Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jsll

When Should I Start Looking For Id?

Dear all,

As I'm expecting my new place to be ready in end2014 or early2015.

When should I start shopping around for ID?

If I were to start shopping from early2014... Will it be too early?

Cos I want to reno almost immediate once TOP and collected keys as we need to move in fast fast.

Advise please.

Much appreciated.

Thanks thanks!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Thanks May_dream1

As we travels a lot and also can't be going to visit and meet up with ID on every weekends... Thus was thinking to start shopping for ID on early2014 (taking ino consideration that we can most meet up only 1 ID each month).

Is that still ok?

Only some ID will be that patient to meet you so much in advance so those willing means they are desperate for jobs. You consider that point.

There's no hard and fast rule when it comes to meeting ID n such. Do as you deem fit.

U said it yourself, meet 1 ID per month. That is only if u r meeting them once, if u meet a few IDs a few times, u may even

wanna start now. But then u have to ask yourself this question, if u are an ID yourself, will you be able to guarantee material,

labour costs etc in 1-2 years time? Depending on what reno u plan to do, if it is only a 100K vs 10K job, the level of attention

may be different.

Good luck in your hunt :yamseng:

is it normal for an ID to quote 60k-80k :jawdrop: just by looking at the floorplan and we have yet to discuss what is needed for reno or have our first meetup?

i'm overwhelmed by amount as my budget is around 40k...should i even go for the meetup appt?

is it normal for an ID to quote 60k-80k :jawdrop: just by looking at the floorplan and we have yet to discuss what is needed for reno or have our first meetup?

i'm overwhelmed by amount as my budget is around 40k...should i even go for the meetup appt?

Normally ID just give a rough quote when they look at your floor plan. Even without discussing with you how they know what work is to be done? From my experience with so many different IDs, when they give you a rough quote, and u did not sound out that its way too ex, etc and meet up with them, after discussion, what they quote u will be around the price that they give in the first place.

Monk,

Maybe it could be due to the things that u want to do. My advice is to AT LEAST have an idea of what you want. List them down

then u can blast that lists to a handful of IDs and contractors. From there, u will have a "feel" of the average price and u

can then move from there.

Monk,

Maybe it could be due to the things that u want to do. My advice is to AT LEAST have an idea of what you want. List them down

then u can blast that lists to a handful of IDs and contractors. From there, u will have a "feel" of the average price and u

can then move from there.

I know what i want to reno for my resale.

Just that i only sent him my floorplan, told him the theme i want and will be changing the flooring, kitchen and bathrooms.

I didnt even list down the list of actual things that i want to reno/add as he requested that we meet up to discuss the details instead...and then he added to prepare budget of around 60k-80k...i'm like :jawdrop: ......

am wondering if he will be willing to follow up after the meetup if he knows my budget is 40+K instead... :unsure:

Just to share.

My friend received her keys about 9months ahead of her expected TOP.

And now she's caught with the need and rush to meet up with IDs to discuss and compare quote.... So she was telling me to start after 2014CNY since my expected TOP is on 2015 (Dev did mentioned that they are working towards 1stQ 2015).

So, can anyone advise whether I should wait first or rather now start getting few referrals and see their workmanship first before start talking to them or I will just proceed to give them my floor plan after next CNY? (Next CNY is only about in 10months time!!)

Looking at the calendar... It's really scary and ow fast time flies.....

Edited by jsll

Just to share.

My friend received her keys about 9months ahead of her expected TOP.

And now she's caught with the need and rush to meet up with IDs to discuss and compare quote.... So she was telling me to start after 2014CNY since my expected TOP is on 2015 (Dev did mentioned that they are working towards 1stQ 2015).

So, can anyone advise whether I should wait first or rather now start getting few referrals and see their workmanship first before start talking to them or I will just proceed to give them my floor plan after next CNY? (Next CNY is only about in 10months time!!)

Looking at the calendar... It's really scary and ow fast time flies.....

first...i think you have to look at your timeline...if it's too early, like what Batman has mentioned...dont think any ID firm can guarantee material, labour costs etc.

based on my personal experiences, i started my research in dec 2012, start to make appts Jan 2013...took me 2 months from jan to feb to meet up all IDs (i have 8 IDs!!) at least once, then round 2, round 3 and finally decide the final ID to use..that with CNY and work...very tiring mentally.

I would advise you to start your research early....deciding what you want for your place and which or how many IDs to go for quotation...

assuming you will get your keys in jan 2015 and get only meet 1 ID a month and know what you want to do with your place...you could start as late as early 2014..provided you dont line up 10 IDs to select..

however....do note that you might have issues like...

- meeting IDs too early will be hard for them to give you a final price if it's way too early (normally the price they quoted you is valid for a month or 2)..and normally the IDs would like to see your place.

- meeting 1 ID a month will be tough as well if you have many IDs to meet and if you dont have an idea what you want to do with your place.

you can refer to my t-blog for the list of IDs i have been to...i chose the IDs with the best reviews in renotalk after my research.

all the best to your reno journey.. :)