Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Mrcontractor

Guides To Renovation

I searched for a good team that would provide me construction services for around three weeks. I was searching online for different local companies and their reviews. In the end, a friend of mine gave me the recommendation to call this one company that he had used in the past. His recommendation was what pushed me to explore this company and ultimately contract them. Thanks to them, I felt like I had made the right decision for the first time in a long time. They repaired the siding, and I am very delighted with their work.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Wow very informative posts. Just to share my experience. I was quoted $360 to replace 4 db box doors and was shocked to find out that rather than replacing, they use the original HDB BTO db box door, laminate it and sell it back to me at that price! Also, I have told my ID many many times that I want to keep the original door & 12 soft close hinges. He conveniently say he forgotten and all the hinges & door are "disposed" off. 

Usually when we find a contractor, does it mean plumber and electrician are included too? Or I have to find my own plumber and electrician then get them to talk to my contractor on schedule or placement?

Good day Mr. Contractor,

So far this is the best information I have read in the forum for a layman.

Thanks for the guidance and I was lucky to check with my ID that who will be

liaising to get the tiles (Tiles originally from HDB) after hacking some walls.

I was surprised that my ID throw back to me to call HDB and check who is the

tiles supplier for my new flat and also to get the tiles quotation.

Therefore I am confused whether is mine a ID or a contractor. In the end, I got

frustrated and get him to do the job. He charged me hundred plus to buy and

delivered the tiles

Not sure if this is the practice, my quotation with my ID has been throwing to

and back for the 5th to 6th times and I haven’t sign with them yet till everything

is confirm.

When we first met, we discussed the designs we wanted and 2 weeks later we received

the quotation from them. After reviewing, we revert on the renovation works we felt

necessary to stay in the quotation, however I realised that each time quotation reviewed,

the “works” in the quotation list is getting lesser and lesser.

Since items are getting lesser and lesser and the quotation price still remains the same,

I assume his quotation is getting more and more expensive. Each time we asked, she / he

gave us excuses like “previously forgot to quo, went to your house and we realised the

item is bigger than we expected, under quo previously and previously is half height now

is full height”

I mean whether full or half height, this has been communicated during the first meet up.

That means either he is not paying attention previously or he is trying to play around

with the quotation.

In the end we realised that he paying around with the quotation, she / he was taken aback

during the last quotation, we removed a few items costing thousands and he went honest to

tell us that she / he can’t give us anymore free items because we did not hit $60k.

Honestly, what is wrong is IDs and Contractors nowadays? We understand that they need to eat

and profit as well but not in this kind of attitude. Previously was even worst encountered

with an ID who advertise his own house in magazine, we just called and enquired and guess

what’s the first question he asked? “What’s your budget? If you don’t have $60K, don’t look

for us!”

This is such a great thread, thank you Mrcontractor for starting and maintaining this!

I've heard so many stories of my friends being cheated, simply because the "IDs" they are engaging are not really IDs, but contractors or project managers. More like design-and-builds. So they expect to deal with a proper ID from start to end, but start facing alot of issues, talking to sales and project managers instead, and having the renovation process go horribly.

Saw this article going around recently and I think it's a clear overview of the differences. Have been researching a lot before I even approach any firms, and I think it's important to know whether it's a honest or dishonest place.

stories.cromly.com/stories/article/guide-differences-between-interior-designers-contractors-and-design-and-builds

Hope you guys find this useful too.

Dear all,

would like to have feedbacks on the kind of topics which most of you will benefit from. I am trying to put my knowledge into words to allow others to benefit from it.

feel free to let me know which are the areas needed.

mrcontractor

Hi

I received the following carpentry price..

(1) To fabricate and install suspended 40ft kitchen cabinets, c/w soft closing hinges, laminated ext.~SGD4400

(2) To fabricate and install 9ft casement wardrobe, c/w soft closing hinges, laminated ext - SGD 2520

(3) To fabricate and install 5ft casement wardrobe, c/w soft closing hinges, laminated ext. - SGD1440

(4) To fabricate and install 7ft, shoe rack, T.V console, c/w soft closing hinges, laminated ext. - SGD1200

(5) To fabricate and install vanity cabinet at MBR toilet, 3ft - SGD900

May i know is it expensive ??

Dear Mrcontractor,

Appreciate your advice so far.. really helpful!

Back to the topic of tiling, my contractor has quoted me a lump sum of $3,375 to lay homogenous floor tiles for living and walkway. I was quoted based on S$2 to S$3 per sqft tile. He told me that he would only rebate if the tiles I choose fall below S$2 per sqft. Is this an industry practise? That means it would make more sense for me to select tiles at the 'upper' limit say S$3 per sqft or so to make it worth the price? I have not been given any restrictions on tile suppliers.

Hope you could advise me as it is also the same for my toilet tiles as well...

By the way, mine's a 4 room BTO.

Hear from you soonest!

Thank you in advance

Jon

Dear Mr Contractor,

(1) There was one particular ID requested me to pay certain amount of $$ to view the 3D drawings. If the 3D drawings is accepted by me (No idea how many pieces would be), then we proceed paying 25% for acceptance in the agreement. If not most ID, would be 20-30% pay for acceptance into the agreement.

My question is we as a consumer could negotiate on the payment terms? I do notice that most of the last amount is only 5%.

(2) Vinyl Flooring is a type that comes with rubber. May we know what the general thickness available in the market?

(3) What is the average cost to install a lighting point & a electrical socket point? How about if it is relocation?

(4) Should we go for a renovation package (Sort like a Combo Meal) or ala-carte package in which we tell our requirements to the ID?

Oh, I think I forgot to post (had wanted to!). Thank you Mrcontractor, I was wondering about my L Box - how wide it should be and chanced upon your thread. It is really informative and helpful - please keep this up!!

Thanks again! Cheerios~

Thanks for the feedback! I think electrical is one of the most sought after works. I will cover that in my next topic. Stay tuned!

Please advise is this quote from ID expensive.

Construct store room 1m x 1.8m =$1,550

Construct study room 2.3m x 3m = $2,550

Door frame for the rooms $140 each