what u want in 15 minutes.

http://www.sginteriorhub.com/promotion/renovation-package/category

Ya, usually Reno ID's Marketers will create the 'wants' in consumer's purchasing decision.

Which in turn, will make you think "Oh, that is what i want"

So have to consider carefully.

Cheers, Melissa.

Warming: Recently I request a quote online giving all my personnel contact and detail. We were lazy just want to find out more about pricing and design without going round asking for quote hoping to save money. It say 20 Top I.D firm, so we save time n transport. Our nightmare begin we receive more than 50 different calls from all kinds of I.D company. Some are even curtain shop asking you whether you like to come down to their shop or they can made a trip down to your home. Till today 29.12.12 12.58pm I receive another two call from whoever. My advice to all. Never give your contact number online

Some useful information link:

1. The complaint about contractor: http://www.case.org.sg/statistics.html

2. Hdb Rules: http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10324p.nsf/w/HomeRenoGuidelines

3. Apply renovation loan : http://www.smartloans.sg/renovation-loan

4. Online home accessories : http://www.theonlinemart.com/

5. How to avoid renovation mistake : http://www.sginteriorhub.com/articles/ideas/ideas-article?id=73

6. How to install your own glass backsplash: http://www.myplace.sg/how-to-install-your-own-glass-backsplash/

7. One man show contractor: http://www.sginteriorhub.com/partners/partners/61/handyman

8. Best forums to share your view: You are now looking at it. Renotalk :)

I faced this same decision when I renovated my corner terrace a few months ago and obtained quotes from about 4 companies - three ID firms and 1 contractor. I ultimately selected the contractor who acted as main contractor and coordinated my various other works, although I was also quite hands on and handled the various sub-contractors (carpenter, electrician) myself. This main contractor is quite well known and is recommended on this forum.

First, some background. I am not an industry professional and I can only speak as to my experience as a customer. However, my wife and I consider ourselves to be fairly savvy consumers and this is not our first property or renovation experience. The workscope for our new home is fairly limited and contract value was approximately $50k. The main work was to hack the existing enclosed kitchen and turn it into an open plan kitchen. All kitchen cabinets were new and water points in the kitchen were rerouted. Other work is to construct polycarbonate awnings over some doors, interior paint, polishing of marble and parquet flooring, and minor renovation of toilet to construct new vanity and sink.

The main (only?) advantage of a main contractor is cost savings. If your contractor is the same price or more expensive than your ID, then something has gone wrong somewhere. The real question to ask when choosing between contractor and ID therefore is, what is the additional amount for?

There are two important assumptions here. First, I am assuming that your ID is reliable and competent. Secondly, I am assuming that you have the budget to pay the additional markup for ID services, if you think that it is necessary to do so.

To me, there are three things you are paying for when you engage an ID and when you pay the 20% (and up) markup over the actual contract value for the ID services.

Project Management Services

Firstly is project management services, where the ID handles all sub-contractors, coordinates their work and integration between the different elements, and hopefully delivers the final renovation according to the agreed schedule. During the renovation process, you (the customer) only deal with the one single ID instead of having to deal with each sub-contractor.

A main contractor can, to a certain extent, replicate these project management services, but as he is not really making that much money from this deal, this is not a priority for him. But as an industry professional, he will have contacts and experience to move the process along in the right direction.

If you (the customer) have the time, interest and patience to get your hands dirty with project management, you may not require ID services, but also consider the remaining two points.

Quality Control

As a consumer, unless you have the interest and inclination, you are unlikely to be up to speed on best practices in interior design / construction and so someone experienced like an ID should be able to help you monitor workmanship and, if necessary, to get contractors to properly re-do subpar work, instead of doing a quick patch job. There is certainly information disparity between a contractor and a consumer and if you get a contractor who is in a hurry or who is unscrupulous, he may be inclined to hide certain problems rather than have it rectified properly, knowing that you are unlikely to find out until it is too late. It is more difficult to fool an experienced ID.

If you (the customer) have an extreme eye for detail and have the time to constantly monitor the reno works, and you don't mind being difficult to get what you want, again, you may not need an ID for this reason. On the opposite end of the spectrum, if you don't particularly care about quality or details, again an ID may not be necessary since you won't be bothered about these elements.

Design and reality check

Finally, a good ID provides design services and provides a reality check for some of your ideas as to whether it is practical or sensible. If you are clueless, your ID can provide you with ideas. Even if you are very creative and have a scrap book of design ideas, you may need someone with practical experience in translating your ideas into reality within a set budget, and to gently tell you whether something is a good idea or not, and the pros and cons of implementing your idea. People have have a general sense of what they want, but they may not know how to achieve it. It is not so easy to source for laminates, tiles, paint colours, furniture and fittings and too many choices may lead to paralysis and fatigue when you end up focusing on nitty gritty details rather than big picture issues. If you are working with difficult, non-conventional properties, an ID may be even more important than you have a straighforward layout.

To give an example, I was faced with the decision of either trying to find marble floor tiles which matched my existing marble floor tiles, or to install a contrasting floor tile. I decided to match the floor tiles and went to source for floor tiles myself, spending several weeks visiting different tile warehouses. I finally found one warehouse who claimed that they would be able to match my floor tiles, but unfortunately, they did not match and I now have to live with a 30% difference in the floor tile colour. I believe that if I had an ID, he would have advised me not to match and go with a contrasting tile.

Again, if design or detail is not very important to you, then an ID may not be necessary.

Summary

I probably saved $10-$15k (20%+) compared to a reputable ID and I was overall satisfied with the professionalism and workmanship of the contractor. He delivered what he said he would deliver. However, if you asked me to make the decision again, I may have decided to go with an ID to get a better result, even though it would have cost more.

Edited by kreampuff

Yup.. bottom line is that if u have the time n effort, go ahead to engage ur own contractor n project manage it on ur own.

If you engage any ID you still need to go down to the site to view and to check. So it made no different you engage ID or you do your own renovation

If you engage any ID you still need to go down to the site to view and to check. So it made no different you engage ID or you do your own renovation

Owner may try this:

Ensure a work schedule deliver to you during signing of contract, normally a house reno may takes 4 to 7 weeks, so you may do a weekly checking through phone call to the ID to receive a latest information of what has been done in the pass one week and what to be follow up for the next one-two weeks, you may request a site pictures from the ID through emails or whatsapp, and do a spot check after that to see if all are in order and if the ID has lied in anyway.

This is the best way to monitor your house instead of checking site regularly and end up creating unnecessary anger just because you seen what you do not wish to see in your house.

when ID knows that you are monitoring him weekly, i'm sure he will be more on-the-ball, rather to give him unnecessary pressure and end up with bad relationship.

Hope the simple tips helps RT members a happy renovation, Cheers :yamseng: