Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Z3phy

Resale 4Rm Flat In Pasir Ris

Mr E here.

Actually after seeing all these grilles and sliding windows being able to be opened or removed in a few seconds, and also did some pondering upon the security of our new place.

I m beginning to wonder what's the minimum safety and security requirements that BCA/HDB or <INSERT-RANDOM-STATBOARD-HERE> impose on the contractors. As in how much minimum safety is minimum enough, but removing and opening the windows in seconds doesnt seem like any minimum effort or requirement at all to me.

Falling short of keeping a guard dog or installing a burglary alarm system or fixing a live electrical circuit to the windows which u switch on before u go to sleep, it also seems that safety and security minimum requirements has "sort of" been very much overlooked and neglected probably because our country is deemed very safe. Again, I don't know if the term "very safe"in the eyes of the authorities has been loosely used and misappropriated.

Likewise because of this, contractors justify a certain price for a certain quality, so expect a rebuke or rebutt from them regarding extra locks and stuff when in the first place, extra security could have been added. Even perhaps an option to make them more secure would be greatly appreciated.

What I also see is that, it is also "possible" for a random fellow to offer his "extra locks services" after "knowing" from whosoever has installed the windows. Seriously, I doubt anyone would be so free to "patrol and spot" every unit in the neighbourhood to earn an extra buck. The way I see it, one job that yields 300$ to 450$ a night is considered very lucrative.

My sentiments with no offence intended to anyone else.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

At my previous place, neighbour's houses have been broken into using screw-drivers - either through the main door or the sliding door (landed)

As a result, my parents always insist to have all sliding windows and doors must be bolted, in addition to the usual locks.

The bolt should be directed downwards. This makes it a lot harder to remove the sliding doors/windows

Mr E here.

Actually after seeing all these grilles and sliding windows being able to be opened or removed in a few seconds, and also did some pondering upon the security of our new place.

I m beginning to wonder what's the minimum safety and security requirements that BCA/HDB or <INSERT-RANDOM-STATBOARD-HERE> impose on the contractors. As in how much minimum safety is minimum enough, but removing and opening the windows in seconds doesnt seem like any minimum effort or requirement at all to me.

Falling short of keeping a guard dog or installing a burglary alarm system or fixing a live electrical circuit to the windows which u switch on before u go to sleep, it also seems that safety and security minimum requirements has "sort of" been very much overlooked and neglected probably because our country is deemed very safe. Again, I don't know if the term "very safe"in the eyes of the authorities has been loosely used and misappropriated.

Likewise because of this, contractors justify a certain price for a certain quality, so expect a rebuke or rebutt from them regarding extra locks and stuff when in the first place, extra security could have been added. Even perhaps an option to make them more secure would be greatly appreciated.

What I also see is that, it is also "possible" for a random fellow to offer his "extra locks services" after "knowing" from whosoever has installed the windows. Seriously, I doubt anyone would be so free to "patrol and spot" every unit in the neighbourhood to earn an extra buck. The way I see it, one job that yields 300$ to 450$ a night is considered very lucrative.

My sentiments with no offence intended to anyone else.

Bro E, no worry. Some insightful personal views u hv there!

I suppose the newer flats no longer have such a corridor window issue because they no longer have windows along the corridor le. As to wat the govt/authorities could do to improve the older flats, or set the min. code of safety/security stds for installations such as the above (if they are even aware of it), IMHO, as citizens, we could also exercise our due diligence to provide feedback to them (thru watever feedback channel).

On a side note, there are really contractors (licensed ones I have come across so far) combing the older housing estates to offer their services to hse owners whose hse or any part of the hse is deemed to require some repair/upgrading works (it's just another form of 'biz development' i suppose). One just has to be careful & wise in handling them. Personally, I encountered before a contractor who approached me to change my old toilet glass louvers and frame (last time these were fixed on wooden frame). Apparently, it could seen from the staircase that the outside of the wooden frame was highly rotten liao.. :P

My 2-cents worth too!

Cheers! :)

Sorry folks, went home late last night.. took the pics (sorry for the poor quality due to poor light condition) but only got time now to upload..

Shown here are the 2 locksets installed for my 3-panel sliding windows in my common bedrm. Got another 2 sets for my 4-panel windows in the living rm.

windowlockset1_zps07686b14.jpg

windowlockset2_zpse6ba6f9f.jpg

(oops! looks like the locksets need some polishing.. :P)

Mine looks exactly like this too! I now feel safer after installing these......after all I feel it's personal choice. This guy did not force me to install. He merely alerted me and got me to rethink my home security.

just curious, for those whose sliding windows can be lifted open from corridor, is there an add on angle strip on the bottom rail? if not, then yes you can lift up the window easily. did it all the time for cleaning. the permanent angle strip prevent the sliding windows from coming off the rails.

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10297p.nsf/ImageView/NEW_SLIDING/$file/Window-08-Model.pdf

Mine looks exactly like this too! I now feel safer after installing these......after all I feel it's personal choice. This guy did not force me to install. He merely alerted me and got me to rethink my home security.

ya to each his best lo...

wow, i came in to see if there's any new puppy pics, but to my horror, i read about the corridor windows thingy, now i also scared liao!!!:o

For my parents' HDB flat which they got it 13 years ago, all corridor sliding windows already installed with these locks. So was this problem already known at that time or my parents just think it is safer to have extra lock? Need to find out..

Sorry folks, went home late last night.. took the pics (sorry for the poor quality due to poor light condition) but only got time now to upload..

Shown here are the 2 locksets installed for my 3-panel sliding windows in my common bedrm. Got another 2 sets for my 4-panel windows in the living rm.

windowlockset1_zps07686b14.jpg

windowlockset2_zpse6ba6f9f.jpg

(oops! looks like the locksets need some polishing.. :P)

wow, i came in to see if there's any new puppy pics, but to my horror, i read about the corridor windows thingy, now i also scared liao!!!:o

Don't panic or get too anxious. Now that our friends have shared with us that our sliding windows n grilles have weakly secured, it just means we need to reinforce them with good and reliable locks. I must thank the guy for informing me about the weakness of my sliding window.

In my opinion, break in usually happen to corner units and non-corridor units where the public cannot see the main entrance.

One of my friend once shared with me that his 4rm corner unit in Jurong was broken in 3 times.

Omg!! It's so scary to read about all this. This makes it even clearer that I need to get a burglar alarm with monitoring system. I've already contacted ADT and they will be coming to do installation for my place next week. Maybe you guys can also consider. It's not expensive for peace of mind.

I was quoted $58 per month fee for 3-yrs contract. All the equipment & installation is Foc. The monthly fee is for their monitoring fee. In the event the alarm is triggered, they will try contacting me and my hub first. If neither of us responds, a patrol car will be send to access the situation. If warranted, the police will be notified. After 3-yrs, if we do not continue the contract, we can stop it, and get to keep the equipment which will function as normal burglar alarm.

End of day, better to be safe then live to regret.

Hi 3Dyms, my parents have been using ADT for more than 3 years & indeed it has given been extra assurance. They previously experienced a near break-in (despite being a corner unit) and that's why they engaged ADT. However there may be occasional false alarms due to power trips or equipment malfunction (wear & tear) but other than that, it's good!

Hi Makan,

Thank you for posting that. I feel more assured that ADT should be a good choice. So far, whenever i ask people for feedbacks, they will recommend ADT. I've yet to sign the contract with ADT (doing it this weekend). Can't wait for my alarm system to be up. Especially now I'm reading that corner units are more prone to break-ins. Yikes!!

hi guys... also to note, when the guys open my window and grilles, the alarm would not sound as the alarm usually detects forced entry of the door.

there would be no sign at all of anyone entering my apartment. they opened both windows and grilles and can close and LOCK them back to original state in less than 2 mins.

so have to ensure ur ADT or other security systems works for windows that are opened from the outside without permission and force.

hahaha.... the pup's 8 months old now. just had her spaying done 10 days ago.

vet says her skin is very sensitive. coz turn red (rashes) at the parts where they shaved.

but luckily she recovering fast.

some pics of her....

20130716_223350_zps18902781.jpg

20130716_223353_zps6e0be387.jpg