Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jaykr

An Experiement In Designing My New Home

Hi Bleucheeze,

So not worried about scratches, dents, stains etc..?? I wanted to choose solid also but everything all over that it is very easy to scratch , stain etc... I decided not to use Solid Surface. Trying to figure out if there is anything better or I have no choice but to use Quartz. =)

I heard there is no seams / grouts if your counter top is not very long for Quartz.

I am also using white. I think for white, basically there are two materials to choose from, solid surface and quartz. I didn't like quartz cos there will be an obvious "grout" line, so it came down to just solid surface for me. There are various price points for solid surface, I suppose different price = different quality? I chose Samsung brand solid surface, price is in between normal solid surface and quartz. Erm.... but don't ask me how much cos I don't remember :P

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Thanx Ment0s ! Mind if I ask a follow up question? Which model of white did you choose? 2141? Also did you like decide on the type of profile edging you wanted?

Did you choose 20mm or 40mm ?

Mind if if I ask why that particular profile is because of the style or because its better to prevent chipping etc?? ;p

Did you get the warranty card for Caesarstone? Mind if I ask what was the per foot cost for you? If you don't want to tell its ok...if you don't mind telling, I would like to know... thanx!!!

Errr....hope I didn't bombard you with too many questions...;p

I used the pure white, 1141 I think. The whitet-est white. 20mm for a cleaner look. The top hasn't been installed yet so I didn't get any warranty yet.

Per ft run is abt $190 upwards? I can't rmb coz I think it was lumpsum in the quote and I didn't probe coz it looks reasonable after he explained.

Hi Bleucheeze,

So not worried about scratches, dents, stains etc..?? I wanted to choose solid also but everything all over that it is very easy to scratch , stain etc... I decided not to use Solid Surface. Trying to figure out if there is anything better or I have no choice but to use Quartz. =)

I heard there is no seams / grouts if your counter top is not very long for Quartz.

My kitchentop is L-shape, so there will definitely be a grout line. Not worried about stains and all... in fact, the only thing i am concerned about is scratches. but since mine is white, i hope scratches won't be that obvious? If I rem correctly, you can also choose to polish your solid surface a few years down the road if you think the scratches are unbearable. :sport-smiley-004:

Here are couple of pictures of my new home before the renovation begins. :sport-smiley-004:

Looking into the Foyer & Living from the Door :

8579979186_ed21edaa58_z.jpg

From middle of Foyer looking into Dining & Service Yard.

8579979468_0ce08749bd_z.jpg

Kitchen looking into dining entrance :

8579978494_eb7effe453_z.jpg

The other side view of the kitchen

8578878445_88364994cc_z.jpg

Edited by jaykr

Hi Mk,

Yup, its broken marble the entire house except the kitchen.

I am definitely keeping it. In the hot Singapore weather, it is nice to have a cooling flooring. I will be grinding and polishing the marble. me like. :good:

Is that broken marble flooring for your living room? Keeping or hacking?

Here are more photos of my flat :

Entrance into Study Room - Picture kinda blurry...

8579975674_deb81c832b_c.jpg

Study Room

8579975906_3205ca7e30_c.jpg

Service Yard /Balcony

8579976248_14ce1c285c_c.jpg

8579976600_1e53eb36fb_c.jpg

Tomorrow will be the start of hacking. Hacking of two bathrooms, kitchen and new entrance from Bedroom 3 to Common Bathroom.

Hopefully everyone goes well !! :D

Hacking both bathrooms and kitchen. Changing the tiles and do water proofing, there is a lot of leakage and the tiles grouts are super white, over time everything will turn black. Too many lines for me and that makes it too much maintenance in the long run.

Don't want to spent too much brushing the walls and floors...;p

Some parts of your place still look good like the master bathroom. Keeping or hacking?

Hi summersan,

Thank you. My place is actually is 179sqm. So got some space to work it. But with the space comes the costs. So, I am trying to keep to a simple budget so only doing some parts of the place. However, I want to do so many things, but got to control myself.

Just to give you an idea, most of the ID's I talk too quoted me from 60 - 100K. This is just for renovation and does not include lighting , furniture , fittings etc. :jawdrop:

The contractors who came also saw my place and said minimum 50K. :bangwall:

Finally I talked to Alan and have been negotiating with him since February I think. Add things, remove things, cut price, get my hardware etc...etc...etc... until we both happy. Alan has been patient enough to go through my many many many many changes I have requested for. So finally tomorrow start the hacking!

Phew! went on a rant...oops!

Thanx for wishes and hope you visit my blog and give advice if you see anything wrong. thanx!!

Your place has a very nice base to work with! :) all the best with renovation!