Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jaykr

An Experiement In Designing My New Home

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

An update on the renovation :

Disclaimer : This is my opinion up till what I have seen so far. If there are any changes, I will update them at that point of time.

1. The renovation is very fast, am surprised at the speed of the workers. I feel like I am holding back the workers as some of the materials have not arrived yet.

2. The tilers that Alan has working for my place are really very good. What I have seen up till now, the workmanship of the laying of the tiles for the bathroom and the kitchen seem to be clean well aligned and seamless across. Even the windows area, I saw the tilers assistant going grinding and readjusting so many times just to fit it seamless to the window lines.

3. Whenever I spot an issue, usually it is a design communication problem, the tiler says, "No problem, I will redo it for you" . He re did two areas to what our expectations were. I got to really thank him for that as he had done 3/4 of the stuff and he took it down and re-did the place exactly the way I wanted it. That is what I call great service and workmanship! :bow:

4. There was some ceiling leakage problem. Some contractors just to get the work done, would not tell you and just cover up the ceiling and finish their work and go, however, the tiler called me up and ask me to take the photo and go to HDB and report it. If he had not told me about it, I would later be suffering with a ceiling leakage issue. So thanx again!! :D

There is still a lot of work to done done, but so far they have been pretty good, I will update further as we go along.

Here are couple of pictures from the last visit :

Kitchen backslash tiles & concrete base for cabinet :

8658977969_77b4c477c4_c.jpg

8660078398_07e0a4d7fd_c.jpg

Common Bathroom:

8658976877_97b0eeb16e_c.jpg

Master Bedroom Bathroom :

8658977255_4d1bfa1d35_c.jpg

An update on the renovation :

Disclaimer : This is my opinion up till what I have seen so far. If there are any changes, I will update them at that point of time.

1. The renovation is very fast, am surprised at the speed of the workers. I feel like I am holding back the workers as some of the materials have not arrived yet.

2. The tilers that Alan has working for my place are really very good. What I have seen up till now, the workmanship of the laying of the tiles for the bathroom and the kitchen seem to be clean well aligned and seamless across. Even the windows area, I saw the tilers assistant going grinding and readjusting so many times just to fit it seamless to the window lines.

3. Whenever I spot an issue, usually it is a design communication problem, the tiler says, "No problem, I will redo it for you" . He re did two areas to what our expectations were. I got to really thank him for that as he had done 3/4 of the stuff and he took it down and re-did the place exactly the way I wanted it. That is what I call great service and workmanship! :bow:

4. There was some ceiling leakage problem. Some contractors just to get the work done, would not tell you and just cover up the ceiling and finish their work and go, however, the tiler called me up and ask me to take the photo and go to HDB and report it. If he had not told me about it, I would later be suffering with a ceiling leakage issue. So thanx again!! :D

There is still a lot of work to done done, but so far they have been pretty good, I will update further as we go along.

Here are couple of pictures from the last visit :

Kitchen backslash tiles & concrete base for cabinet :

8658977969_77b4c477c4_c.jpg

8660078398_07e0a4d7fd_c.jpg

Common Bathroom:

8658976877_97b0eeb16e_c.jpg

Master Bedroom Bathroom :

8658977255_4d1bfa1d35_c.jpg

You are there often to can ask tiler to re-do for you? You are so lucky to get a good tiler...

Hi Bleucheeze,

Yup, I go there every day in the morning before my work starts and in the evening to do a full check for the day. if I am not there, then my partner goes there in the the afternoon and I go in the evening.

I feel that you must go there to check if they are doing it according to your expectations. I feel there can be communication breakdown or misunderstanding your requirements.

Its often easier to get them to repair earlier than later.

If I or my partner was not there, then we would not have been able capture the issues we found.

I am doing the checking myself as I feel the contractors expectations and my expectations would be different, Also, the design of my place was done by me, so I have specific expectations and would rather check it for myself to my satisfaction than someone tell me it is good :P

This is only the beginning, so I shall wait to see as they progress..... and will report if got any issues as I progress.....

You are there often to can ask tiler to re-do for you? You are so lucky to get a good tiler...

Jay, Can describe how this good tiler looks like? Our renovation is starting next week or the week after, hope to get the same 师傅 as yours!

Jay, Can describe how this good tiler looks like? Our renovation is starting next week or the week after, hope to get the same 师傅 as yours!

So fast hor yours is starting le!

Jaykr, my reno is almost ending... now left carpentry and installation of remaining lights.

Hi MK,

I just want to put a disclaimer that this is just the beginning of the renovation, so my initial opinions, wait, this weekend I would go and do a more detailed inspection and see if I can spot issues, also they have more work to be done next week/ Hopefully, they carry out a good work.

I will PM you the details. =)

Hi Potatoes,

Thank you for the wishes. Much appreciated and needed !

Saw that you went through a lot issue resolution and decision making during your renovation, but came out with a pretty good looking home!

Similar to you, I am keeping my marble flooring and just polishing it.

Please view what I am doing in my renovation and if you have any feedback or things you think could be done better, please inform since I am a newbie and a 1st timer in renovating my home. thanx!!

Hi Jaykr, big n nice place you ve got! I love your layout. Wish u smooth reno journey.

Hmmm.....not sure if it is different group of tilers..... Anyone got a chinese male with a small moustache?

seems that alan is using different groups of tilers?

Hmmm.....not sure if it is different group of tilers..... Anyone got a chinese male with a small moustache?

Ya, I'm pretty sure he has different groups of tilers.

Hi Retchlow,

I think it is the same tiler with the toothy grin and a pretty nice guy.

mine that time no moustache..but dunno if he started growing one after that..